Irish Racing - Is Mullins still the boss?

With the big race at Punchestown on Sunday fast approaching i thought it might be of interest to discuss the state of play across the Irish Sea at the moment.

We have all seen the removal of 60 horses from the Mullins string thanks to a falling out between the trainer and Gigginstown boss Michael O'Leary. Add to that the cracking form rival Gordon Elliot has shown so far this term and all of a sudden we have a battle for power in Irish racing for the first time in ages.

Willie Mullins

As already mentioned has lost an awful lot of fire power due to the split with Gigginstown but lets not forget his main stars are owned by Rich Ricci so the big Grade 1 prizes are still very much on the agenda.

Obviously they have also lost Vautour but have Faugheen, Annie Power, Dauvan, Un De Sceaux, Djakadam, Vroom Vroom Mag, Yorkhill, Min, Limini and a host of other top class runners. This years crop of French Imports have yet to show up any superstars but i'm sure after xmas we shall see one or two at the head of the Festival Novice Hurdle ante-post betting.

Gordon Elliott

No mistaking the threat from Elliott to the Mullins domination, its real. He was already the number two without the help of an influx of top class horses this season and although he has lost Don Cossack to injury he still has some serious Grade 1 runners in his yard. Don Cossack is likely to be back in February but a victory in the Gold Cup looks a long way off for me.

It was interesting the little dig O'Leary mentioned when Apples Jade won the other day, he said the defeat at Newcastle was probably down to the horse not being as fit as first thought when he arrived from the Mullins yard. If thats right then we could see those horses improve for their initial runs, such as Don Poli and a few others.

Joseph O'Brien

I know the likes of Henry de Bromhead and Noel Meade are top class trainers but they hav enever really thretened Mullins in numbers so it may be worth a quick line about Joseph O'Brien. His first proper season and has already struck at the highest level on the flat. Apparantly he has a stable full of 3/4yo's from his Dad ready to run over hurdles and i wouldn't be at all surprised to see this kid make it to the top of the Irish training ranks within 5 years.

Be happy to hear your thoughts on the way Irish racing is going, it had become very one-sided recently and i for one am glad that its not all about Mullins and Walsh.

:ok