Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths.

Valiant23

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths.

Thanks for the welcome. You've not updated how you are doing for a while. Have you given up?
As you can see I am trying (with good reason imo) to be very cautious about 'spending' on my poker, but this doesn't mean I won't ever. I now happily pay for low level STT's and MTT's.
Some people would watch me at the table and say, "Yes!";) but in all honesty I think this is the plateau where most players settle. I had a little win on Monday in a Betfair MTT, but at the moment I am trying to start making regular wins in STT's and take my game to a level approaching the better players on PL.

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. Hedonist, I'm pleased you like it.:ok It is the beginner that this thread is aimed at really. When I joined PL if it wasn't for the advice, support and guidance of Gaf? I would have quickly become lost and confused due to the variety of tourneys on offer (and the different terminology). I thought about the new members joining after me and saw one or two disturbing posts about people who possibly knew less than I did about poker and had already talked about losing thousands! I figured that seeing as PuntersLounge's experienced gamblers encouraged ensuring a profit that this was a decent example of how someone could start. :ok

• 5 months later...

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. Hi Valiant, I just wanted to add to the thanks and "well done's" above for this great thread. I initially read it a month or so back and it has really helped me get started in the world of poker (which can be absolutely baffling for a beginner!). To cut a long story short, I've now got $90 in my Blue Sq account, mostly thanks to winning the bankroll booster last week - but I now find I can pick my hands more confidently and generally speaking, finish in or around the money. Not massive amounts I know, but a definite start :) I hope to join you guys in some of the league games you have got going in the not too distant :ok

• 3 months later...

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. Hey, just started poker for fun with 2 cents / 5 cents limit on bet365 poker's room. And it is damn fun !! :) However I heard the term free roll and I decided to check it out. But I'm confused here. For example :

Wednesday 14th September $17.76 Mansion BB Freeroll $5145 (plus $1000 Bounty) for 346 players who have played 25H Blackjack in preceding week. Runs weekly for 4 weeks
How does that work ? How do I know if I want to enter that competition is free or not ? What does $17.76 means ? Sorry for the silly questions. Regards, Lost Newbie Poker Player :D

Hey, just started poker for fun with 2 cents / 5 cents limit on bet365 poker's room. And it is damn fun !! :) However I heard the term free roll and I decided to check it out. But I'm confused here. For example : How does that work ? How do I know if I want to enter that competition is free or not ? What does $17.76 means ? Sorry for the silly questions. Regards, Lost Newbie Poker Player :D
The $17.76 is what it would cost you to enter a similer tourney with the same prize fund and the same entries ie $6145/346 = $17.76. To qualify you must play 25 hands of blackjack but as we all play perfect blackjack on here that wont cost you much more than a $1.00 Prima freerolls have an entry of 10,000 for a $1000 fund therefore the value to us the punter is $0.10 To find out if it is truely free just try and enter it if it tells you cannot then you must need to do something such as play 100 raked hands at the cash tables. So the tricky bit is trying to work out if you can lose less than the value of the entry to the tourney at the cash tables.:wall

So the tricky bit is trying to work out if you can lose less than the value of the entry to the tourney at the cash tables.:wall
This is the important thing for me, for the Sporting Odds 50up freeroll I know I can qualify easily at low cost, the same for the Blue Square bubble but earning 100 or 1000 raked hands in a week on sites I do not normally play scares me, I think I may lose more that the entry value.

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. To be fair though the 'value' aspect shouldn't really bear too much influence on whether a new player plays them or not. Obviously they should try and play the better value freerolls, but at the very early stage of any poker career its just about logging on, regging for the freerolls and trying to make yourself a bankroll with the poker sites money. :ok

How does that work ? How do I know if I want to enter that competition is free or not ?
The thread that you got that quote from relates mostly to non "genuine" freerolls - i.e. you have to "earn" the right to play in them...... if you are a beginner then the recommendation HAS to be not to go for them - as it will almost certainly cost you more to qualify than it is worth ..... in fact as a beginner I would say you should not be playing cash/ring games at all ...... you should be playing freerolls and small buy in tournaments.....

The thread that you got that quote from relates mostly to non "genuine" freerolls - i.e. you have to "earn" the right to play in them...... if you are a beginner then the recommendation HAS to be not to go for them - as it will almost certainly cost you more to qualify than it is worth ..... in fact as a beginner I would say you should not be playing cash/ring games at all ...... you should be playing freerolls and small buy in tournaments.....
Meant to say too - make sure you read the daily diary to see the good genuine freerolls that are out there :ok

i joined after this thread started so i've never read it before ,big up for mr v:clap :clap . full of great advice for any new player ,and through personal experience i know it works:ok
I echo these comments Great advice from a PL legend, and also the 1st time ive read them myself Well done Andy:ok

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. Just a thought...if the best pieces of information from the whole poker forum were put together in a book... ''The PuntersLounge guide to Poker'' or ''How to play poker with other people's money'' or simply ''The Dummies guide to poker!'' Could be a lucrative sideline for the forum. {First time I've read this thread...some top advice there!}

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. My first time here too. Nice to see how dedication and a bit of effort can turn all of us into profitable players, thanks for the thread. Mr V - now that you've got yourself a bankroll, do you still play in freerolls? Or have you stepped up limits to increase profits?

My first time here too. Nice to see how dedication and a bit of effort can turn all of us into profitable players, thanks for the thread. Mr V - now that you've got yourself a bankroll, do you still play in freerolls? Or have you stepped up limits to increase profits?
i dunno about mr vs views ,but i would say a constant progression in line with your bankroll is the way to go .if you have done well enough at step 1 then move to a higher level doesnt mean you should'nt still play a few good value freerolls as well or lower stakes games that are worth it,but if you see a good value tourney or fancy a few stts then you can go for it . the play at higher levels does not differ greatly from lower levels(except crazy freerolls)so as long as you keep your buy ins at a safe level (i use 5% of stack as a limit)you can't go downhill to quickly. since january i have pretty much started as mr v did ,except i deposited the minimum into each site i downloaded(usually $10or$20)mainly for bonuses etc. since then i have consentrated on around 6 diffrent sites ,keeping my bankroll in each site and not taking any out. using a very similar start to mrv i steadily got my bankrolls up in each of the sites, then as it went up i increased my buy in level to adjust to my bankroll . once i got up to a decent level i started working off my bonuses on the cash tables ,mind you i have only had time to do that on one site really:eyes time allowing i will have a go at the rest soon. by doing this i now have 4 sites with well over $300 in them with 1 nearly at$500 and all are over the$150 mark. i found the first part the most difficult,but once the bankroll starts going up you can start bringing in some decent money. in the last 3 months i have managed to gain about $1200 which is just under 60%of my bankroll ,in the first 3 months i barely got $200 . i hope that by constantly increasing my buy ins with my bankroll ,i can get to a point in a couple of years where i can consider giving up work and play poker for a living:D with more people playing than ever before there is real money to be made, and although it can take a bit of time and effort one thing it does not need is a massive investment.

Uber - agree with your approach, however think you are at a different level to the target of this post by Mr V :ok Most newbies will not be making money on any buy in games they play......
i know what you mean gaf :ok and although i did start off with a small amount in each account and i'm not exactly a newbie ,i dont see why a new player that picks up the game quickly cannot do ok on low level buy ins after a few months on freerolls. the beauty of this game is that a player can pick up the basics in a few weeks and compete at a pretty good level . after all i had only been playing properly for about for about 3 months when i did well in the first maxim kop final which was also my first real live game. as long as the amount your buying in for doesnt effect your play(if your nervous about losing it dont buy in:spank )and you keep to a safe limit vs your bankroll you can always step back down a level if its not paying off. i am just trying to put across that even a newbie could go from a shoestring budget to crocadile skin loafers after a year or 2 of play without a big financial risk to themselves ,as long as they have a bit of luck and don't go silly it's very possible:ok

Re: Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. Uber - thanks. You've done well! :) You're right, it's all about bankroll management, which is what a lot of newbies miss out on. That's why I'm still playing $1 games, because I don't want to have to deposit any more money. It's very slow going, but I know that my 'roll will increase in size quicker as I move up stakes. So far I've avoided bonuses though.. they just never seemed worth the effort - since they're essentially just a rakeback scheme. It seems a nice way to grow your bankroll though.. I might have to start taking advantage of them.

Uber - thanks. You've done well! :) You're right, it's all about bankroll management, which is what a lot of newbies miss out on. That's why I'm still playing $1 games, because I don't want to have to deposit any more money. It's very slow going, but I know that my 'roll will increase in size quicker as I move up stakes. So far I've avoided bonuses though.. they just never seemed worth the effort - since they're essentially just a rakeback scheme. It seems a nice way to grow your bankroll though.. I might have to start taking advantage of them.
if you do ok on the cash tables and can profit on them even with the rake then the bonuses really help out :ok