** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Long term tennis

Re: Long term tennis Now to the ATP: Acasuso-Volandri Clay courters at their best- Volandri with 0-8 on hard courts this year! Acasuso somewhat better, but only average on clay. Tough competition for Acasuso in Argentina, I feel Volandri is still better as his clay court record indicates. Verdict: 45-55 Bet: no Roddick-Hewitt Think they got this one right - will likely depend on how many times Hewitt may be able to say "COME ON" this year in Melbourne. Verdict: 65-35 Bet: no Gonzalez-Gaudio Gaudio confirmed his strength on clay this year, but can't do anything on hard courts. Gonzo can play decent on all surfaces. Verdict: 50-50 Bet: no Gasquet-Robredo Did I say I like Tojo over Robredo? I love Gasquet over Robredo!!! Much praise for the young gun, and I think he's a top 10 player. Verdict: 70-30 Bet Gasquet Big! Federer-Nadal Nobet. Verdict: 60-40 Bet: No Stepanek-Kiefer I fancy Kiefer in this one, despite his shaky performances in finals he's a top hard courter. Verdict: 45-55 Bet: Kiefer medium Moya-Rochus O. I like Rochus's attitude, but he can't do anything on clay - Moya had an average last year - can't back any of those two. Verdict: 50-50 Bet: No Nalbandian-Coria Bandy's rating is quite high after the Mastes Win, but I am not sure if he can continue this way. Think it's right priced. Verdict: 60-40 Bet: no Blake-Ginepri Plenty of books offering this, I'd go 55-45 for Blake so price is right. Nobet for me, it's too hard to decide on this one. Berdych-Grosjean Another promising young player vs an experienced one. Much like Gasquet I feel Berdych has got what it takes to reach the Top 10, and I feel he will have a better year than Grosjean. 60-40 Bet: Berdych small

Re: Long term tennis

Oh come on ed' date=' that's very harsh. His forehand is awesome too. Hope he's back to prove you wrong:hope :D.[/quote'] I have only 3 impressions of that lad - his run to the SF of the US Open in 2004, his titanic world-record of aces served in a match(but still lost ultimately) against Agassi at the Aussie Open this year and his hopelessly amateurish display against Seppi in Rome(on clay). Personally, I think players like that are spoiling the game, really. I don't think there's any decent big server out there besides Roddick who has any sort of a game to rely on besides their serves. Just my opinion though... :lol

I have only 3 impressions of that lad - his run to the SF of the US Open in 2004, his titanic world-record of aces served in a match(but still lost ultimately) against Agassi at the Aussie Open this year and his hopelessly amateurish display against Seppi in Rome(on clay).
Yeah he is ****ing clueless on clay:lol Does anyone think any other bookies will put up markets? Pretty much got my bets sorted but want to see if anything else will be available:unsure

One that caught my attention is Johansson over Robredo. I feel Robredo is still overrated - he is one of the most inconsistent players on the tour and his hard court abilities are far from great. Johansson had some quite good results this year and I see no reason he's the outsider in that match.
Johansson actually drifted out to 2.32:eek. Me likes:loon

Re: Long term tennis 4pts Rafael Nadal Grand Slams: None @ 5/6 VC 2pts To end year in top 8: Berdych @ 7/2 VC

2pts To end year in top 8: Ferrero @ 5/1 VC

4pts Double:

MONFILS v Djokovic @ 8/11

GASQUET v Ljubicic @ 8/11.................@ 2.98 VC

4pt Double

CORIA v Ferrer @ 4/7

Top USA player: Roddick @ 4/6............@ 2.62 VC

4pt Double

RODDICK v Hewitt @ 8/11

NALBANDIAN v Safin @ 5/6...............@ 3.17 PaddyPower

4pt Double

FEDERER v Rest of the World @ 1.61

FERRERO v Ferrer @ 1.70....................@ 2.74 Unibet

4pts BLAKE v Ginepri @ 2.10 Unibet

(Unibet bets void if any don’t compete in Australian Open)

4pt Double

BERDYCH v Murray @ 4/5

NALBANDIAN v Ljubicic @ 4/5............@ 3.24 StanJames

4pts T JOHANSSON v Robredo @ 2.32 Expekt

4pts MURRAY v Monfils @ 2.20 Expekt

4pt Double

GONZALEZ v Ginepri @ 1.73

DJOKOVIC v Santoro @ 1.42.................@ 2.46 Expekt

Total staked: 44pts

A few quick words about the ones I haven’t already mentioned:

Nadal not to win a slam. I’m not too sure about Nadal next year. He has only had one great year and I feel this could be a bit stale for him, just like we saw with Roddick, Hewitt, Safin a few years ago. Also, I’d really really doubt he has enough to do much damage at Wimbledon or the US Open. The Aussie Open courts should be good for him but I can’t see him beating Federer on that surface. Would also fancy Roddick, Hewitt, Nalbandian as well as Safin or Agassi if either are fit to give him a beating. Even someone like Berdych or Ferrero would have a decent shot I feel. So that leaves the French, where, unless something dramatic happens from now till then, he will start off at favourite. However, I have to feel he will be overrated there after the win over Federer. Everyone who saw that much must know that Federer played an awful match. His serve was well off and his forehand was atrocious. The only set he played decently he won at a canter. We have no idea what shape/form Nadal will be in but I feel there will be a few who can take him out – Federer, Gasquet, Coria and maybe one or two others if they can get there arses into gear at the right time. Feel this should certainly be shorter than 1.83, more like 1.60.

“FEDERER v Rest of the World @ 1.61”. This is basically Federer to win the Champions Race. Best price elsewhere is 1.50. I’ve just said what I think about Nadal and that is a big factor here. Can’t see anyone else with the potential to kick enough ass all year to get close to Fed so long as he stays fit and motivated. Come on, it’s Federer, we have seen him dominate the Champions Race for the past 2 years and I feel he is slightly under 1.50 to do the hat-trick.

Gonzalez v Ginepri. Another case of Ginepri being overrated after a strong 2nd half to the year. Gonzalez is the real deal and I expect another strong year from him. He, along with Federer and Nalbandian, has a genuine chance to make the semis at every slam. His serve and huge forehand will continue to cause problems all year round. Can see him finishing at least 10 places ahead of Ginepri.

Think that’s it. Hopefully I’ll be bumping this thread in 12 months time:hope .

Gonzalez v Ginepri. Another case of Ginepri being overrated after a strong 2nd half to the year. Gonzalez is the real deal and I expect another strong year from him. He, along with Federer and Nalbandian, has a genuine chance to make the semis at every slam. His serve and huge forehand will continue to cause problems all year round. Can see him finishing at least 10 places ahead of Ginepri.

Think that’s it. Hopefully I’ll be bumping this thread in 12 months time:hope .

I have to say that's a very massive overstatement, mate! Gonzalez and Bandy has a chance of making the semis at every slam? Come on, only Federer has the consistency and ability to be put in that bracket... :lol

I have to say that's a very massive overstatement, mate! Gonzalez and Bandy has a chance of making the semis at every slam? Come on, only Federer has the consistency and ability to be put in that bracket... :lol
Not quite what I'm saying ed. I'm not saying I think either of those will reach 4 GS semis in a year. But, before each slam you look at a like of 7 or 8 guys you think can make the semis, those two will be on the list for every one - surprised how good Gonzo was on grass this year actually. Basically I'm saying they can play on every surface and will pick up lots of points in slams:unsure .

Not quite what I'm saying ed. I'm not saying I think either of those will reach 4 GS semis in a year. But, before each slam you look at a like of 7 or 8 guys you think can make the semis, those two will be on the list for every one - surprised how good Gonzo was on grass this year actually. Basically I'm saying they can play on every surface and will pick up lots of points in slams:unsure .
Actually, I'm surprised how little impact Gonzalez has made in Grand Slams since the only run he had at the US Open a couple of years back. No disrespect to those 2, but let's be honest : besides Roland Garros, none of them will beat a fit Roddick or Hewitt under normal circumstances at any of the other Grand Slams. That's before considering both are very susceptible to upsets/giant-killings every now and then. It's just very hard to see them get there, given the way the draw is made which obviously favours the top seeds.

At least they are both seeded (as my guys Berdych and Ferrero will be). Bandy should be seeded about 6th for the Oz which is pretty decent.
I'm not convinced seedings will help their cause, really. Mind, for last year's Aussie Open, it was the first time in a long while the 4 men's semi-finalists were the top 4 seeds... :lol

Re: Long term tennis Nadal is injured and has pulled out of an event next week - think he'll be OK for the Aussie Open though. Safin is also out of an event next week, the same knee injury he has had since Wimbledon - I can see this threatening a lot of his season to be honest - Paddy Power have taken down the Nalbandian v Safin market:lol :lol :lol .

Re: Long term tennis True - I have already backed some long shots for the Aus. Open as I think it's quite possible nadal and safin wont participate.

Nadal is injured and has pulled out of an event next week - think he'll be OK for the Aussie Open though. Safin is also out of an event next week' date=' the same knee injury he has had since Wimbledon - I can see this threatening a lot of his season to be honest - Paddy Power have taken down the Nalbandian v Safin market:lol :lol :lol .[/quote']