** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

West Indies v South Africa

1st test starts thursday in Guyana. Squads: WI - Chanderpaul ©, Browne, Hinds W, Smith D, Pagon, Deonarine, Ganga, Hinds R, Collymore, Collins, Washington, Powell, Taylor, King. SA - Smith ©, Boje, Boucher, De Villiers, Dippenaar, Gibbs, Hall, Kallis, Langeveldt, Nel, Ntini, Pollock, Prince, Rudolph, Zondeki. Previous series - 1991/2. 1 test. WI won 1-0. in WI 1998/9. 5 tests. SA won 5-0. in SA 2000/1. 5 tests. SA won 2-1. in WI 2003/4. 4 tests. SA won 3-0. in SA Overall - 15 tests, SA 10, WI 2, drawn 3. In WI - 6 tests, SA 2, WI 2, drawn 2. Overall personal Records. WI v SA - Kallis - 14m, 1464r, HS177, avg 73.2, 5x100 Gibbs - 13m, 1257r, HS192, avg 57.13, 3x100 Boucher - 14m, 486r, HS122*, avg 25.57, 2x100 Smith - 4m, 418r, HS139, avg 69.66, 2x100 Chanderpaul - 10m, 622r, HS109, avg 31.1, 1x100 Lara - 15m, 1322r, HS202, avg 44.06, 2x100 Gayle - 8m, 692r, HS116, avg 43.25, 2x100 Sarwan - 8m, 630r, HS119, avg 39.37, 2x100 I mention the last 3 as they are more than likely to make an appearance at some point. Pollock - 14m, 65w @ 21.7 Kallis - 14m, 42w @ 24.16 Ntini - 8m, 36w @ 25.44 Nel - 4m, 22w @ 23.18 Boje - 4m, 15w @ 29.46 Dillon, 11m, 33w @ 37.21 No other WI bowlers seem to have played against SA to any degree, Dillons stats just in on off-chance, he may have retired for all I know :lol Worth pointing out, & hard to believe this, but all of the 19 individual centuries above were all scored in SA, none in WI!! :eek Shaun Pollock will miss the 1st test, & probably the 2nd. Kallis is unlikely to bowl in either. Bourda, Georgetown - Guyana. Ave runs per wkt - 35.86. breakdown: 1-35.5, 2-37.6, 3-31.0, 4-45.2. Ave run rate - 2.75 Overall record - 29m, side won batting 1st - 5, 2nd - 8, drawn - 16. WI record - 29m, won - 7, lost - 6, drawn - 16. WI won toss & batted - 16,winning 4, losing 3. Bowled - 3, winning1, losing 0. Overall teams winning toss & batting - 25, bowling - 4. Only once has a team chosen to bowl & won the match. Last 5 tests on ground - 2002/3. WI 237 (50.3) & 398 (105.2). AUS 489 (115.1) & 147-1 (42.1) AUS won by 9 wkts. 2001/2. WI 501 (163.1). IND 395-7 (140.3) drawn 2000/1. WI 304 (124.1) & 333-7 (117). SA 332 (127) & 142-2 (69.3) drawn 1999/2000. PAK 288 (123.3) WI 222-7 (87) drawn 1997/8. WI 352 (128.1) & 197 (72). ENG 170 & 137 (62.1) WI won by 243 runs. 4 of the last 6 tests have been draws. The 2000/1 test v SA is the only previous meeting on this ground. Individual ground records of note - Chanderpaul - (home ground, 1st test as captain) 6m, 555r, HS140, avg 92.5, 3x100 Lara - 6m, 548r, HS167, avg 60.88, 2x100 Weather forecast is terrible, scattered thunderstorms all the way through, certainly from yesterday until the end of the test. Hard one to call this for me, what with the 'stars' missing from the WI side, although they may return yet, certainly for the 2nd test in the event of a mauling. Lara has turned down an 'invitation' to play, unless the others are recalled as well, does he smell a rout?? Weathers crap, possibly making all this irrelevant, but if I were SA I would fancy a win in 3 days play against this side. But it might unite the WIs without the showponies, but difficult, as little is known about some of these players. SA missing Pollock could be key as well, especially as Kallis is unlikely to bowl also. Bet365: WI 13/2. draw6/5. SA 10/11. whilst were at it, series odds: WI 9/2, SA 4/9, draw 10/3. 1st test 1st innings lead: SA 2/9, WI 3/1. Any thoughts??

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: West Indies v South Africa Ntini top South African series wicket-taker @ 7/4 perhaps? Kallis has a good record against West Indies at home, but only averaged 29.66 on the last Test series in the West Indies. I'd be interested in him to top score in the series for SA, but only 2/1 on offer. I wouldn't want to oppose Kallis in this market really, with Gibbs the only real possible alternative for me. He is too hit and miss @ 4/1 though. Wouldn't want to be backing South Africa for the series, as they're not that much better than West Indies, if the "rebel" players return, which they probably will at some point. For that reason, wouldn't want to get involved in the top West Indies batsman/bowler markets. Don't see much at the moment for this, bar the Ntini bet possibly. Certainly the first match is one to look at in-running, rather than taking a definate view now I feel :ok

Re: West Indies v South Africa Its very hard to call though, David, nobody knows anything about half of their players..... but it might bind them together & for the first time since Courtney Walsh they may play as a team,.......badly, probably, but as a team :lol stan James just done theirs: WI 17/2 Draw Evs SA Evs 1st inns lead: WI 7/2 SA 1/6 tie 100/1 Thing I'm not sure about, with Pollock out & Kallis unlikely to bowl, have SA got the bowling bar Ntini? Whats the betting that if no play first 2 days, Kallis is steaming in come the third ;) . Few things to think about here I think. Tempted to take the draw & play in running, if we get that far.

Re: West Indies v South Africa Nel and Langeveldt have bowled well at times, but neither is assured of their place in the team. It seems that Kallis will be fit to bowl, which means that South Africa will be able to play an extra batsman. Cricinfo reckon they'll go with Hall as an all-rounder, with Boje, Ntini, Nel and Kallis as the other bowlers. West Indies unlikely to win, but this is reflected in the odds. I've not looked at the weather forecast at all, but it seems like if the rain is minimal South Africa will win, if not, could be a draw. I wouldn't like to be betting on stuff with the main factor being the weather. I'm not taking any bets on the first match as it stands. Will see how it unfolds tomorrow. :)

Re: West Indies v South Africa Gayle & Sarwan have torn up the offending contracts late last night, the others are expected to follow suit. Remember Lara was actually allowed to play. Cable & Wireless threatening court action but it is believed that the bad publicity will put them off. WI Board 'unlikely to change preparations for first test at this late stage'.......yeah, right....they'll definetly be back for the second test though....unless they win of course!

Re: West Indies v South Africa Sorry, Staff, only just seen you. Windies went off well, then reduced to 24-2 off 6 ovs. WI went out to 12/1. Wavell Hinds batting well with debutant Pagon, who looks a decent bat TBH, & theyve reached 82-2 off 20. WI back into 8/1 now.

Re: West Indies v South Africa I've always had a soft spot for WIndies cricket. It's justa shame to see that the players have put money before playing. Says a lot for the modern day game, can't imaine Beefy & Gower doing that in their hey day when they were a walloping the Aussies. Just hope it can get sorted before the 2nd test starts but i somehow doubt it. W Indies should be looking for Chanderpaul to grind out some runs before exposing their lower order or they could be scuttled out for around 200.

Re: West Indies v South Africa Jeez. I had a big bet on South Africa just before play began as i couldn't see how the Windies could be anything other than abysmal with that team. So what happens? Hinds, who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo in the winter, laces the ball all over the shop helped considerably by the most abysmal bowling attack, with the exception of Nel, that i have ever seen. The problem with SA is they are a shower of arrogant cnuts with a clown of a captain. Even towards the close Hinds edged a regulation catch to first slip- only there ain't a feckin first slip! On the first day of a Test series. Having said all that SA could easily still win this game as i see it as a result pitch as the uneven bounce can only get worse. Can't see it though with them batting last. Barstewards.

Re: West Indies v South Africa It's almost Rule No.1 in cricket that a big partnership surviving overnight is broken early the next morning, usually with one of the batsmen failing to add to his score. Sorry no stats available! Just happens all the time! Spin's Windies runs therefore looks a bit big to me 540-555. RO Hinds at 6 (ave 24). Browne at 7 (ave 17). Then Dianarine (debut). New ball just taken. Think Wavell Hinds will go early, but would rather play total runs. Expect SA to try to slow down the overrate even more (yesterday was dire). Here's a Q. Chanderpaul leads from the front and secures a Windies win. Lara (and the best of the rest) back for Trinidad. Who's skipper? How much of a say will Bennett King (new Aussie coach) have? Long way to go in this test yet. And series.

Re: West Indies v South Africa I agree, you certainly cant see all of them getting back in though can you. Its Wavell Hinds first test in 14 months, ffs, the man has style in his sense of timing.... Thing is, if SA get close to what WI get, the WI are the type of side that could get blown away for 150 in the second inns & give SA a chance.

Re: West Indies v South Africa Start delayed - rain. I like the look of that spread as well TBH, & I was sorely tempted with under 540 @ Stan James. Obviously not on offer whilst no play, but SA were out to 6/1 I think, & I think thats tempting. As said before, even in this position, WI could go for 450, & that let SA in with a shout. I think this wicket will be harder to score on as we go on, so if WI go over 500 they have to have a shout but have they the bowling? I can see the Safris batting grinding out an equal score with their batting. The problem I always think if for argument sake you survive by laying the draw, is if SA are playing they are that f*****g negative they can let people off the hook & the match peters out, but the unpredictability of the Windies keeps everything open. F*** me, that was woolly :lol I do think that a decent spinner may have made a difference yesterday, & I think that Jacques Kallis showed his true colours, great batsman but, having just took a shed-load of Zimbabwe wickets, he didnt seem overly keen yesterday.

Re: West Indies v South Africa Lunch Time Score:

386 for 3 (94.0 overs)
West Indies First Innings
Batsman Runs Balls 4s 6s
W W Hindsnot out 210 272342
D S Smithc M V Boucherb A Nel11 1020
D Gangac M V Boucherb A Nel0 500
D J Pagonc J H Kallisb A Nel35 7270
S Chanderpaulnot out 117 211170
Extras 6nb 2w 5lb13
Total for 3386
I think the W Indies would of taken that at the start of the match!!! Chanderpaul is one of my fave players. Nothing too explosive but he values his wicket more than any other player i know. Totally underrated and a top professional. Good to see Wavell Hinds taking advantage of his chance, Draw is as low as 1.24 with BEtfair, fancy W Indies to maybe win depending on the weather.

Re: West Indies v South Africa Just looking on Stan James, & they are offering under 570 @ evens, 570-580 @ 7/1, over 580 evens again. Definetly think WI are the type of team to just collapse & disappear in an hour, but even if they bat on as they are, its touch & go to get that 570 tonight, & if they are looking at winning the match, & with the forecast the way it is some play will be lost somewhere, surely they should be looking at declaring tonight. To bat into the third day in a rain-reduced match seems negative to me, so under 570 looks good. Hmmm.....maybe another 20 runs or so.

Re: West Indies v South Africa Can't believe Chanderpaul declared once reaching his deserved 200 with the light fading! SA faced 2 overs before being offered the light and obviouslly were going to walk off, a poor declaration for me, should of batted till end of the day and go for wickets tomorrow. Cant see any other result now bar the draw. 1.2 with Betfair.

Re: West Indies v South Africa Should have took that 570, & the 550 come to think of it :( Didnt think that WI would bat that slow towards the end TBH, thought they would want to declare but thought they'd make an assault on 600 at least! Surely the follow-on is there best chance & their is a big difference needing 400 & needing 344.....psychological, mainly. All things being equal SA should save the test on a deadish pitch, but all on pressure. Ive got respect for Graeme Smith (doesnt mean I think hes a good captain though...) but theres a real element of bully-boys in some of the others. Witness Kallis's reluctance to bowl after taking loads against the Zims, & maybe its a one-off, but Ntini needed a map without Pollock to hold his hand. Credit to Nel, though, at least hes got some balls to go with his bluster. Seems unlikely, but if Smith goes early, wouldnt be massively surorised if SA struggle here, but would certainly expect them to save the follow-on.

Re: West Indies v South Africa F*** me, theyre collapsing!! No play for hours as the outfield was flooded, said it happened here........SA now 42-4 or something similar, off 9.2, Boucher in with De Villiers. Kallis tried to hook his 2nd ball & played on, f*****' bully :lol They need 344 to avoid the follow-on, & if they dont there may well be enough time for them to lose here....... WI were 12/1 just before the resumption!!