New tournament formats

Bart(UK)

Just seen another new tournament format announced by WPT National series, believed to have originated from Oz (either the Oceanic region or the wonderful wizard of, not sure which). Accumulator tournament where you basically have 3 day 1's and can enter as many as you like with all chips from each of your days going through to day 2. Might have been around a while, but first time I've seen one of the big brands using it. Thoughts anyone? Think you'll all know my stance already. I'm accepting that poker needs to continue evolving and innovating to grow and bring more people in, but give me an old fashioned level playing field freezeout any day. Don't advertise it as a £200 tournament when no-one in their right mind would play a single day 1 grossly disadvantaging themselves in an already small edge situation, except perhaps for a freerolling or micro sats player looking for a complete run like god bink (and don't you just hate it when people do that :p ) Lets be honest it's a £600 triple chance, albeit spread across 3 different table draws (a variance fighting +ve) with the -ve of increased hotel expenses at a time when the effective cost of attending live events outweighs the potential value. If after grinding hard for 10+ hours I manage to outplay or bust a player, maybe bust them twice, don't really want to see them still in the tourney having shoved any 2 every hand and amassing a huge 3rd stack. It's like giving Man United unlimited added time at the end of a game until they score (thank god that never happens ;) ) or allowing a footballer with 2 red cards for dangerous play another chance because "he's a nice boy really and it's so out of character". Game of paper, scissors, stone anyone? Damn lost, best of 3? Oh wait lost 1-2, best of 5? best of 7? best of 9? Thoughts genuinely welcomed from less old fashioned, less set in ways, less synical old gits than myself Disclaimer: don't be fooled by the tone of this post, the poor attempt at humour is just a way of getting discussion started ;) genuinely interested in understanding the different dynamics of these new age formats.

Re: New tournament formats This will no doubt be aimed at regs whom can afford to re enter and buy in on different days meaning players with more bankroll will have more chips and more bullets to fire and have a greater edge over players whom have just one shot at the cherry ,, it means more chance it being any overlay in any gtd tourny ,, there just covering their backs so they dont lose ,, great concept but hardly a level playing field for all

Re: New tournament formats I wouldn't like them as a personal point of view, I watch EPT on channel 4 and love the fact there always seems to be a guy who satellited in for a ten dollar buy in and make it onto the final table. Keeps the romance alive for player who could never normally afford it too. Other side of it though, I said I watch a lot of the EPT, PCA and WSOP but not a lot of the WPT. If there trying it and I speak on having little knowledge other than bits and bobs I seen in magazines I never see the big names in them ones. This way could they not increase the amount of big names returning (if they left) returning and making more final tables etc bringing in viewing figures and increase amount of people playing st same time. Other game styles I haven't tried and that but online on 888 they do roller coaster blinds. Blinds start steep but begin to last longer not exactly a new idea I suppose but should mean final stage play, means more room to play once field has shortened rather than just an all out shove fest.

Re: New tournament formats

Thoughts anyone? Don't advertise it as a £200 tournament when no-one in their right mind would play a single day 1 grossly disadvantaging themselves in an already small edge situation, except perhaps for a freerolling or micro sats player looking for a complete run like god bink (and don't you just hate it when people do that :p ) .
So would it not follow that if you have busted on day 1a you would be at a pretty severe disadvantage even if you planned to buy in two more times. Seems like a way to get rich fish to inject some cash into the poker economy. "Thoughts genuinely welcomed from less old fashioned, less set in ways, less cynical old gits than myself." oops sorry that's me excluded;)

Re: New tournament formats I can see why the pros like it. Not so good for us mere mortals. Basically, a £200 comp with 3 day 1s and multi-entry should be viewed as a £600 comp. Playing it any other way is like taking a knife to a gunfight. Didn't FullTilt start doing these types of comp just before Black Friday? I think you were allowed 4 entries, and your chip stacks were merged if you got through to the final few tables.

Re: New tournament formats I believe DTD is doing this for their upcoming Grand Prix. 12 starting days and I think you can potentially play each one accumulating stacks for day 2. As people have said. For recreational players and those taking a shot it is giving us a serious disadvantage but it's better for the pro's who travel over and can still play if they bust early. Multi entry tournaments still exist on Full Tilt but I must admit I'm not a massive fan of them but that might be more to do with the tables cluttering my screen. I'm going to be playing at least one Online Day 1 for the Grand Prix so if I make day 2 I'll report back on how people have viewed the comp.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: New tournament formats Like Bart, I'm a fan of standard freezeouts and much prefer these to any other tournament format. That said, I can see the appeal of this format in the new Party series. The relatively low buy in (for those players only planning on using one bullet) will attract plenty of recreational players, while the chance to bump the buy-in up by playing all three starting days will attract the better players and big hitters. It gives the players the chance to play for a much bigger prize pool than the buy-in would usually create.