The future of on course bookmaking

You might have seen Geoff Banks the bookie on TV at some point. He has just done a blog post on the future of on course bookmaking and can at least see why it's on its arse and dying. His blog is here: http://www.bettingexpert.com/blog/saving-on-course-betting He says what many have said before, the bookies are traders now, using Betfair and laying us odds on course lower than what they are backing or trading off. The boards are uniform, you can't play the boards any more as all the odds are the same. They don't offer BOG and some have the cheek to offer 1/7th and 1/8th each way terms. I like to still have a few quid at the course now and again but it's less and less. I told him we play them at their own game, check betfair on our phones, get bets on at the course via mobiles. One of his suggestions is to do away with Wifi at the racecourse so the bookies can't trade like they do. I think it will go the other way with no on course bookies within 5-10 years and there will be Wifi lounges where you get a drink, a sandwich and place a bet using free wifi with your desired bookmaker. As one punter at York said "they don't deserve our money" and with poor odds and ew terms he was right. I was at Haydock and 2-1 was showing with 1 bookie for Two Rockers, I went up and asked for £40 on it, he shortened to 15-8 and I told him I wanted the 2-1 that was up when I got there, he refused so I went elsewhere. £40 for gods sake, I'm hardly going to break the bank am I??? It will be interesting to see what the betting ring is like at Ludlow on a Thursday this week.

Re: The future of on course bookmaking Graham Cunningham was saying on Racing Uk the other day that he had a wonder around the bookies in between races and saw 1/7th odds EW marked up. This is just scandalous and should be a rule that all bookies are governed by surely? I don't go into the ring much when i do go racing but thought this practise was long gone, i remember 1/6th EW was allowed when the fav was odds on but this is ridiculous. Its ok these bookies moaning about the state of the industry but they do make a good living at the big meetings, its like the high street shops, they are quiet in midweek and mad on a Saturday, whats the difference? Does he think he is in a job that is completely the reverse of day to day life or something, he should get out and walk down any major high street in England on a wet monday and see how the traders are doing. At the end of the day there are too many bookies after the same quid and only those in prime positions that have the cash to pay for the best pitches have a good turnover and he is one of those lucky ones. I know when me and my brother held a license it was a waste of time in the main, stuck on the back row just taking good money from the other bookies wanting to lay off their liabilities near the off. We ended up just going to point to point meetings where we treated as equal. Its a jungle and and not a very nice one was my overall view on it. Its a hard life standing their taking money of half pissed punters and the watching a 66/1 rag romp home isn't it! No sympathy from me i'm afraid and wouldnt be dead against a Tote system on course to be honest.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.