Check or fold?

PAULM03

Hope this isn't a stupid questioncrossfingers.gif Say you're big blind and are dealt a poor hand say ''''''&'''££££&£££££ but everyone either folds or flat calls back round to you, is it better to just fold or check and see the flop seeing as your chips are already in? What are peoples opinions on the right way to use 'check' in general? I get the feeling it can be powerful when used correctly but has the potential to be overused.

Re: Check or fold?

Why would you fold? They're letting you see the flop for free. If you're holding trips after the flop you're not going to fold are you? So why throw it away??
I agree with George - you get to see the flop for free - you could end up at best with 4 kind, 3 kind 2 pair and then onto fullhouse. I wouldn't fold.

Re: Check or fold? Yeah mate you would ALWAYS check here. Whenever you gain a free flop or a free card (say everyone checked after the flop so you didnt have to pay anything to see the turn card) - you are getting infinite odds on picking up the pot. As people say in hold em, any 2 cards can win ;) although the only time these particular cards should be winning for you is if you are in the big blind and get a free flop :lol So yes check because who knows what could come in the flop, you may fold a winner.

Well in general a check would be used if you didnt like your hand or wanted to see another card for free. In most situations you would want to be betting if you liked your hand, not checking.
This is what I'm talking about. In the games I'm playing at the minute there seems to be a lot of limping in, having a look at the flop then checking. Which doesn't really make sense to me as this would appear to be advertising to anyone else that you haven't got anything, unless I'm missing something, (which is what I want to know) Surely at this point you would bet or fold?

This is what I'm talking about. In the games I'm playing at the minute there seems to be a lot of limping in, having a look at the flop then checking. Which doesn't really make sense to me as this would appear to be advertising to anyone else that you haven't got anything, unless I'm missing something, (which is what I want to know) Surely at this point you would bet or fold?
I'd echo what the other guys said. Why fold if you don't have to? In the example you gave where you held ''''''&''' ££££&£££££ If you had to call a raise then folding would probably be a good idea, but since you can check and see the flop for free ................why not? If your hand doesn't improve on the flop, then you can fold to any bet that is made, and it hasn't cost you a penny. If on the other hand the flop was: @@@@&@@@@@ ######'# !!!!!&!!!! Then you would probably be kicking the dog into the corner of the room, cursing the fact that you folded when you didn't need to tongue2.gif There are quite a few reasons for checking in other situations. Firstly is if there is the situation that Mr M described
You never fold when you can check. In general it does mean the flop hasnt helped their hand. If you had J 10 and the flop came 4 7 A If you were first to go, you wouldnt bet cos youre hands no good, but whats the purpose of folding? You may as well check.
In this sort of situation it is still quite possible for you to end up with a winning hand after seeing the turn and the river cards ( you could still make 2 pairs, 3 of a kind, a straight and (depending on the suits involved) a flush).................. You wouldn't want to be calling a large bet or putting all your chips in the middle and crossing your fingers hoping you end up making a winning hand, but as i said before if you get the chance to see if you can improve your hand for free, then why not? ............. you don't gain any advantage by folding, but you may gain by checking and seeing the next card.
this would appear to be advertising to anyone else that you haven't got anything, unless I'm missing something, (which is what I want to know) Surely at this point you would bet or fold? .
One of the reasons for checking i've given above........... you have nothing (or a weak hand) and want to see if you can improve it without committing more chips to the pot. So yes checking can give your opponents clues as to the strength of your hand. However there are other reasons that you (or your opponents) may decide to check. .......................... but I get up for work at 6.30 am and looking at the time now eek2.gif that explaination will have to wait until tommorrow .................... Damn my slow typing laugh4.gif

Re: Check or fold? IMHO you have to take each and every hand on it's merits and adjust into your thinking...stack stregnths, betting patterns, bluffs, semi-bluffs, setting traps etc, etc You could talk about checking til your blue in the face, which is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me.

Re: Check or fold? This is no doubt a beginners tactic, but I've still had success with it. If I flop the nuts for the 1st time at a table, I don't do anything at all except stay with the betting. If I get the chance I'll limp all the way. This may give someone an opportunity to get AA on the turn or river, which I hope will give them confidence to bet and pinch the pot. If they see that you had them beat after 3 cards and all you did was limp, it may give you some help when you need to bluff, but you certainly get more 'respect' at the table I've found. But then again my strategy must need some fine tuning, as I'm the only one on here not to have won anything. :o