ELO Type Ratings - Away matches

Hello,

I am looking for someone who has worked with ELO ratings or even anyone who may be able to offer advice.

I am tweaking my own rating system a bit by looking at how ELO ratings are done, so I have put together a spreadsheet of data and ELO rating forumla from another spreadsheet and I have come across an issue with Away Matches.

Here is the ELO Data.

Crystal Palace Rating -1.01
Liverpool Rating 297.39

Crystal Palace 2 Liverpool 4
Goal Diff 2
Result 0
Rating Diff -298.40
K Factor 50.00
Expected Result 0.15
Points 0

Crystal Palace New Rating -1.01
Liverpool New Rating 297.39

So the way ELO works is based on the rating from points derived from all the other data, with the points being added/subtracted from the pre-match ratings. Now all this is fine for Home matches and Draws but for Away matched there seems to be no points awared at all.

So from the above data, with Liverpool having a higher pre-match rating than Crystal Palace, then Liverpool win by 2 goals difference (Crystal Palace 2 Liverpool 4) however after all that both teams are awarded 0 points.

So, the whole basis for the points is really based on the Result part of the formula (ie 1 for Home  win, 0.5 for a draw and 0 for an away win.)

Why is this, can anyone explain why. Please look at my spreadsheet and look at the Crystal Palace - Liverpool data on line 95

Thanks

-0.24 73.29 148.69 -420.98 -147.40 295.11 -247.54 -148.19 -122.76 0.19 -25.21 247.54 297.39 76.00 -49.68 370.05 -123.30

newdata.xlsm

Opps, Sorry.

I found the reason and I had wrote the Points Formula down incorrectly.

So in Column AC the formula was
=IF(H5="","",SUM(W5*Y5*(AA5-AB5)))

and it should be
=IF(H5="","",SUM(AA5*W5*(Y5-AB5)))

Column AD is my temp formula for tweaking the points under experiment, so that needs to change as well, so copy the same formula in AD as well.