New Haven tennis this week

Nobody interested in the tennis this week? I know it's the week before the Open and a pretty crappy tournament so should be avoided, but something stood out: VERDASCO v Soderling @ 1.80 VC Verdasco has taken a break for the past few weeks. His last action was in reaching the final in Kitzbuhel. He was impressive that week, eventually losing to Gaudio in 4. It's normally tough to make the transition from clay to hard, but the break will have done him good. This showed yesterday when he beat Hernych 6-0 6-4. This was a very good result IMO and should really help his confidence going into todays match. Verdasco has a big serve and forehand and is equally adept on hard courts as clay. Remember his two very good matches in the US earlier this year on hard courts? I'm really not sure about Soderling. He can be impressive but everything has to be working. Alot of the time he just seems very average. He has had three 2nd rounds defeats since Wimbledon. One of these was a retirement whilst losing to O Rochus so his fitness is a doubt. Looking back this year he won the indoor tournament early in the year in Milan, nut apart from that hasn't been past the 2nd round of a tournament:eek. Soderling beat Verdasco in 5 sets in there only meeting, in the French Open on clay, but Verdasco was 2 sets to love up and collapsed. I think this shows a mental toughness problem but also that Verdasco has Soderlings number (I know that was on clay) and may be looking for a little revenge;).

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.