Rugby Union - Super14 R1

First game up is Friday night (NZT) with the Blues v Hurricanes. The Blues have traditionally had the wood on the Hurricanes and looking at the two sides I expect the Blues to take this game. Both sides look strong on paper but there is still a large question mark over the Hurricanes tight five and whether they can deliver week in week out. I also believe that the Blues bench has a stronger look and with them being at home quite fancy the 1.55 on offer HTH. The margin is 4.5pts which is tempting but will play it safe due to the unpredicability of the Hurricanes and the lack of form on the board with a new season. Next game that catches my eye is the Cheetahs @2.50 v Bulls @1.50. The Cheetahs are one of the expansion sides this summer and although they won the local competition I expect them to struggle this year and this comp is a major step up. On the other hand the Bulls look one of the stronger SA sides and at 1.50 HTH even away from home have a bit of value IMO. Another SA derby is the Cats @1.75 v Stormers @2.00 HTH. I expect the Cats to be fighting to avoid last place and the Stormers to finish mid-table. I quite favour the Stormers here and am jumping at the 2.5pt start @ 1.90. Final game of betting interest to me is the Sharks @2.15 v Chiefs @1.65. The Sharks were disappointing last year in both the Super12 and Currie Cup. The Chiefs finished the Super12 strongly last year (five wins from six) and seem to have had a good build-up this year and gathering momentum (may be biased here as I do support the Chiefs). For those interested if pushed I would go the Blues, Brumbies, Bulls, Crusaders, Waratahs, Stormers and Chiefs to win this weekend. Only the Blues and Crusaders are at home which does go against the history of this comp a bit. Bets for week one: 1pt Blues to beat Hurricanes @ 1.55 (Centrebet) 1pt Bulls to beat Cheetahs @ 1.50 (NZTab) 1pt Stormers +2.5 v Cats @ 1.90 (Centrebet) 1pt Chiefs to beat Sharks @ 1.65 (NZTab) Good luck all. Cheers CK

Re: Rugby Union - Super14 R1 Amazing isn't it, only seems like yesterday that it was the Autumn tests... Thankgod it has begun again though there is nothing like waking up at 6:30 in the morning to watch rugby which is played on the otherside of the world:zzz The Blues are also my pick of the weekend. Interestingly the Brumbies captains run has been cancelled due to half the squad being struck down with a virus so backing the Force +8 may turn out to be a solid bet. I am tryintg to talk myself into backing the Reds too, but I am not sure I will touch them this season due to the situation with their dead rubber coach. Still good luck and good games.