Puerto Rico Open > March 6-9

Crouch Potato

Always feel these alternate events offer more value than the WGC's so focusing here for the week and putting my eggs in the basket that looks to offer the most value to me. Troy Matteson @ 151 Bet365 Matteson was very strong here in 2011 where, much to my joy, he lost in a play off to Michael Bradley after a blistering first round. He's a very streaky sort of player but he always performs best on easy courses where the scoring is low and depending on the wind that's exactly would we should get this week. Matteson has won twice on TOUR before on low scoring courses and in addition to his playoff loss here a few years back I also recall a playoff loss in the John Deere Classic, another low scoring event. His seasonal form is nothing to write home about save for a 5th at the end of 2013, but Matteson is one of those players who often does well out of nowhere so this needn't be a huge concern. Bottomline, in an event missing the world's best players, I think the value is to be had in the longer shots rather than those at the head of the market, particularly given many of them are still maidens (although I do think Stuard looks the best of the favourites).

Re: Puerto Rico Open > March 6-9 I've backed Tory Matteson here successfully in the past. He always comes to the fore on resort course tracks where the scoring is streakily low. Of the short prices Brooks Koepka has a huge carrot to go after this week and the course is sure to suit. I can certainly see him taking up one of the places at a tempting 28/1. Ryo Ishikawa is another I like the look of this week. A multiple tournament winner (in Japan) who was 2nd at TPC Summerlin last term and 2nd here in 2011. 40/1 looks far too big and recent winners have been 55/1 and 50/1 respectively.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.