** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

At what point do you say "enough is enough?"

danno375

Just a quick thread as there seems to be a few people asking when to pack in and accept that the cards are going to be tricky. In short......when do you stop playing because you have won enough......or when do you stop playing because you are losing too much. To illustrate........ I lost $200 last night......and Everton got beaten by Chelski. Stopped as it was late and knew I wasn't in right mood to keep losses low! Today I won $400 then lost $200 when the old morons began calling anything. 7 9 has never been a strong hand with which to call a raise in my book! I am now wanting to play more to prove I am better than the fools on the 7 9 etc but am restraining myself as it may not be my day. Even when I am on tilt I don't go mental and call anything but I think a short period of self collection will do me good for an hour or two! Just wondered when you all think that you must stop. Danno.

Re: At what point do you say "enough is enough?" Expected value - like would you be winning (+EV) or losing (-EV) if you played the same hand an infinite number of times. I think 100,000 hands is about the point where it's considered statistically significant, so if you're winning after that many hands you're probably a winning player, and if you're losing you're probably a losing player. Losing players often turn into winning players as their game improves from playing a lot, though.

Re: At what point do you say "enough is enough?" I think the answer to my question is.......about 5 hours ago. lost every game since. some just hammered me with quad 6's!!! now if that isn't a sign i don't know what is. i hate sporting odds again you will be glad to hear

Re: At what point do you say "enough is enough?" good point GW - but I think he is talking about a single session? easy answer to your question is - when you want to tricky answer is..... are you playing poker for fun and hoping to make a bit? or playing it to win money? - if it is the first then stop when you are no longer having fun and keep playing whilst you are. If it is the second answer then you have to approach it like it is work - forget the fun ('cept for the $UP :)) this is about making money - so you need to decide before playing, how much you are prepared to lose before turning the computer off and if you lose that cash in the first hand, off the computer goes, no rebuy, no "I was unlucky" bollocks, just SWITCH IT OFF. Now, picking how much you are winning before shutting off is tricky :) again only you can make that choice - is it doubling your buy in? trebling etc - you make that choice, but again you MUST STICK TO IT. If you are serious about making money then treat it as work, not as something you play at - sounds dead boring and is - making money at poker is a effing grind at times, one way to allieviate that is to mix cash and SNG - but at the end of the day only you can decide what is right for you. For me I do max buy in on 2 tables - if I lose both stacks thats it - and I set myself the goal of winning twice my buy in (or until all the fish have sodded off after I have had their money and the REAL sharks have arrived) Don't play for long periods, don't play if you are tired, don't play to blow off steam etc etc etc. If I haven't made my double up and I am feeling like the above the machine goes off. It take discipline to become a good player and LOTS OF DISCIPLINE to become a winning one Hope this helps Damo :cheers

Expected value - like would you be winning (+EV) or losing (-EV) if you played the same hand an infinite number of times. I think 100,000 hands is about the point where it's considered statistically significant, so if you're winning after that many hands you're probably a winning player, and if you're losing you're probably a losing player. Losing players often turn into winning players as their game improves from playing a lot, though.

Re: At what point do you say "enough is enough?" For me Damo, it should be fun but unfortunately the sight of an increasing bank balance is addictive. I play due to boredom and for a degree of fun. The fun is also addictive but now I think it is to win that I play. That probably explains why I get a little upset about morons not playing to the rules! Like calling on trash hands when if they were "good" players they wouldn't risk their stack on the crap! perhaps I should be taking my winnings out more regularly. But to see $10 in your account is nice. Drop it to $5 and it isn't so much of an accolade. Same goes when you are up to $1000. Looks great and puts a smile on your face. "I will take $500 out when I get to $1500" But at $1501 you can't bear to drop it back to $1000! It is the beauty of a hard won bank roll that makes you play even when you can't even win in a one horse race! So.... I am not sure that I play for fun, pride or cash. Probably a mixture of all three. Danno the waffler.