NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10

A bit too early for my picks, but instead of leaving a blank message, I can say I really like the Sharks (San Jose) today on ML and can't see why the hell they should be @ odds against. Colorado (ML) to bt Edmonton also looks good. Maybe also the Mighty Ducks. All the above based on preseason form (see the other thread for standings - SJS with a purrrfect 7-0-0 record) Have to disagree with craig in the other thread - NYR @ over 5/2 (ML) represent tremendous value - not saying they will win, but no way Philly should be such an overwhelming fav in this one. Not touching the totals market as yet. And even these plays are sporting wagers this early into the season. May elaborate more, but much later than now;)

Re: NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10 Few thoughts on tonights games then.... Flyers (4/7 ladrbokes 60mins only) The team on paper, solid. They've lost a big leader in Roenick but replaced him with another leader and more importantly a better player in Forsberg. A fit Forsberg will be huge for the flyers, once he's settled in on a line the points will start flooding in. There defence is solid and hugely experienced backed up by some solid goaltending. Esche on top form, with that defence infront of him will be a tough nut to crack. On the other hand, the rangers, a strange looking side on paper. Pre season doesnt mean too much i know, but the 2 games ive seen them play, they didnt strike me as being anything above average. Although, Jagr's goal vs the islanders very nice!!. Onto Jagr, he is huge for them. If he can find a couple of guys to play with who compliment him well then who knows, but its tough finding those players. They have a lot of experience upfront, players who will get the points, but arent anything really special, straka, rucchin, rushinsky, nylander and hossa could suprise a few with his points total i think. But all those players would have to be on the top of there game to get the goals tonight and the first game of the season i just cant see them doing it. The defence looks pretty solid, but im very unsure about the goaltending. Weekes/Lundqvist just dont fill me with confidence at all im afraid. There both good backups but dont have the quality to be a starter and play 60 games a season. Forsberg and co versues the rangers back line Jagr and co versus the flyers back line There's only one winner for me, more threatening going forward, much more solid in defence and much better goaltending, im confident the flyers are going to pull through this. Pittsburgh (11/5 ladbrokes 60mins only) Probably sounds a little stupid but if this game wasnt the telivised game tonight, i'd leave it alone, but seeing as though ill be watching it, we may aswell have a little interest. A pretty close game on paper, both teams with plenty of attacking firepower (the pens having most) and both teams with solid defence and netminding (devils slightly better). Elias out for the first month or so is a big blow to new jersey, he is a key player. I'm sure Crosby will be out to live up to the hype in his first regular season game, so im expecting a big show from him. Could all come down to the netminding and who pefroms best on the night, but simply because they look a value price im going for the pens. Detroit (7/10 ladbrokes 60mins only) A game where i think in the end, the class of detroit will prevail. They have there young stars, and there veterans. Solid at the back, decent but not spectacular goaltending and firepower on all lines upfront. The blues, without doug weight just seem to be an average NHL team. There alright,they will work hard but i think when they come up against a solid team with that little bit of extra skill upfront like detroit then they will struggle. The defence and netminding is where the blues are strongest and i can see them winning a few low scoring games (mental note - remember this in a few weeks time when i start playing the over/under) but i i just think detroit will find a way round there defence and win. Will take a look at a couple more i think later on, so more thoughts if i fancy them too, liking the look of calgary at the moment i think..

Re: NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10

Although, Jagr's goal vs the islanders very nice!!. Onto Jagr, he is huge for them. If he can find a couple of guys to play with who compliment him well then who knows, but its tough finding those players.
They have these players in Straka - Jagr's long standing mate in many teams and bought exactly to complement Jagr, and Nylander (Jagr - Nylander - Straka is the first line). There are two other Czech forwards - very skillful Rucinsky and not that bad Prucha. They also have some experience @ the back - Kasparaitis the new skipper (Jagr turned it down not to be under immense pressure), Kondratev and again two Czech guys. This said, NYR are in the transition period, but importantly without the burden of Marc Messier (influential skipper, I know, but...). Anyway, no way a team should be that long @ the beginning of the season. I personally don't back long odds-on teams, so it would be no play or price pick to oppose - the case of today. Agree with the Pens @ a nice price, tho;)

Re: NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10 I see your point about Jagr, but im still not totally convinced, of course if straka finds a bit of form and nylander chips in then they will do well together, no doubting that, but its one of those situations where ill let them convince me before changing my mind. Shamelessly stolen from the news in my fantasy team league about Elias:- Oct 3 Elias continues to skate and work out on his own as he targets a November return to game action as he continues to recover from Hepatitis A, according to the Newark Star-Ledger . Recommendation: Elias has been skating on his own every other day and doctors are monitoring his enzyme levels to make sure there isn't a setback. Regardless of when he is physically ready to return, he can't play until Oct. 29 at the earliest as he is starting the season on injured reserve. An early November return is more likely for the Devils winger. Keep track of his progress and if you can stash him on your bench, it could make a nice addition to your team.

Re: NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10 An interesting stat find: When ottawa played Toronto in the month of October in the past, the record from last 6 H2Hs reads 6-0-0 in Ottawa's favour. Now, this is a new NHL, but still there are trends from the past and they may be relevant psychologically (at least). The price on Ott win is nothing to write home about (1.71 @ Pinnacle), but the brave ones might consider Ottawa -1.5 @ 2.87 (which looks to be the most popular pick of the day on some US boards.;)

Re: NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10 OK - finalised the bets for today and there are three of them. Colorado to bt EDMONTON (ML) @ 2.27 - 2 pts @ Pinnacle Colorado were 4-0-2 in preseason, while Edmonton just 3-4-1. Conklin in the Oilers goal doesn't help either - Edmonton was the only team in the Northwest Divvy to end the preseason with a negative goal difference - and massively negative @ that (-9 goals in just eight games. I feel the forward lines of the Avs will take the Oilers' defence to pieces. The main reason for the pick is the Avs seem to be on their hot patch (not red hot as yet) while the Oilers are as cold as a piece of ice right now. No way the Avs should be such underdogs. San Jose to bt NASHVILLE @ 2.10 - 1 pt @ Pinnacle A lot has been said - a red hot team should never bee opposed, especially not at such a price. Nashville were just average in preseason (4-3 in 7) while the Sharks went 7-0-0. Enough said. What's made me make the Avs the main pick and the Sharks the normal one is too much money wagered on the Sharks (price has dropped fm 2.18 to 2.10 since last night) and the Sharks are a very popular pick across US forums, I am told. Anyway, we'll see. Ottawa to bt TORONTO in regulation (60 min) @ 2.30 - 1 pt @ SportingBet I love it when one team owns the other one - and 6-0 in the Sen's favor in L6 H2Hs says it all. I know these are absolutely different teams, different rules etc. but anyway - I just like it. Playing just the regulation as you can't get a decent price on ML and the handicap is too big. Best of luck to all who have had or will have a bet. It's just a start of the season and it may well start differently than I think (hopefully not);)

Re: NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10 Oh, fcuk - not sure what's happened there and if any of you NHL enthusiasts in the UK and elsewhere in Europe will get the pictures tonight, but our lovely cable and satellite TV station which usually covers it has just issued a notice "Sorry, the braodcasts of NHL matches will be on in about 14 days or so due to some technical issues from the NHL sides regarding closing contracts" :(- may well be similar elsewhere as there is a new NHL Network and I remember there have been some disagreements about the right. Let's hope it will change for the better;)

Re: NHL ice hockey - Wed 05/10 They've outshot them something like 14-3 so far, but still no cigar. ATM I'm just wondering where these overs are gonna come from - there are VERY few shots on goal in each of the games. TV - maybe our lovely guys are lying a little bit:(