Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship

Aye, hes a good player but when it has come down to the crunch in the big ones, i.e. Wimbledon Semis hes come a cropper. Hats off to him last year for reaching the semis of Paris, top performance, best of his career by far. Hopefully the kids are coming through or its going to a barren few years for GB tennis
Looking at the Brits alone, Andrew Murray looks to be a bigger talent than Henman. We'll see in time to come though. ;)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the Brits alone' date=' Andrew Murray looks to be a bigger talent than Henman. We'll see in time to come though. ;)[/quote'] Agreed, hes the only one of recent years whos impressed me. Delgado had a good win over Monfils today but he never lived up to his junior career, lets hope Murray can :hope

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship To be fair Henman has been to semis of slams on 3 different surfaces so he is a very good tennis player, thats not a debate that anyone could argue. I'm not sure he is a bottler, just runs into someone better than him when he hits semi finals of tournaments. i.e he ran into Sampras 3 out of his 5 wimbledon semis :) I dont rate Murray btw, a decent junior but was hammered by McEnroe a few months ago :lol :lol just won a junior slam because of the appalling standard of it now. Monfils won 3 out of 4 last year and he is getting beat by no hopers like Delgado on his favourite surface :unsure

To be fair Henman has been to semis of slams on 3 different surfaces so he is a very good tennis player, thats not a debate that anyone could argue. I'm not sure he is a bottler, just runs into someone better than him when he hits semi finals of tournaments. i.e he ran into Sampras 3 out of his 5 wimbledon semis :) I dont rate Murray btw, a decent junior but was hammered by McEnroe a few months ago :lol :lol just won a junior slam because of the appalling standard of it now. Monfils won 3 out of 4 last year and he is getting beat by no hopers like Delgado on his favourite surface :unsure
LOL! :rollin I'm sure you could make the same case for tonnes of other players, Matt(basically, people who get a good run to the quarters or semis of a particular Slam). ;) Well, about the point concerning Murray - you draw your own conclusions. I rate Murray as a better player than Henman so you know how highly I think of the bottler... :lol

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship fancy debating the points I put up or not? :unsure If you rate Murray higher than Henman then Ill be happy to give you evens if they meet ;)

people who get a good run to the quarters or semis of a particular Slam
btw, not a "good run" consistent semis over a number of years and semis in THREE of the different slams. Dont think there are "loads of them" ;);)

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship when a player..... rated around 10 in the world for the last 5 yrs or so..... NEVER reaches his potential...... in my book, he's a bottler..... or, is there under false pretences. when henman faced ancic at wimbledon a few yrs ago,(was it the quarters?) are you trying to tell me he didn't bottle it? he just can't hold his game together, when under pressure, far too often. he has/had the ability, just got no balls. who else would be sponsored by mercedes for so many yrs to be a loser? EUNUCH;)

To be fair Henman has been to semis of slams on 3 different surfaces so he is a very good tennis player, thats not a debate that anyone could argue.
I'd gladly debate with you on this point - and if a matchup of Murray and Henman were to be thrown up anytime soon, I'd gladly settle for your offer of evens. So what makes a very good tennis player? Would you consider someone who has been to the semis of slams on 3 different surfaces a better player than someone who hasn't been to as many semis, but at least has had the honour of winning a Slam? Before we go any further, however, how would you rate a Thomas Johansson, Carlos Moya, Gaston Gaudio or Albert Costa(all Grand Slam winners)? If you hold the opinion that they too are very good tennis players, then I rest the case because we obviously are not on the same wavelength when it comes to defining 'very good' tennis players. And that's just strictly talking about the players who are still playing...

when a player..... rated around 10 in the world for the last 5 yrs or so..... NEVER reaches his potential...... in my book, he's a bottler..... or, is there under false pretences. when henman faced ancic at wimbledon a few yrs ago,(was it the quarters?) are you trying to tell me he didn't bottle it? he just can't hold his game together, when under pressure, far too often. he has/had the ability, just got no balls. who else would be sponsored by mercedes for so many yrs to be a loser? EUNUCH;)
Honestly, I've read so much about people saying what a great serve-volleyer he is and he's been compared to Pete Sampras ever so often. To me, no one is ever a great serve-volleyer if that's the only repertoire you could justifiably call an asset to your game. Sampras had much more than a serve-and-volley game(he was the first player to be honoured by ATP for serving 1000 aces in a year in case people didn't notice) and needless to say, Federer has much more in his arsenal than just charging up to the net. For starters, while I must give credit to Henman for the improvement in his game over the last year or two(since he recovered from the shoulder injury), I don't think any great player ever plays such a one-dimensional game and in many respects, I feel that's what has held him back - not to mention his nerves, or bottle, as some have already mentioned.

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship Bad luck on those who backed Johansson - that cnut went down 7-6, 6-1 to Kohlschreiber - now, just what could Srichaphan and Johansson do for a living if they turned their backs on tennis for a moment... :sad

Do you regard Matthew Stevens and Jimmy White as failures too edtkh ? If so, you're very much wrong in doing so and slating Henman for being as good as he is, is also wrong. Why don't you slate Parmar instead ?
:rollin Paul. There's a difference between failures and very good players, mate. I don't think anyone on this thread believes Henman is a failure(well, depending on your definition) as such, but a very good player? Put it this way, how many of you would seriously consider backing Henman to win Wimbledon(or make that a Grand Slam at any point in his career) a serious proposition(w/o the thought of laying him back at some stage)?

Here he is edtkh http://www.advantage-tennis.com/parmar/index.php Go sh!t on a truly bad player. :ok You can't honestly tell me you wouldn't class yourself as a very good player if you were as good as Henman ?
Put it this way, not everyone thinks Henman's a very good player(although you may consider him one). Either way, think it depends pretty much on where you're coming from and how you define a very good player. ;)

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship Guys, i lost yesterday on Srichaphan and i thought he would be a dead cert. Just shows you ! My hands a high i got this one wrong. But i did lump on Phillipouuusssssususususs (Is this the correct spelling). He was 11/10 with ukbetting today, we has definietly recovered my situation. Anybody have any advice for 2morrow games ? S

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship Just a quick look at tomorrow's games, hopefully no stupid selections like Srichaphan and Nalbandian this time. Won't place any bets until I've seen other people's thoughts. Santoro leads Safin 7-1 H2H (albeit none recently) so you have to question whether Safin just doesn't have the style of play to beat Santoro. Safin isn't a great grass court player. Worth a small bet on Mayer at around 9/1? Federer struggled in 1st round and as stated earlier Mayer's not a bad grass player. Not really sure I can see it - did anyone see the Federer match? Was he bad or Soderling playing above his normal level? Haas looks a great bet @ 1.40 - Melzer only really beats poor players on grass courts, and Haas is not one of those. Ancic should take out Hernych shouldn't he?

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship Just to let you know, i have seen it mantioned that Safin has injured a little... this may have been on www.sportinglife.com . So be careful !

Just a quick look at tomorrow's games, hopefully no stupid selections like Srichaphan and Nalbandian this time. Won't place any bets until I've seen other people's thoughts. Santoro leads Safin 7-1 H2H (albeit none recently) so you have to question whether Safin just doesn't have the style of play to beat Santoro. Safin isn't a great grass court player.

Just to let you know' date=' i have seen it mantioned that Safin has injured a little... this may have been on www.sportinglife.com . So be careful !
:rollin I'm not going to buy that anymore considering how well he played against Ferrero at Roland Garros despite supposedly being plagued by both blisters and tendinitis in the knee... :@ Well bunglesix, regarding Srichaphan, guess you could remember that cnut's name - together with Pavel and J Johansson - as morons not to back in future. ;)

JJ was supposed to be injured edtkh as I pointed out in the thread' date=' so I wouldn't put him on the Srichaphan list.[/quote']I'm speaking in general - JJ hasn't really lived up to what he delivered last year so far this season. With the exception of the ATP event he won leading up to the Aussie Open, I think he's been dissapointing really although the claycourt season obviously didn't help him. Having said that, I'm considering the thoughts of backing Santoro and Wang today - will be back later with more analysis... ;)

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship Bet of the day for me today has to be Santoro to beat Safin at 2.5 with Bet365. Santoro leads the H2H 7-1 and is in my opinion a better player on grass. Safin hates the stuff, im sure he once said its only meant for cows to graze on! :loon Hes picked up a niggling injury and if he starts poorly expect Santoro to canter to a 2-0 win

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship A couple of quick previews for Wednesday's matches... ;) 10pts Santoro-Wang YT (4.50 @ Ladbrokes) :( As dave has already mentioned, Santoro leads Safin 7-1 on h2h even though they haven't met since 2003 and they have never previously met on grass. While it's fair to say I'd gladly take the offer available for Safin had this been played on any other surface, I feel Santoro's experience on grass prove decisive here - not because Santoro has a better record as they both share a pretty similar career grasscourt W-L record, but Santoro just seems that bit more confident and less inclined to explode on this stuff. Wang YT may not be a name many are familiar with, but this Taiwanese has got an incredibly big serve which serves him ever so well on grass. To be fair, I thought he lost honourably to Roddick at Wimbledon last year as he did present the American with a few problems. No disrespect to Kohlschreiber, but he has no business to be here if Johansson had been fitter and had played to his potential. If Wang's nerves can survive the home crowd, I think he's a very worthy shot at evens. ;) 20pts Blake-Ancic (2.09 @ Ladbrokes) :D Ancic's pedigree on grass is proven and he should take out Hernych at a canter - pretty much self-explanatory IMO. Blake has got to be the value bet of the day for me. Hanescu is not comfortable on grass at all and it still amazes me how he could actually come back from a set down against Scott Draper(yes, the only professional golfer-cum-tennis player I know of :lol ) when he'd looked dead and buried. Having said that, however, Blake is a completely different proposition from Draper and even though the American's not the best grasscourt player around, I can only see one winner here given how uncomfortable Hanescu looked against Draper. Hanescu's really going to struggle on Blake's serves and I just can't see how he could live with that given the fact he struggled to break Draper. 15pts Beck-Roddick-Mirnyi (2.60 @ Ladbrokes) :D Beck will have too much experience for Mathieu who was a tad fortunate to have scraped through against Baghdatis. Similarly, Mirnyi should take out Sanguinetti at a canter given the Italian veteran's unnatural movement on grass. For a start, Mirnyi will have a big edge over Sanguinetti just in terms of his big serve alone - and I don't see Sanguinetti having too much to trouble Mirnyi. Lastly, while this will by no means be an easy match for Roddick, you can't help but feel Roddick will just have too much for Philippoussis in the battle of the big servers. While I must stress it wouldn't surprise me if this goes to a 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 scoreline, I still feel Roddick will have enough to prevail. 10pts Kim-Ancic (1.96 @ Ladbrokes) :( I'm sticking with Kim to see off Zib very much on the basis of what I saw of him against Srichaphan. I'm not too keen on reading too much into any stats for this one as both have little pedigree on grass. I know the Thai tosser bottled it somewhat, but there's no denying Kim did play pretty well on the night and if he repeats that performance, he should see off Zib IMO. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 150.35pts Profits/Losses : 50.35pts

Re: Tennis : Gerry Webber Open/Stella Artois Championship If you want to back Andreev, he is 8/11 at Sporting Odds, and higher at Betfair. Very suspicious. I can't see how Gasquet can lose today. I am rarely tempted by a 4/11 price, but today is one of those days. Olivier Rochus at 11/8 is a value bet against a rusty Lopez.