Betfair data

PAULM03

Re: Betfair data Hi, Paul.....sounds like an obvious question, but have you tried Betfair? You could try e-mailing them, or checking their own 'betfair in house' forum, or post your query on the soccer forum. As you probably know, figures are available for each market on the day it is traded. The most traded matches are likely to be Premier, televised matches, and most traded markets are match result, perhaps over/under goals and possibly correct scores. GL.

Re: Betfair data

do you have a cunning plan ?
Not a plan as such at the moment, just for a bit of research. Just been reading up on the favourite-longshot bias, and it seems to be suggested that the largest biases are found where there is the highest proportion of 'mug punters'. This got me thinking which footie markets have the highest and lowest proportion of mugs. At a guess I would say the weekend popular euro leagues (Italy, France, Spain) and EPL/CC championship have the highest (high volume and large number of casual betters) whilst midweek markets have the lowest (lower volume and less casual betters). It also got me thinking that this may be a partial explanation for your relatively poor performance in midweek matches, the smaller number of casual betters (i.e. people who could be defined by having no discernible strategy and risking a little to win a lot) means that bookies reduce the price on the favourites therefore eroding any bias that might exist on a weekend.

Re: Betfair data You can download data on all sports at their developers forum - http://bdp.betfair.com/bdpforum/index.php They are zipped text files which can be loaded into Access and then you can apply filters if you want to make the data more manageable say for copying into Excel. The data is great if you're a bit of a saddo like me and like to wade your way through 10s of thousands of lines of data....

Not a plan as such at the moment, just for a bit of research. Just been reading up on the favourite-longshot bias, and it seems to be suggested that the largest biases are found where there is the highest proportion of 'mug punters'. This got me thinking which footie markets have the highest and lowest proportion of mugs. At a guess I would say the weekend popular euro leagues (Italy, France, Spain) and EPL/CC championship have the highest (high volume and large number of casual betters) whilst midweek markets have the lowest (lower volume and less casual betters). It also got me thinking that this may be a partial explanation for your relatively poor performance in midweek matches, the smaller number of casual betters (i.e. people who could be defined by having no discernible strategy and risking a little to win a lot) means that bookies reduce the price on the favourites therefore eroding any bias that might exist on a weekend.
Hopefully not being too obvious to insult your intelligence, but think of teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and Spurs who are probably the most popular teams in the UK. I'm sure there will be a minority (but because the team has a large fan base) bet each week for their team to win, therefore artificially shortening the odds :)

Hopefully not being obvious to insult your intelligence, but think of teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and Spurs who are probably the most popular teams in the UK. I'm sure there will be a minority (but because the team has a large fan base) bet each week for their team to win, therefore artificially shortening the odds :)
Aye, but part of the theory is that these are the mugs who you want to be betting with you so you set a higher price to get them in;). I know this doesn't really apply to Betfair, but bookmakers prices tend to push them up too.

Aye' date=' but part of the theory is that these are the mugs who you want to be betting with you so you set a higher price to get them in;). I know this doesn't really apply to Betfair, but bookmakers prices tend to push them up too.[/quote'] Good point, is there any evidence to suggest that bookies use the strong favourites as 'loss leaders'? i.e. they are prepared to take the small hit that comes with slightly overpricing strong favourites or popular sides in order to get the mugs in who would regularly back longer (though underpriced) selections.

Good point, is there any evidence to suggest that bookies use the strong favourites as 'loss leaders'? i.e. they are prepared to take the small hit that comes with slightly overpricing strong favourites or popular sides in order to get the mugs in who would regularly back longer (though underpriced) selections.
No evidence unfortunately. Just like the theory:) .