Amusing Poker anecdotes

swampster

add you own if you've got em... "King Farouk of Egypt had an unbeatable way with cards and no one ever won against him because he would put his cards down and say, 'I have won. I have better cards.' He was once in a game of poker and an opponent had the effrontery to declare that he had three queens. Farouk retorted that he had three kings, and when someone turned up the cards to reveal only two kings, Farouk snarled, 'I am the third.'" According to Pilar Wayne Upchurch (John Wayne's former wife), the Duke once played an all-night poker game with the handler who owned Pal (the first screen Lassie) and several other canine actors. "The Duke won all the Lassies," Upchurch recalled. "The next day, the man was devastated. That was his livelihood." After a good laugh, she added, her husband good-heartedly gave them all back. Stu 'The Kid' Ungar, a poker pro in the 80s who was invited over to Dubai to play a Sheik. The Sheik personally flew him over from the States in his private jet. On the plane they decided to have a small game. By the time they got to Dubai, the Sheik had lost $1 million AND the plane ! Poker pro Amarillo Slim, as well as being a top poker player was a degenerate gambler who would bet on anything. He bet Wimbledon tennis champion Bobby Riggs he could beat him at table tennis provided he got to choose the bats. He turned up with two iron frying pans, having practiced with them for months, and beat him. He then made the same bet with a group of Tenessee gamblers, who went out, found the World Tennis Table Champion and trained him with the frying pans. Amarillo turned up with two empty coke bottles , used those and won 21-0, 21-0, 21-0