All The Latest Ante Post News For Cheltenham

RSA & National Hunt Chase : Black Hercules/Roi Des Francs/Pont Alexandre

At Warwick Black Hercules was doing the business for Mullins by winning the Listed Hampton Novice Chase in impressive style. He came home two and three quarter lengths clear of Definitely Red in the heavy ground and proved he has bags of stamina in his locker.

He has been backed into 6/1 favourite for the National Hunt Chase with BetVictor and a big looking 16/1 with Boylesports for the RSA Chase.

At Naas Pont Alexandre was odds-on to land the Woodlands Park 100 Club Novice Chase but was beaten by stable companion Roi Des Francs who was ridden by Bryan Cooper for the Gigginstown Stud.

I wouldn’t have thought Mullins was too unhappy about the result as Pont Alexandre as it was only his second run after a lengthy lay off and ran well until being just touched off on the run-in. He’s a 16/1 shot for the National Hunt Chase with Boylesports and 20/1 with Betfred for the shorter RSA Chase.

The winner was having his third run and looks a real galloper and will be entered for both the RSA and the National Hunt Chase, which is over four miles. He’s a 20/1 with Paddy Power for the RSA and as low as 8/1 second favourite with Bet365 for the National Hunt Chase.

RSA : Black Hercules 16/1 Boylesports  NH Chase : 6/1 BetVictor

RSA : Roi Des Francs 8/1 Bet365          NH Chase : 20/1 Paddy Power

RSA : Pont Alexandre 20/1 Betfred        NH Chase : 16/1 Boylesports

JLT: Killultagh Vic

We saw a remarkable performance by Killultagh Vic in the Grade 2 Novice Chase sponsored by Coral at Leopardstown today. The result wasn’t a shock as he was the 2/7 favourite but the way he won left everyone in amazement.

As a result of his win he is now the 4/1 favourite for the JLT Novice Chase with Bet365. The yards other horse Shaneshill is 5/1 with Betfred.In the Arkle Chase he’s a 25/1 shot with Skybet and a 16/1 chance with Coral for the RSA Chase.

Mullins said;

"That performance was good enough to run in the Arkle but he's possibly more likely to go for the JLT.

"We'll see neared the time and he'll get an entry in all three, the Arkle, JLT and RSA. He has that sort of scope.

"We know he stays but the way he jumps he can come back in trip and if I hadn't Douvan I'd probably say Arkle straight away."

JLT: Killultagh Vic 4/1 Bet365

RSA : Killultagh Vic 16/1 Coral

Arkle : Killultagh Vic 25/1 Skybet

Champion Bumper: Aspen Colorado

Aspen Colorado won the Coral Pro/Am Flat race by four and three quarter lengths from the well backed Without Limites.

It was the racecourse debut for the four-year-old gelding who is sired by Galileo and owned by J.P.McManus. He was introduced into the Champion Bumper betting at 12/1 by Boylesports and Stan James.

Joseph O'Brien said:

"He won nicely - there was plenty of talk for horses in it.

"We thought he was a nice horse but didn't think he'd win like that. Hopefully he can progress."

Champion Bumper: Aspen Colorado 12/1 Stan James

Champion Bumper: Augusta Kate 16/1 Skybet

World Hurdle: Alpha Des Obeaux

Today at Gowran Park in the Grade 2 Galmoy Hurdle we saw a possible World Hurdle contender as the Mouse Morris trained Alpha Des Obeaux impressively beat At Fishers Cross by eleven lengths.

He is now a top price of 10/1 with Skybet and Paddy Power for the Cheltenham Festival and is just 7/1 in a place. Colin Tizzard’s Thistlecrack remains the 9/4 favourite with Bet365.

Trainer Mouse Morris said:

"The better the ground the better the horse, at least that's what I think. He's got the right attitude and he stays well. He's tough and he'll appreciate the better ground, but he'll need some luck as they always do,"

"In fairness to him he has been beaten by good horses and at least he wasn't second today, so I'm very happy!

"I'll discuss things with Gigginstown and while he hasn't a whole lot of racing done, I imagine he'll go straight to Cheltenham now."

World Hurdle: Alpha Des Obeaux 10/1 Skybet

World Hurdle: Thistlecrack 9/4 Bet365

Champion Chase : Un De Sceaux

The Grade 1 Clarence House Chase at Ascot took centre stage and all eyes were on the Willie Mullins superstar Un De Sceaux.

Last years Arkle winner led from the outset and coped superbly well with all the fences putting all the doubts about his jumping ability to one side for now. He was briefly joined at the second last by former Champion Chase winner Sire De Grugy but he was quickly brushed aside in a matter of moments and went on to win by 5 lengths.

Un De Sceaux is now the Even money favourite with Betway for the Queen Mother Champion Chase and is odds-on with most bookmakers. Sire De Grugy is a 12/1 shot with Bet365 and Gary Moore’s other runner Traffic Fluide has been clipped into 25/1 with Stan James (14/1 in a place) after a gallant third place here.

Champion Chase: Un De Sceaux Evens Betway

Champion Chase: Sire De Grugy 12/1 Stan James

World Hurdle/Mares Hurdle : Vroom Vroom Mag

Vroum Vroum Mag. She won the OLBG Mares Hurdle in fine style by three and a half lengths from Jennies Jewel for an Irish one-two.

That was the eighth victory on the trot for the 7yo who has both the Mares Hurdle and the World Hurdle has her options for the Festival. A lot depends on the owners other super mare Annie Power and it isn’t thought they would clash in the same race.

Vroum Vroum Mag is 13/2 with Paddy Power for the Mares Hurdle on the opening day of the Festival (Annie Power 4/5 Bet365) and is a top price 6/1 with Coral for the World Hurdle (Annie Power 10/1 Stan James).

Rich Ricci said; "A lot depends on whether Annie Power gets another run. If we can get her another run before Cheltenham she will be hard to beat in the World Hurdle off her rating. But the problem is can we get a run into her? I'm not sure we can.

World Hurdle: Vroom Vroom Mag 6/1 Coral

Mares Hurdle : Vroom Vroom Mag 13/2 Paddy Power

Champion Hurdle: Faugheen

Just five runners lined up for the BHP Insurances Irish Champion Hurdle and Mullins was responsible for the first three in the betting with Faugheen, Nichols Canyon and Arctic Fire. Despite making a hash of the last Faugheen had 15 lengths to spare at the line to capture his first Irish Champion Hurdle. He was immediately shortened for the big one at Cheltenham in March and is generally a 2/5 chance with most bookies but is still 4/7 with Betway which wont last too long I wouldn’t have thought.

Winning jockey Ruby Walsh said; "Faugheen was explosive today. He travelled and jumped really well. We went at it from the word go - he jumped like a buck and he had them all killed off going to the second-last.

"People have been moaning that he's been getting it handy it in front, well you saw what he did when they tried to take him on - he destroyed them altogether.

"I viewed it that if Willie Mullins wasn't training Arctic Fire or Nichols Canyon, what would I do? That's the way I rode the race.

"I was riding the Champion Hurdle horse and if they are going to beat me they are going to have to come and get me."

Champion Hurdle: Faugheen 4/7 Betway

Champion Hurdle: Nichols Canyon 14/1 Boylesports

Champion Hurdle: Arctic Fire 10/1 Ladbrokes

Arkle: Douvan 

We saw an emphatic jumping display by another one of Rich Ricci’s superstars as Douvan destroyed his two rivals in the Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase.

He won by 15 lengths as did Faugheen, but it could have been treble that distance to be honest. He is now the 4/7 favourite to win the Arkle at Cheltenham with Skybet and is the Willie Mullins banker of the Festival for many good judges. Owner Rich Ricci said; "He looks to be the horse with the most potential we've ever had.” You cant get much more of an endorsement than that.

Ruby Walsh said; "He's a bit flat over his fences and doesn't arch his back. Master Minded used to do that, too - flat but effective over his fences. Not arching his back means he's fast away and that's a huge plus for a two-miler chaser.

"It's dead against what show jumpers are meant to do, but it's perfect for a two-miler chaser."

Arkle: Douvan 4/7 Bet365

Arkle: L'Ami Serge 7/1 Skybet

Supreme Hurdle: Buveur D'Air

Nicky Henderson who last won the Supreme back in 1992 has a couple of likely sorts and today we saw his Buveur D’Air throw his hat into the ring with a comfortable success at Huntingdon.

He was the 2/11 favourite so was entitled to win as he did but at least it showed his well being and the manner of his victory was that of a very classy horse. That was his second success over hurdles after a similar impressive debut at Newbury back in November. That day he beat Wait For me by 11 lengths who has since won two races.

Bookmakers Boylesports reacted by cutting him to 10/1 for the Supreme which puts him in as the fourth favourite behind Min, Altior and Yorkhill.

Henderson said: "I was keen to get two runs into him and this weekend was the cutoff really give yourself time for another run. That was a good bit of experience for him, just teaching him to switch off, get in behind horses and come through the gap.

"What I'm really trying to establish is two miles or two and a half. He has all the gears for two but Noel doesn't think he'll have any problem staying. The Sidney Banks at Huntingdon might be an option, that might tell us a little bit more. If not there's Exeter or Kempton."

Supreme: Buveur D'Air 10/1 Boylesports

Supreme: Min 13/8 Paddy Power

Neptune : Yanworth

By far the most convincing winner of the day was Yanworth who cruised home in the Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle Trial at Cheltenham by 7 lengths from Shantou Village.

The JP McManus owned 6yo was having his first run over this kind of trip and answered any stamina queries in emphatic style. He is now quoted as the 11/4 favourite with Bet365 for the opening race on Day Two of the Festival. Bellshill who was the market leader is available at 4/1 with Betway.

Neptune: Yanworth 3/1 SportingBet

Neptune: Bellshill 4/1 Betway

Albert Bartlett: Barters Hill

Trained by Ben Pauling the unbeaten novice was taking on the Willie Mullins raider Up For Review and it was expected to be a two-horse shoot-out. The duel never materialised as the Irish horse was struggling as soon as they hit the home straight and didn’t show his true running at all.

The favourite showed his true battling qualities and just pulled out that bit extra every time he was challenged and ended up winning by three quarters of a length at the line.

He was clipped into 7/2 for the Albert Bartlett with bookmakers Paddy Power and is 5/2 in places. The winning trainer said; "I'm over the moon. David said he didn't jump quite as fluently as he was hassled by Up For Review.

Albert Bartlett; Barters Hill 7/2 Paddy Power

Albert Bartlett: Up For Review 12/1 Paddy Power

Arkle: Vaniteux

Also at Doncaster we saw a very interesting Arkle trial as the Nicky Henderson trained Vaniteux won the Lightning Novices Chase by three and a half lengths from Arzal.

It was advertised as a showdown between Vaniteux and Irish challenger Shaneshill but that horse ran poorly on an unusually bad day for the Willie Mullins stable. It was Harry Wittington’s young horse Arzal who provided the opposition and he ran great credit to finish second and earned a 33/1 quote for the Arkle with Skybet.

Winning jockey Nico De Boinville said: "He's a very nice horse. He was slightly taken off his feet early but we went a really good clip and it was a strong trial. He idled a bit after the last but it's a very strong headwind. We're just where we want to be."

Arkle: Vaniteux 9/1 888Sport

Arkle: Arzal 33/1 Skybet

Gold Cup: Smad Place

In the BetBright Chase we had a chance to see Djakadam, the Irish raider trained by Willie Mullins. He was the odds-on favourite and expected to follow up his most impressive victory in the John Durkan Memorial Chase earlier this season.

Alan King’s Smad Place went on to win by an impressive 10 lengths after Djakadam made a bad mistake at the 10th fence and came crashing down. The winner is now a 16/1 shot with Boylesports for the big race although he is still entered in the Ryanair Chase and is the second favourite behind Vautour.

As a result Djakadam was eased in the Gold Cup market and can now be backed at 6/1 with Betway although he still is as low as 4/1 in places.

Gold Cup: Smad Place 16/1 Boylesports

Ryanair Chase: Smad Place 10/1 Paddy Power

Gold Cup: Djakadam 6/1 Betway

World Hurdle: Thistlecrack

In the Cleeve Hurdle the World Hurdle favourite Thistlecrack was hoping to cement his place at the head of that particular ante-post market.

Colin Tizzard’s 8yo made no mistake and won on the bridle by a very impressive 12 lengths from the useful yardstick Ptit Zig. Market rival Camping Ground led for most of the way but was a spent force as they entered the closing stages and finished a well-beaten fifth.

Thistlecrack has now hardened to a top price of 13/8 with Betway for the World Hurdle and at one place he is the Even money favourite ahead of Vroum Vroum Mag (7/1), Alpha Des Obeaux and Cole Harden (both 8/1)

Colin Tizzard said; "He was brilliant today," said Tizzard. "He powered up that hill against really top-class opposition.

"It's a World Hurdle qualifier and he's won it 12 lengths without coming off the bridle. At home he works like that and he does it on the track.

"Nothing can stay with him any more on the gallops at home."

World Hurdle: Thistlecrack 13/8 Betway

I have been informed Annie Power will run in the World Hurdle if they get a run into her before the festival, which appears to be happening as she is lined up to run at Punchestown on Wednesday. So, that means Vroum Vroum Mag will probably be the one for the mares. They were only going to run Annie in the mares if they got no prep run into her.

I wouldn't dismiss that totally although for the amount they might get on I would believe what she says.

It is the other beast I was hoping to find out about though. I am on with a run but the drift on betfair must have some foundation particularly as they have shorted up Arctic Fire, Nichols Canyon and Identity Thief. If anyone knows anything please post?

1 hour ago, joeblitz said:

I wouldn't dismiss that totally although for the amount they might get on I would believe what she says.

It is the other beast I was hoping to find out about though. I am on with a run but the drift on betfair must have some foundation particularly as they have shorted up Arctic Fire, Nichols Canyon and Identity Thief. If anyone knows anything please post?

SkyBet boosted Faugheen to 1/2 for most of today Joe, so that could have triggered the drift on the exchanges.

Currently Annie Power is the favourite for the Champion Hurdle after Faurgheen is out of the season. Before Annie Power was not even taken in consideration. I hope that Faugheen will come back without any surprises next year at Cheltenham.