** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat Thread

I was just trying to back Gin Cobbler in the 2.00 at Hexham but the Stan James website was playing up and kept freezing and unlogging me. It's my only online account

I decided it was too much trouble a few minutes before race time.......so I gave up

Instead of desperately hoping Gin Cobbler wins I now desperately hope that it loses....

haven't got long to find out.......

Trotter, you surprise me. No Betfair account?

No I haven;t.....

I once tried to open one and lodged 25 quid but the process stalled somewhere.....I think my credit card wasn't accepted because they had a policy of not allowing payments to betting companies. Betfiar wanted me to send stuff to them like passport copies etc.......I couldn't be bothered so just gave up and kissed goodbye to £25 and dumped the credit card. I've never tried again since so my £25 is probably still sat there !

To be honest I'm not a big gambler......I can go months without betting. Having just one account suits me because if it doesn't offer the odds I think it should be I don't bet.........it's a form of discipline !

Looking for some help. I placed a bet on NetBet last Sunday on a horse called Tested over in Ireland. It won but the result got amended and I didn't get paid out. Now I understand if they don't pay double result but I can't find it anywhere in their rules and I have tried speaking to someone and they keep telling me they will ask their traders and get back to me. For some reason I was under the impression most bookies other than exchanges paid double result? 

Surely it would only be IN the rules if they did pay on the double result, if they don't then that wouldn't need to be mentioned as it's only concessions that need to be pointed out to their customers.

Its like best odds guarantee, only the firms who do it will be telling you about it, you won't see Skybet for example putting it in their rules that they will NOT pay best odds guaranteed.

In my experience of the betting industry unless its blatantly being offered as a concession then you follow normal betting rules which were set out many years ago. Double result was only offered by one or two companies when i worked in the shops and they were very local independent shops, none of the big four did it. It was only online betting that started the ball rolling. Not even sure which companies do it these days.

Good luck, worth inquiring.

This years Dewhurst is a cracking renewal. Both Air Force Blue and Emotionless look like above average winners already and it will be intriguing to see who runs out the winner.

Looks like we've got a very strong crop of classic contenders for next year. Minding looked a fantastic prospect as well and lets not forget Shalah who was exceptional earlier in the year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • BillyHills changed the title to Racing Chat Thread

Maidens:

The new approach which from next year replaces many/most maidens with Novice Races seems like a good idea to me.

The reasoning being that once a horse has won a maiden, there's not much for it to do until the Nursery handicaps start later in the year. Now non-winners will be able to run against winners in a Novice race with a penalty for a win and a double penalty for two wins [not sure of those details], similar to Novice Hurdles.

Comments ???

Its an interesting move and one i like at first look.

I hope it doesnt reduce the fields at the more high profile meetings, the maidens at Newmarket and Newbury for example are full of future clues and i wouldn't want those horses opting for a run on the AW at Chelmsford or something instead to avoid an impressive winner.

Running against winners would obviously give the handicapper a better clue as to the value of the form and some trainers will prefer to avoid this situation if at all possible.

I can see some horses running up a string of victories at the minor tracks although i'm not sure what the penalties would be for say two wins. I know some hurdle winners get 10lbs for two victories for example.

I like the idea in principle although i take it they will revert to Nursery's later on in the season, hope this doesnt just delay some horses from making their debut's.

I must say that I would prefer a separate thread for different topics.......this forum can look very neglected most of the time with just the Comp thread and Richard's Flat thread most days

Can't remember why we had the thread tidy up a few years ago..........did we used to have lots of threads with one or no replies ?

I guess at the end of the day we're just not a very chatty bunch although I seem to think there was a lot more chat, banter & discussion of the sport a few years ago ?

Feel free to start what threads you like.

Why did you think you had to add to this one? Never been a rule not to start threads, in fact i wish more people would start them.

We need more (sensible) banter on here, plenty seem to post in the comps but don't say anything else?

I only merged the posts because someone said they count find the Daily Chat thread.

:ok

• 2 weeks later...

So Found was comfortably beaten by Golden Horn twice before winning at the Breeders Cup and while you can't expect a horse to run to his best every single time the fact Found was on lasix had to have played a part.

It's a shame to see a champion like Golden Horn beaten this way.

Of course it does arsenal. Said it many times before, but lasix, particularly when first time administered to those European horses is a massive performance enhancer. We see it again and again. Nonetheless I couldn't back her at all. I just don't think she is all that classy. Golden Horn, in that ground, without lasix after a long season and all he has done, ran an almighty race. 

I feel for Hayley Turner, before the off, i didn't think she had a chance at all in her last 'ever' race, 3.30 on Buonarroti, did very well to come 2nd, but thought she was going to have a fairytale win at one point..!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/07/litigant-hayley-turner-buonarotti-doncaster-final-ride

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=13067124&category=0

Edited by Hit

Saturday was not quite the last ride for Haley Turner - she is going to have one more day out in the spotlight: In the International Jockeys' Challange at Fairview and Turffontein, South Africa, next Friday and Saturday. 

The international team consists of: Hayley Turner, Kieren Fallon, Pat Cosgrave, Rob Havlin, Eddie Pedroza, Aurelien Lemaitre
Home Team: Anton Marcus, Anthony Delpech, Gavin Lerena, S'manga Khumalo, Greg Cheyne, Piere Strydom

The International Jockeys’ Challenge comprises four races each at meetings at Fairview in Port Elizabeth on Friday and Turffontein on Saturday. There is a ballot for mounts in each of the Challenge races and runners are seeded beforehand in an attempt to ensure both teams have roughly the same calibre of rides overall. Points are awarded as follows: first – 30; second – 15; third – 12; fourth – 10; fifth – 8; sixth – 7; seventh – 6; eighth – 5; ninth – 4; 10th – 3; 11th – 0; 12th – 0. If a jockey does not ride in a race, he gets seven points. The team that scores the most points wins the Challenge and there are awards for the top rider in each leg and the top rider overall.   

http://citizen.co.za/854333/international-jockeys-challenge/

• 3 weeks later...

What a farce in the Tingle Creek today. Sire de Grugy almost knocks Special Tiara sideways and the latter loses all momentum. Then despite only being beat 3 parts of a length the stewards do nothing? He lost considerably more than 3 parts of a length there and if Sire de Grugy jumps straight Special Tiara jumps alongside and wins. Simple as.

Back in August Storm the Stars carries Bondi Beach the whole way across the track and keeps the race. Bondi Beach wins if he is allowed to continue in the straight line he was taking. Same thing happened to Suzis Connoisseur in a race at Ascot.

When are we going to get a sensible set of rules? It seems like it's alright to bash a horse sideways or push them the whole way across the track. I'm surprised jockeys don't have more to say about the stewarding as it's they who are being put in danger.

Edited by arsenalfh

I thought it was a terrible decision although I knew it was the one they would make

Special Tiara was very hard done by.........if I'd had money on him I'd be incredibly pee'd off

That bump surely cost him more than a length but it was the momentum.......he was the one who was going strongest and was catching 'SdG'...........to my mind it was a certainty that he would have gone past and won the race without the interference

Not a comment from the pocket, just an Observation

High Profile jockey Mr Barry Geraghty

UR   5 Gone Too Far A King 7 11-6 p1 B J Geraghty 6/1
Mid-division when blundered and unseated rider 1st opened 7/1

UR   6 Auvergnat (FR) Jonjo O'Neill 5 11-11 B J Geraghty 7/1
Held up, mistake and unseated rider 2nd opened 15/2

UR   3 Sizing Codelco (IRE) H de Bromhead 6 11-2 B J Geraghty 7/1
Tracking leaders when stumbled badly and unseated rider 1st

Tap Night wins the 2:20 Musselburgh under Tom Scudplonker , having done sweet Feck all since Feb 2013

Time for a break from these crooks, Over and Out !!!

Full Result

Pos Dist Horse Trainer Age Weight Jockey SP
1st   1 Tap Night (USA) Miss Lucinda V Russell 8 11-12 p T Scudamore 11/2
Led, headed narrowly 2 out, regained lead last, kept on well run-in

From the Racing Post...

"I have never known a horse lose a race for a collision in the air," Moore said.

"I actually think Sire De Grugy was going away at the finish and think we got inconvenienced as much as they did but if I was in their shoes I would do the same - it is all about opinions."

Sire De Grugy got inconvenienced as much as Special Tiara? I disagree with that but the big difference was that Sire De Grugy basically turned Special Tiara sideways. He was going straight until smashed by Sire de Grugy and no one can dispute that. How is it alright to interfere as long as both horses are inconvenienced?

I'm glad Ruby Walsh has spoken out about the interference rules and he's spot on that this is the only sport that favours the offender over the victim. This is a dangerous sport and horses are quite fragile yet the rules allow interference unless the stewards are certain the victim would have won the race which basically means the victim needs to recover and finish within a neck. The rules allow interference as long as the victim isn't a certain winner.

I also feel the stewards are too cautious. In my mind Special Tiara lost well over a length when bumped but the stewards obviously felt the interference was negligible.

The current rules are dangerous to the jockeys and horses.