Jump Racing Friday 4th April

2.00 Aintree Josses Hill 15/8 BetVictor BOG
Josses Hill ran very well to finish 2nd to Vautour at Cheltenham and has been progressive all year. Baltimore Rock won the imperial cup and might prove his danger but if Josses Hill is right he should win and uphold the Vautour form
10 Points win Josses Hill 15/8 BetVictor BOG
4.15 Aintree Beat That 7/1 Bet365 BOG
Beat That has not yet progressed into the horse connections think he is just yet but can go along way towards achieving that by winning here. He won well first time out at Ascot before Christmas pulling clear effortlessly on the run in before finishing runner up to Killala Quay on horrible ground at Sandown where a last flight mistake cost him. He should do better on this ground and appreciate this trip. The opposition is good but none of them are world beaters.
5 Points e/w Beat That 7/1 Bet365 BOG

Re: Jump Racing Friday 4th April 2.00 Aintree - 2pts win Sgt Reckless @ 11/2 (Boyles) There's quite a price disparity between this one and Josses Hill and I'm not sure I agree with it. Sure, that one ran a cracker at Cheltenham but so did the Mick Channon horse and came from the clouds to finish relatively close up. I can see the places being reversed here given this track may not suit the Henderson horse as much as Cheltenham perhaps and it's hard to see my selection being held up like he was at Cheltenham (been ridden handy on previous hurdle runs). Good ground will suit and he had excuses when beaten (yet running well) by Amore Alato on two previous runs. AP McCoy takes the ride and I'm hopeful he'll go very close. 3.05 Aintree - 1pt win Toner D'Oudaries @ 20/1 (VC) Bit of an outsider here but the race seems fairly wide open and I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a shock. Gordon Elliott's runner is largely consistent and although is pitched into the highest level here I don't think there's a standout horse to fear. He may prove just not good enough but there is reason to believe he can go well. He's improved over fences this season and has an impressive strike rate of 9-35 under rules. He was only beaten 3 1/2l by Arvika Ligeonniere at Clonmel earlier in the season, which is a good effort against that rival on a right-handed track. He then beat the decent yardstick Letter Of Credit (giving 7lbs) before a couple of seconds recently. Those came on deep ground and there's reason to believe he prefers a sounder surface. He has won on all ground but was second in the Martin Pipe at Cheltenham on good in 2012 and he's won his last two on the same ground. The most recent of those came when disposing of Roi Du Mee (who won a Grade 1 next time out) and First Lieutenant. Strictly speaking that gives him a chance here and he clearly stays the trip. Comes here fresher than most and hopefully can put in a big performance at the price. 3.40 Aintree - 1pt win Big Fella Thanks @ 14/1 (Bet365) and 1pt win Tatenen @ 25/1 (Bet365) I think it's necessary to pick a couple here and I've been waiting for Big Fella Thanks to compete in this race having performed admirably over these fences in the past over trips that stretch his stamina. He normally completes and has put in a couple of bold efforts in the Grand National. Is getting on a bit now but shaped with plenty of promise over three miles in a veteran's event at Doncaster last time (looked a big threat at one point) and that was an ideal prep for this. The trip is ideal and we know he can jump around here no problem so is well worth an investment with conditions to suit. Tatenen is a bigger price and has failed to complete on two occasions around this course but one of those can be forgiven (unseated when hampered at the canal turn) and it's not a massive turn off to see him fall around here. He's normally not a bad jumper and he looks the type to go well in this race if standing upright. He's a prominent racer which helps and conditions suit. He loves good ground and the trip is ideal. Is off a winning mark and has been in the first three on his last three starts - that included a sound effort at Cheltenham and if ready to go again can outrun his odds if getting into a rhythm. 4.15 Aintree - 2pts win Beat That @ 6/1 (Bet365) Lightly-raced horse for the Henderson team and looks capable of landing the spoils upped to three miles today having bypassed the Cheltenham festival. Hasn't done much wrong to date and looks like a staying type. Stayed on for second on his debut in a Kempton bumper before failing to back that up on soft ground over in Ireland. However, has been back on track in two starts over hurdles - hacking up from the smart Champagne West and then chasing home the reopposing Killala Quay at Sandown. Clearly he goes well fresh and the ground will suit. The step up in trip looks certain to help and I think this track will suit my selection more than the aforementioned Charlie Longsdon's runner. Seeyouatmidnight has different ground to contend with here and I can see everything falling right for the horse at the top of the card. 4.50 Aintree - 2pts win Stonebrook @ 7/1 (VC) A fairly unoriginal selection but this is an open event but one where novices have a good record. Donald McCain's runner hasn't done much wrong in his short career to date and I think he can take the step into competitive handicap company in his stride. This is quicker ground that he's contended with so far but shouldn't be an issue with the way he moves and we haven't seen the best of him yet you feel. Was useful in bumpers (was third behind Faugheen, close with Josses Hill on debut) before winning two in that sphere. Stayed on to chase home a decent front pair on hurdling debut and has won both starts since without too much effort being asked for. Travels and jumps well and has suggested there's been plenty left in the tank when briefly shaken up so the tactical speed and off-the-bridle ability bodes well for this test. The step up in trip looks no worry at all and I'm optimistic he'll go close.