backing favortite

usually the most think this is a bad ideer and i usually agree. But what about backing the favorite at over or under 2.5 goals. There are only 2 alternative outcomes over or under know draw that can mess things up and also the odds is usually quite generous. Any thouts about this? Best Regards John

Re: backing favortite

usually the most think this is a bad ideer and i usually agree. But what about backing the favorite at over or under 2.5 goals. There are only 2 alternative outcomes over or under know draw that can mess things up and also the odds is usually quite generous. Any thouts about this? Best Regards John
You don't back one team at over/under, you back the game itself.

Re: backing favortite You can't expect to make a sustainable profit from just backing favourites for the sake of it. All you will achieve is a smaller loss than backing the non-favourites. However, if you look at very short odds favourites (1.2 or less) it is possible to make a small profit (thought to be due to a "phenomenon" called the favourite-longshot bias). Check out DataPunter's Hot favourites thread in S+S.

yes thats true i typed it whrong, what do you think about the strategy? Best Regards John
Backing the over/under according to which one the bookies say is the favourite? It shouldn't work, for the reasons that sgt.sunshine explained. However you could backtest (i.e. get a list of historical odds and results and work it out) to see how much you would have lost/won by doing it over the past few seasons.

Re: backing favortite ok i thout it will worked with the over and under 2.5 option because that it is only 2 options and good odds even on the favorite 1.70. menaing i will in the long run if i win 2 out of 3 times. Whit 1.2 in odds i have to win 6 of 7 mathes or somthing like that. Best Regards John

Re: backing favortite paul03 do you know where i can find i list of odds? also if we do a system and take the france league 1 and take all the matches there for under 2.5. will perhaps the norway league shall have an over 2.5 thats what i have heard anyway. Best Regards John

ok i thout it will worked with the over and under 2.5 option because that it is only 2 options and good odds even on the favorite 1.70. menaing i will in the long run if i win 2 out of 3 times. Whit 1.2 in odds i have to win 6 of 7 mathes or somthing like that. Best Regards John
'Good odds' is a relative term. It all depends on how likely any particular outcome is, having to win 2/3 is no good if you only win 3/5. www.footballdata.co.uk has an exhaustive list of odds for a number of leagues going back a number of years, thats always a good starting point.