Cosgrave banned for six month!

British jockey Pat Cosgrave has been banned for six months for improper riding in a race in Dubai. The 31-year-old, who rode Society Rock to win the 2011 Golden Jubilee at Royal Ascot, was aboard third-placed Anaerobio in the Group One Jebel Hatta at Meydan on March 8.. Cosgrave set a slow pace on the 20-1 outsider, just in front of eventual winner Vercingetorix, who is also trained by Mike de Kock, and could be seen looking around to the stablemate before appearing to move wide on the home straight. Read more: http://www.justhorseracing.com.au/news/international-racing/british-jockey-banned-for-six-months/249123#ixzz2wMKNVTAe Wow.... that's quite a severe ban, isn't it?! Half a year seems harsh to me though. Sure he allowed his horse to lose the position on the inside rails and allowed through that the stable mate to get an advantage i.e. a clear run. But that is nothing new, is it? Happens all the time. I don't think that he deliberately tried to block other horses with that move anyway and was full riding to the line afterwards too. So if you want to charge him for these kind of "team tactics" - OK, understandable, then ban him for a couple of weeks or so. But to ban him for six month? That's extreme in my mind...

Re: Cosgrave banned for six month! I think it is fantastic they have the balls to ban them for 6 months. I think its great that in other racing regions they impose bans lasting years ,especially for corruption and non trying. They should follow suit in the UK , I'm sure many followers of the sport would agree. Don't you just hate it when AP O'Brien uses team tactics to win Gr1s , how many times have you seen the second and third string release a gap for the number 1 to ease past and win ? A two week ban doesn't have any financial bearing on the jockeys , they will be well compensated by the Tabor's / Magnier's / Maktoum's. Cosgrove will be well compensated , do you think he will lose 6 months of earnings ? Of course not. Remember the times when AP O'Briens horses break the pre race parades to avoid the commotion and he gets fined for doing so , its the owners who agree on these tactics and agree to pay for any subsequent fines. Remember when AP O'Brien / JP Murtagh on Starspangledbanner in the July Cup , they contravened rules by heading towards the rail as soon as the gates opened. Do you think a 2 week ban would prevent them from doing this time and time again ? Do you think JP Murtagh suffered any financial loss? 2 weeks won't make any difference , 6 months /1 year / 3 years will.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.