Monthly Naps Competition, Monday 14th December 2015

210 Ffos Las: Cloudy Copper 6/1 Coral

This looks like its going to be a right ld slog around Ffos Las in Heavy ground. We need a real mud lark and Cloudy Copper fits the bill. He stays all day at his own pace which isn't usually quick enough but he could drop in today.

Got outpaced on good ground at Exeter last time when well backed and Richard Johnson keeps the ride so he must think there is a win in him. Would really love to see African Gold win again but need to see him show something before following him. Hope he completes this time at least, a very talented horse.

Ffos 2.10- The Drinkmeister - win at 3/1 bog wm hill

Staying handicap chase, heavy ground

There's a few here that could be well handicapped on old form but there's a hell of a lot of non completions in the form figures

My horse is the youngest and least exposed over fences. His two runs on Heavy ground have provided a win (here) and a 2L defeat by As De Mee who's now rated 140.

On his seasonal and chase debut last time out he finished 5th in a decent race at Newbury, prominent until weakening and plugging on onepaced at the finish. Hopefully he'll come on a bit for the run and this looks easier. After his novice hurdle win connections said he will be a nice staying chaser in the mud

Current favourite is Royal Palladium.......he's OK on 'soft' but is unproven on 'heavy' and there's a suspicion he might be better right-handed

Cloudy Copper's win under rules have also come on right handed tracks. Been a bit disappointing over fences but he appears to act on 'heavy' and is coming down in the weight

5.10 Wolverhampton

Very poor looking card and this is probably the best of a bad bunch.

Rocket Ronnie looks back in the handicappers grip at present. Cosmic Ray might get a soft lead in this, first run for this yard, last win came off  a mark 3lb lower so something to prove at present. 

Robins Pearl was a winner last time out over the extended 1m1f around here but this drop in trip might not help him much.

Hercullian Prince has looked an improved horse since switching to Conor Dore, only just held last time out a 1lb rise looks very fair and could go well.

Hernando Torres is another likely pace angle but unlikely to get such a soft lead as last time and still looks a little high in the handicap still 4lb above last winning mark.

Star Links might be worth a chance at a price around here. Not won since Feb 2014 over the extended 1m1f around here that was off a mark of 87 running off 62 today having plummeted down the weights, last few starts have probably been lost at the start which is an obvious concern but if getting out on terms he is so well handicapped over a course he loves. 8 wins and 3 places from 22 starts around here.

1pt win Star Links 12/1 PP

Navan 1.40 Macs Legend @11/2 bet365 win thanks

Macs Legend........from Miss M L Hallahan yard I thought of my Uncle Mac that lives in England so I 'll pick it to save me reading the form of all the other horses ,

The 7yo has been placed in two hurdle races and two point-to-points from six starts he last ran 32 days ago in a hurdle race at Clonmel over 2m 4f heavy where he put in a good show to finish 2nd beaten 1.75 lengths by Oscar Sam with A E Lynch in saddle that day ,

The yard bring in a young apprentice today in Jonathan Moore claiming 7lbs in saddle

P2.20 Element Quartet e/w 16/1 Bet365

This is a truly awful race and this horse is something of a plodder but I can see this extra trip and falling handicap mark being positives for the horse to make the first 3 in this 9 runnner race. The horse usually gets outpaced over shorter trips so I'm happy that the horse is running over 3 miles + here and the cheekpiece combined with the tongue tie is tried for the first time. Strong stable and jockey so worth siding with off this feather weight.