** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Football Strategy for next season

It is a pretty basic strategy but one I am sure if this season is to go by it could work. I will be picking two teams from the prem, championship, league 1 and league 2 and aim to win £5 per match from each team. The trick is to find teams that will give good odds for most matches and have a good chance of finishing in the top 6 of each league. Any bad patches from one or two of my picked teams will hopefully be covered by the longer odds given by the bookies on out of form teams and also the teams that are winning each week for me. With the prem Tottenham, Southampton or Everton will be good shouts dependent on incomings and outgoings. Tottenham non winning streak has been 2 this term, Everton who have underwhelmed this term have had a non winning streak of 6. The championship will be difficult, depending who drops down from the prem but still keep their better players and spend their parachute payments well are worth considering. High scoring teams are also a good shout. Watford, norwich derby, Ipswich whoever misses out on promotion will be a good shout for not having long non winning runs. League 1 and 2 same as championship really, just wait until squads have been built, find out who gets relegated etc, and pick two teams that you feel will do well. High scoring teams this term who don't lose star players are a good hsout to win more than they lose. So 8 teams in total picked, aiming for a fiver for each match the team plays (Only betting in league matches, not cups) Once it gets close to the end of the season I would stop betting on a team when they win and there are less than 8 matches left (Just to ensure that the team don't go on a losing streak and run out of matches) If the system works It could possibly net :- prem teams - 2 teams x 28 matches x £5 - £280 Championship, league 1 and 2 teams - 6 teams x 38 matches x £5 - £1140 Obviously a worst case scenario is picking a team like Blackpool, but you do get warning signs from teams well before a ball has been kicked. Everyone knew Blackpool was a mess etc. It is a shame their is no site to check historical odds on football matches just to find out what would happen if a team I picked (Like I may have done everton this year) didn't win for 6 matches and the outlay for the bet I would have to make to stay on track for the £5 per match aim, and would my other teams winning help cover the extra I would need to bet on Everton to keep to the £5 per match amount. Any input will be appreciated, I am just worried it could be classed as a martingale system, and chasing losses.

Re: Football Strategy for next season Awesome link their pal, thankyou :) I will work out amounts for teams I picked this season to win their respective leagues leagues this season. Just a quick check and Doncaster who are 14th atm in league 1 who I picked to win the league have only had a losing streak of 3. Looking even more in depth in league 1 and Coventry who are near relegation had a non winning streak of 7. Thanks for the link again, It will give me a good idea on the bank I owuld need to have to cover a non wiing streak which Everton have had this year with 6. I will update this thread throughout the pre season, just for insight into local teams people support, and helping me choose the best 2 teams from each league. For example I knew Forest as a season ticket holder, and our current owner being trigger happy with managers along with Pearce who as a player I loved, but knew manager wise he wasn't up to scratch, would be risky to slect as one of my two teams. Anyhow I am rambling on now, I will work out amounts needed bank wise with the link you have given so thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Football Strategy for next season You can also try football-data.co.uk. It gives the odds data in Excel format, which may be useful for manipulating data for back-testing. The only draw-back is that the site provides the odds at one particular time (17:00 on Friday for weekend matches, and 15:00 on Tuesday for mid-week matches).