Waste Management Phoenix Open - January 30th - February 2nd

Aidymac

Re: Waste Management Phoenix Open - January 30th - February 2nd Always an interesting event and one that is pretty hard to profile as I think literally any type of player could legitimately win this. Got to stay away from Phil after his withdrawal last event. Am very tempted by Woodland who this season already has a playoff 2nd and a near miss last week. Two years ago Stanley overcame disappointment at the Farmer's Insurance to win here and a previous 5th at this event adds promise but unlike Stanley, who was perfect in the Farmer's bar the 18th, Woodland was pretty questionable in a lot of places, particularly his driving and short iron play. Also tempted by Delaet who has to break through at some point but his record here isn't the greatest and instead at the same odds I'm plumping for: Ryan Moore @ 36 Bet365 Moore was the one who beat Woodland in the playoff this season and I think there's a fair amount to like here. He has another couple of Top 10's (albeit one was the ToC) this season and was solo 4th last year with the mark of -22 and all rounds at least 5 under par. Add to that a previous Top 10 on this course and his stats this season (4th in driving accuracy, 3rd in GIR, 2nd in Proximity to the hole, 1st in Proximity to the hole from rough) and I think there's more in his favour than others at a similar price (Horschel, Woodland, Delaet, Palmer). Essentially Moore is hitting a lot of greens and hitting it close when he does, even when he does miss the fairways. So if he can get the putter rolling than he should be a great chance, just as he did in victory in Malaysia, where he averaged 28 putts per round. Spencer Levin @ 220 Betfair Prior to his injury/personal issues I thought Levin was one of a number of young players ready to break through. When on song he can really lap the field (at least on days that don't begin with Sun), as was shown in this event in 2012 where he was absolutely miles ahead on Saturday (7 shot clear with 18 holes to play) before crumbling on Sunday. He was less disappointing but still blew a 54 hole lead later that year at the Memorial and sadly that was the last we heard of Levin on Tour in terms of leaderboard presence as his step-brother passed away around the same time and later thumb surgery really de-railed his progress. Still, 6 cuts on the trot prior to last week and I think there's a chance he'll make a return to prominence this season. Given how dominant he was last time out here (for 54 holes at least) I think this could well be the place to do it. Bar Stanley that year most recent winners have had a Top 10 finish here prior to their win so his 2012 outing ticks that box too.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.