Rugby Union Tsunami Relief Match - North v South

The North 2.36 The South 1.50 Odds from Betfair Former England captain Lawrence Dallaglio will lead the Northern Hemisphere team in Saturday's IRB Rugby Aid match at Twickenham. Dallaglio takes over from Brian O'Driscoll, originally named as the North captain, for the contest to raise funds for the tsunami appeal. The South will be led by George Gregan, one of four Wallabies, alongside five Springboks and four All Blacks. Worcester prop Chris Horsman is the only uncapped player in the two sides. Horsman is being targeted by Wales when he qualifies on residency grounds but could win an England call-up after some strong displays in the Zurich Premiership of late. He will feature alongside England reserve hooker Andy Titterrell, one of several late additions to the Northern Hemisphere side. Wales scrum-half Gareth Cooper, Italy wing Mirko Bergamasco, ireland lock Donncha O'Callaghan and former England flanker Pat Sanderson have also been called up.

o.gifPhone 0870 9020000 for tickets Phone 0870 756 7979 for donations Calls will be charged at standard national rate. Calls from mobile phones may incurr extra charges. For calls from overseas, dial + 44 followed by 870 756 7979.
The North were forced to make a late change on Friday with France centre Damien Traille unable to fly from Bilbao due to heavy snow. Ceri Sweeney is promoted from the replacements to the starting side, with Wales centre Mark Taylor drafted onto the bench. Sweeney will be alongside Leicester centre Ollie Smith, one of several players looking to impress Lions coach Sir Clive Woodward, coach of the North side. "I think it's fantastic for Ollie," Tigers coach John Wells told BBC Radio Leicester. "He was probably going to have the weekend off this week and I hope Clive gets the chance to see the qualities that Leicester and England have been seeing all year." Woodward will also assess other potential Lions candidates such as Scotland pair Simon Taylor and Chris Paterson, Wales scrum-half Cooper and Ireland lock O'Callaghan.
o.gifO'Driscoll eyes French clash
O'Driscoll, who was due to have led the North side, will not be risked a week before Ireland's clash with France after picking up an elbow knock against England. "I have spoken to Brian and he is bitterly disappointed not to be playing," said Woodward. "However, he has come over for the game to show his support for the guys. "Lawrence is a proven, outstanding player and he is relishing the prospect of stepping up to the mark and taking on the role of captaincy for this unique match." South African flanker Schalk Burger has shaken off a leg injury to take his place in the Southern Hemisphere starting line-up. He will join fellow Springboks John Smit, Cobus Visagie and Victor Matfield in the pack, with Jacque Fourie among the centres.
o.gifUmaga ready for Lions
All Blacks captain Tana Umaga and veteran fly-half Andrew Mehrtens are among the leading lights in the back division. Supporters can watch the teams train for free at Twickenham on Friday, 4 March. Woodward will put his North team through their paces at 1030 GMT, with the South side, coached by former Wallabies coach Rod Macqueen, due at the stadium at 1330. Proceeds from the match will go to the IRB's humanitarian partner, the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP), to support their vital work in affected areas following the Asian tsunami on Boxing Day.
Northern Hemisphere team: C Paterson (Scotland); M Bergamasco (Italy), O Smith (England), C Sweeney (Wales), B Cohen (England); D Humphreys (Ireland), G Cooper (Wales); J Yapp (Wales), A Titterrell (England), C Horsman (Worcester); M Bortolami (Italy), D O'Callaghan (Ireland); L Dallaglio (England - capt), P Sanderson (England), S Taylor (Scotland). Replacements: R Ibanez (France), C Soulette (France), O Brouzet (France), J Thomas (Wales), M Phillips (Llanelli), M Taylor (Wales), M Tait (England). Pitchside: Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland) Southern Hemisphere team: C Latham (Australia); B Lima (Samoa), J Fourie (SA), T Umaga (New Zealand), S Bobo (Fiji); A Mehrtens (NZ) G Gregan (Aus - capt); C Hoeft (NZ), J Smit (SA), C Visagie (SA); M Mustchin (Ulster), V Matfield (SA); S Burger (SA), P Waugh (Aus), T Kefu (Aus). Replacements: E Taukafa (Tonga), E Guinazu (Argentina), S Sititi (Samoa), O Palepoi (Samoa), M Rauluni (Fiji), T Delport (SA), S Drahm (Aus).

Re: Rugby Union Tsunami Relief Match - North v South Both hemispheres not as strong as they could be with a lot of the best players making themselves unavailable or are injured. To me the southern hemisphere team does look to be stronger and more mobile. I'm not sure what type pf game ot expect here. It is a game with nothing on it except for pride and a chance to show your team mates how good a player you are so it could be a high scoring game where the ball is moved around wide and often or it could be a real north v south grudge match where the forwards tear in to each other. I'm going to opt for the former and I think the ball will be spread wide a lot and that should favour a higher scoring match which is more the southern hemisphere's strength. I'm predicting roughly a 29-17 scoreline in the south's favour and I'll be backing the south for a win at $1.50.