** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Davis Cup weekend of 4th March

A few possibilities here: Belarus v Romania Mirnyi to beat Hanescu 5/6 Vcbet Surely shome mistake here. Mirnyi in good form, ATP finalist recently. Hanescu average at best. Odds purely down to Hanescu being the home player. J Johansson to beat Mathieu Evens Tote More strangeness. JJ 15-3 this year. Mathieu struggling a bit. Again, odds due to home player being Mathieu. Mathieu has done well for France in Davis Cup before, but has been known to throw it away when in winning positions. JJ ultra consistent and sure to be tough. Wessels to beat Wawrinka 5/6 Tote This time I am with the home boy. Wessels some decent results this season, could be too tough for Wawrinka, with home advantage possibly being a factor in this rubber. Otherwise, Thomas Johansson possibly too long at 9/4 versus a rusty Grosjean. Okun vs Bogdanovic looks a solid 8/13 shot for the Israelis, who will surely need that one if Rusedski wins as expected.

Re: Davis Cup weekend of 4th March

Belarus v Romania Mirnyi to beat Hanescu 5/6 Vcbet Surely shome mistake here. Mirnyi in good form, ATP finalist recently. Hanescu average at best. Odds purely down to Hanescu being the home player. J Johansson to beat Mathieu Evens Tote More strangeness. JJ 15-3 this year. Mathieu struggling a bit. Again, odds due to home player being Mathieu. Mathieu has done well for France in Davis Cup before, but has been known to throw it away when in winning positions. JJ ultra consistent and sure to be tough.
NO!! They odds are purely down to the matches being played on clay, a surface on which Mirnyi and JJ suck. Both pretty dicey games, could go either way, maybe Mirnyi the better bet as the Beast is always pumped up for Davis Cup. Agreed Wessels looks a cracker on a quick court against Waz who really isn't much good. Okun is near a banker, Boggy won't be able to cope with him from the back of the court. Indeed Isreal look a big price at anything close to or over evens, expect Greg to pick up 2 wins but don't see Boggy doing much damage, and they have a very decent doubles pair. I don't have time to look into anything in detail, maybe I will later on and get something posted up.:ok

Re: Davis Cup weekend of 4th March Seen Hbarty praised other places. The surface should apparantly suit him perfect. He is also playing at home. Should also have made great results in the Davis cup earlier, beating Roddick and others. He meets Verdasco, who should be a novice in davis cup. Anyone???? Mr i, Jeffers or Edetk perhaps

Re: Davis Cup weekend of 4th March Yeah I strongly fancy Hrbaty there. Verdasco just doesn't impress me, his serve doesn't do too much damage and he tends to spray too many balls from the back. He is definately the worst of the new generation of Spaniards (Nadal, F Lopez, Robredo). The Spaniards have also been complaining about the surface, saying just they can't return serve on it:lol. So I take it that it is rather speedy and isn't of the highest quality. I also fancy the Slovaks to take the tie, prices generally 2.25+. Can't see Verdasco winning against Hrbaty or Beck. Both these players will give Lopez a tough game, perhaps Hrbaty can take him down with the crowd and big Davis Cup experience. Doubles is a tough one to call, calue definately with the Slovaks.

Re: Davis Cup weekend of 4th March I wouldn't advise anyone to touch Wessels against Wawrinka as this isn't as clearcut a match as many are making it out to be IMO. Truth be told, I've a slight inclination for Wawrinka without having seen the price myself. This match is played on a Rebound Ace Surface(the same surface used at the Australian Open) at the Expo Centre in Switzerland. Wawrinka is an up-and-coming player who has shown decent potential with his recent exploits, not least his defeat of Grosjean and pushing Federer close in the recent ABN AMRO tournament in Netherlands. By contrast, Wessels lost to Llodra in the opening round in front of his own crowd in the same tournament which really doesn't speak volumes of him at all IMO. Wawrinka has a 0-1 all-time record in this tournament although it must be noted he lost by a slender 3-6, 7-6, 3-6 to Hanescu on clay in Romania last year which I thought was absolutely commendable given Hanescu's experience as a much better claycourt player. All in all, you've got to fancy Wawrinka here as he just looks the better bet than Wessels. :ok

Re: Davis Cup weekend of 4th March

Yeah I strongly fancy Hrbaty there. Verdasco just doesn't impress me' date=' his serve doesn't do too much damage and he tends to spray too many balls from the back. He is definately the worst of the new generation of Spaniards (Nadal, F Lopez, Robredo). The Spaniards have also been complaining about the surface, saying just they can't return serve on it:lol. So I take it that it is rather speedy and isn't of the highest quality. I also fancy the Slovaks to take the tie, prices generally 2.25+. Can't see Verdasco winning against Hrbaty or Beck. Both these players will give Lopez a tough game, perhaps Hrbaty can take him down with the crowd and big Davis Cup experience. Doubles is a tough one to call, calue definately with the Slovaks.[/quote'] On what surface is this match played? Anyway, does anyone know where you could check the surface on which a particular Davis Cup match is played? If this was played on clay, I'm afraid I've got to go with Verdasco as he'd just be too strong for Hrbaty. On the other hand, if this was a hardcourt match, then I think there's massive value on Hrbaty and full stakes could be warranted here as there's little doubt Hrbaty has just got the better pedigree. :tongue2

Re: Davis Cup weekend of 4th March Slovakia - Spain will be played on a fast, hard surface. Heavy balls will be used, which should slow down Lopez' serve. Verdasco leads 2-0 against Hrbaty but Hrbaty said on a press conference that Slovakia are going to win this tie. Hrbaty is usually very reliable in home Davis Cup games and the crowd does wonders for him. I dare not bet on the tie outcome so far, as I do not see much value on either side. Might have a flutter on one of the individual matches though, if the odds are right.

Re: Davis Cup weekend of 4th March Just some quick Davis Cup picks : 8 points Nalbandian to beat Novak (1.40) - Although Novak leads 1-0 on h2h, you can't help but feel Novak has been in bits and pieces so far this year and quite frankly, I just can't see him getting anything against Nalbandian on clay as the Argentine has really come on in leaps and bounds on clay over the last year. 8 points Agassi to beat Ljubicic (1.50) - This is a great price IMO for the veteran American. His all-round game is just too good for Ljubicic IMO much as I have enjoyed the Croat's performances over the last month. Don't be fooled by the fact he pushed Federer close in two ATP finals as it must have been obvious to anyone who watched those matches Federer never stepped out of third gear. I feel Agassi's quality returns will make the difference here. 8 points Hrbaty to beat Verdasco (1.53) - As this match is played on hardcourt, I think Hrbaty's form and experience should tip this one in his favour, not to mention he can only be helped by the home support. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok