Jump Racing Thursday 13th March

3.20 Cheltenham Annie Power 6/4 Bet365 BOG Making excuses for horses is a fast track to the poorhouse and I am happy to write off Big Bucks at this stage. He always picked up before when other horses came to him but not last time where he weakened close home. Anyway he meets the unbeaten Annie Power here who beat Silver Concorde first time out in a bumper at Galway. Not alone is she unbeaten over hurdles but she has never come off the bridle. Considering connections rate her a Gold Cup horse she will stay and will win. Another for the heavy hitters! 10 Points win Annie Power 6/4 BOG 4.00 Cheltenham Ballynagour 16/1 Coral BOG Having been off the track for 8 months Ballynagour was backed off the boards for a handicap at Warwick last season winning by half the track. One of the fancied horses for this last year, he was disappointing but may be a horse that just runs well very fresh. He comes back here after a 4 month break after pulling up in the Paddy Power with the stable in form and carrying a well in 10st 9lbs. If he reproduces his Warwick run of last year he will win. I am happy to take that chance here. The bookies may have forgotten but I have not! 5 Points e/w Ballyngour 16/1 Coral BOG

Re: Jump Racing Thursday 13th March 1.30 Cheltenham - 3pts win Felix Yonger @ 7/2 (Bet365) As Willie Mullins says, the ground is key to this horse and he'll be delighted to have a sound surface and I think this lad can make it three winning starts to the first three days for Mullins and Walsh. There are some dangers in here of course but the last twice haven't seen him to best effect as he's been running on soft ground which just isn't ideal. He developed into a smart hurdler - 2nd in the Neptune here two years ago - but has progressed nicely over fences and conditions are perfect today. Beat the decent White Star Line after a long absence last May before beating the very smart Defy Logic and then trounced Trifolium who ran well in the Arkle. On those three runs he'll be tough to beat and hasn't been disgraced under less-than-ideal conditions the last twice. If he jumps well (he can) then he ought to be on the premises and the ground can hopefully enable him to put in a smart winning performance. 2.40 Cheltenham - 1pt win Medermit @ 33/1 (Bet365) I'm not mad keen on any of the market leaders in this race this year and I think Alan King's charge is overpriced here to be honest. He's regularly been seen bounding up the hill at Cheltenham and although he's had setbacks and is starting to get on a bit, wasn't disgraced on his return from a long break at Ascot last time and conditions suit. Having been off for the best part of two years he was always going to find it tough in a Grade 1 on soft ground but shaped as if retaining ability and this will suit better. His last four wins have come on ground good to soft or better so that can help and has strong form around Cheltenham (2332423 are his figures here) and although he tends not to get his head in front as much as he perhaps should, usually finishes well and at a big price could be overlooked in a race where a confident selection cannot be found. 4.00 Cheltenham - 2pts win Third Intention @ 12/1 (Bet365) Bit of a tricky horse to get right but this could be made for him I reckon - pitched into handicap company for the first time over fences. He's consistent at least and has been running behind good novices this term. He beat the decent Rebel Fitz in a match here back in October before running respectably behind the likes of Wonderful Charm, Just A Par, Annacotty and O'Faolains Boy over testing three miles and the last twice on right-handed courses where he's jumped left. I think the step back to 2m4f helps and obviously the track as well. His mark looks fair and all five of his career wins have come on a sound surface so to me it looks like everything is coming together today and I can't see him running a bad race with a bit of luck, and fingers crossed he can get an elusive victory. 4.40 Cheltenham - 1pt win Spring Heeled @ 14/1 (VC) This horse loves a bit of good ground and his efforts of late on such surfaces give him every chance here today. He kept on strongly over 2m5f to win a novices event Killarney in August, beating a now 141-rated rival into third and strictly speaking on that run could be nicely weighted here off a mark of 138. Ran adequately on soft next time before running here at Cheltenham over 3m4f when going nicely before being forced wide and fading late on. The step back in trip will suit on that as the extended 3m could be bang up his street. Again wasn't disgraced in midfield when last seen at Leopardstown on soft ground but will be more at home on today's surface and the break can help too. He's run well (and won) when fresh in the past on a couple of occasions so that might sharpen him up and under conditions to suit, I can see him going close.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.