Boxing Day Racing - 26/12/2015

Cracking day of racing ahead. Not only the King George but the Racing Post Novice Chase at Leopardstown looks an absolute cracker and the Feltham looks a good Grade 1 too. Too bad the British have nothing to challenge Faugheen in the Christmas Hurdle and you would have to be very disappointed if he didn't get the job done there.

Enjoy studying the form the next few days.

Taken from my account on boards.ie

Ground is good to soft, soft in places at Kempton with some rain predicted in the next few days.

My thoughts are really the same as they were a few weeks ago. I have this nagging doubt about Don Cossack when the pressure is really on. He seems to really switch off in his races these days and I just wonder if he'll get caught out here in a race run at a frenetic pace. He didn't look like the winner turning for home in the Punchestown Gold Cup before staying on strongly and even at Down Royal I didn't really feel as if he traveled like a 3m superstar although I may be nit picking a bit there. At Cheltenham Uxizandre ran him into the ground when he made a few mistakes and I just wonder if he might one of those horses who smashes up weaker Grade 1 opposition but just falls short at the real top level.

There's too many concerns about Vautour to back him at 3/1. As I said previously I'm sure he'll stay as he put 15L between two very good horses up the hill in the JLT and connections seem to think the same. The concern is his two best runs have been at Cheltenham on good ground and Mullins has always stressed he is very hard to get fit so we may not see his best until March. I love the horse but there's too many concerns to back him in a race like this at the prices.

Cue Card never really fulfilled his promise but he has showed signs he can do it this season. His Betfair Chase victory was sensational even if Conti was below his best and the summer break as well as the breathing op seemed to have done him the world of good. He has tons of pace but also stays, jumps, is tactically versatile and he's my idea of the winner.

Silviniaco Conti has had his issues and the big drift before the off in the Betfair Chase was telling but if anyone can get him back to his best it's Paul Nicholls and I think he'll come on for that and challenge for the places. This is a better race than last year or the year before so winning is probably a stretch for him.

I'm not sure Smad Place will back up his excellent Hennessey run and even if he did I think more would be required to win. The initial talk of swerving the King George makes me think the seasonal goal was to win the Hennessey and he may not be able to reproduce that effort just a month later. Even though he put them away with ease First Lieutenant was 3rd and breathing issues have come too light since regarding Saphir de Rheu and running on the old ground on the outside probably was no help either so it wasn't the strongest race.

Can't have Al Ferof or Valseur Lido. Al Ferof has never been good enough to win this before and I can't see how he's good enough now in a stronger renewal. He's also probably better fresh and over 2 and a half as well. A lot of people seem to like Valseur Lido each way but I don't see it at all. He looks pretty exposed now as he was unable to bridge the gaps to the best novices last year so unless marathon trips bring more improvement (which he doesn't get in the King George) I can't see much more in him. He has to step up significantly to even place here.

Road to Riches is going to the Lexus and I doubt the other two will run looking at Betfair.

Holding off until closer to the day as bookies will likely push out the odds but the selection has to be Cue Card for me.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.