cheltenham preview nights 2013

beaker1

Cheltenham Festival Preview Evening at Exeter Racecourse.Thursday 21st February Channel 4′s Tanya Stevenson acted as compere for a star-studded panel, which included three of the top trainers in Britain – Paul Nicholls, Philip Hobbs and David Pipe. They were joined by Paul Binfield (Paddy Power), Andrew King (Racing Post Journalist) and Nick Schofield (Grade 1 winning Jockey). A top-class panel, who between them have won everything there is to win in National Hunt Racing, provided a fascinating insight into this year’s festival and the main protagonists. PN – Paul Nicholls DP – David Pipe PH – Phillip Hobbs AK – Andrew King PB – Paul Binfield NS – Nick Schofield TS – Tanya Stevenson Supreme Novices PN: Dodging Bullets has done nothing wrong; he ran a very good race behind Countrywide Flame last year and has to be in with a chance. He needs an end to end gallop and this race will suit him. My Tent Or Yours looks invincible on his last performance. DP: None of mine should be troubling the judge, Flying Cross may be an outsider but it would be a very big ask. PH: Cheltenian has come out of this week’s race well, and he is very decent. We will decide this week whether to go to Cheltenham or skip the Festival and have a prep race ahead of Aintree. AK: It’s very difficult to move away from My Tent Or Yours – he should win. PB: My Tent Or Yours is a long way clear of Jezki and we should see this at the festival. NS: The general feeling is that we will head for the Supreme with Melodic Rendezvous. Champagne Fever will make it a tough stamina test and we are hoping that My Tent Or Yours won’t stay up the hill. Arkle AK: Simonsig is the most likely winner. Overturn will set the pace and in so doing set the race up for Simonsig, who looks a cut above the rest. PN: Fago was going to win last time out but his jumping let him down; he is a typical French jumper. He runs on Friday and he’d have to win for us to go to Cheltenham. He has enough speed and although Simonsig and Overturn do look very impressive they have enjoyed success with a soft lead in small fields – they won’t get that at Cheltenham and I don’t think they are as nailed on as people are suggesting. PH: I’d rather go with Overturn, he is the best hurdler of the two of them. DP: His Excellency won’t run in this, he will go for the Grand Annual. I personally like Overturn for the race. AK: Looking at outsiders with a chance, it is difficult, maybe Fago if he wins tomorrow but it’s realistically between the two market leaders. PB: Arvika Ligeonniere could be the one to beat, he looks very exciting over 2 miles and at 10/1 I would rather have him than Simonsig and Overturn at shorter prices. Champion Hurdle PN: Zarkandar won the triumph and had problems here last year, he was coughing, but he is a different horse this year. He is workmanlike and never flashy, but I can’t see a lot between the top four, mine, Hurricane Fly, Grandouet and Rock On Ruby. AK: Rock On Ruby will win; it was certainly no fluke last year. He won the race on merit and will reverse the form with Zarkandar and Grandouet from earlier this season. PN: Cinders And Ashes on this year’s form is not good enough. PB: Hurricane Fly has not been beating much in Ireland and I would be happy to lay him and go with Rock On Ruby. DP: I think Hurricane Fly will regain his crown. There is not a lot dividing the top four. PN: Ruby will ride the Fly. He won the race on him before and won’t get off him, who would if he won it on him before. Khyber Kim ran a great race last weekend but won’t be too much of a danger. I can’t see where the pace will come from – maybe Countrywide Flame or Rock On Ruby as he is a bit of a stayer. It’s certainly something we will need to think about. Neptune DP: Broadway Buffalo is a decent horse but his jumping isn’t the best. He runs at Warwick on Friday and he needs to run well there. Gevrey Chambertin is going to go for the Albert Bartlett. Ak: Pont Alexandra looks very good, but the ground is changing. Taquin Du Seuil could be the one for me; his only defeat came to My Tent Or Yours. PB: Pont Alexandre is the first Irish banker of the meeting. I think he is an absolute monster and his action suggests that good ground would be perfect for him. RSA Chase DP: Dynaste’s owner is here tonight to find out where his horse is running! We have been joking about the ground but we are keeping our options open. He has the ability to win both (RSA & Jewson), if it’s good we will go for the RSA if it’s soft the Jewson will be on the cards. Our Father is very good on his day, but this tends to be first time out. Goulanes isn’t flashy but has a great attitude, we may go for this or the 4 mile race, if he went in this he would need every yard. AK: David will win with Dynaste if he runs. PN: Rocky Creek will probably go to Aintree as Cheltenham won’t really suit him. Unioniste will run in this unless the ground comes up very soft. PB: I want to lay Dynaste, as stamina is an issue. Super Duty looks interesting on good ground and at 20/1 he looks each way value. Champion Chase PH: Wishfull Thinking will most likely run in this and it would be quite nice to finish second to Sprinter Sacre. PN: Sprinter Sacre is nailed on for this – unbeatable. Sanctuaire will run in this and should finish second. AK: Sprinter Sacre was my lay of the meeting 12 months ago, but he has got to be a sure fire winner. PB: Sizing Europe is most likely to run in the Ryanair mainly because Sprinter is an aeroplane. Rest of Wednesday PN: Wonderful Charm is going for the Coral Cup. He looks a really nice horse but I’m a bit in the dark as we have been unable to run him due to the ground. Jewson Novices PH: Tony Star isn’t really good enough for this. AK: Captain Conan is favourite, but by no means is he home and hosed. Nobody knows where Dynaste will be running. PB: The Henderson yard is very bullish about Captain Conan and 9/2 looks good value. I personally like Aupcharlie over in Ireland who was beaten last time out by Tofino Bay who would have relished the ground. Ryanair PH: Its Menorah’s fourth festival and the plan will be to run him in this. DP: Zaynar will be going for the Byrne Group Plate. Grands Crus has a racecourse gallop soon and we aren’t sure where he is going yet. PH: It was going to be very close between Captain Chris and Cue Card on Saturday so he must be in with a great chance in this. PB: Cue Card will go for this and will be pretty tough to beat, but I really like First Lieutenant based on his form this year. NS: Hunt Ball won’t run in this and will be heading for a handicap. PN: Ghizao will run in this, he shouldn’t be good enough here, but he ran a good race at the weekend. World Hurdle PN: I’ve always wanted to run Celestial Halo over a trip, he ran really well behind Zarkandar on Saturday after a long layoff and at 66/1 he looks a huge price for this race. AK: Oscar Whisky is the class act in the race and there have to be question marks over Reve De Sivola if the ground dries up. DP: Reve De Sivola is very ground dependent; if it’s soft he is in with a great shout. PH: Monksland looks the best of the Irish string. PB: The Bog Warrior looked very good when beating Zaidpour; he is the one to look forward to. AK: I wouldn’t rule out Peddlers Cross. NS: The Bog Warrior is the one for me; his Irish form looks really good. PN: If the ground is good, Oscar Whisky will be very tough to beat. Rest of Thursday PN: Sam Winner looks very nice in the Pertemps. He ran really well in the qualifier and beat Peddlers Cross in the Bumper for Jumpers at Kempton the other week. JCB Triumph Hurdle PN: Far West goes for this and showed a great turn of foot at Ascot last week. It turned into a bit of a sprint, but he has done everything right so far. DP: I have no runners here. I was very impressed with Our Conor at Leopardstown and he looks the one to beat. AK: My feelings are that the Triumph is a very poor race this year. Again, it all depends on the ground, as most of this form is on soft conditions, meaning there could be a big upset if the ground comes up good. PB: Far West shortened in the market today. I do agree with David Pipe – Our Conor looked quite smart. PN: Lac Fontana runs this Saturday and if he wins that, he will run here and could be a dark horse. Albert Bartlett PN: I have nothing good enough to run here. PH: Whisper County runs here. He only has had one run with us and is actually for sale! He stays well and looks a nice chaser for next season. DP: I will have five or six in this. Although I would be surprised if one of them wins this, I have to find six jockeys first! AK: Fishers Cross has an outstanding chance here. He goes on both grounds, but I think he will be better on a sounder surface. TS: African Gold looks a nice type and is a battler. Also take note that Rebecca Curtis and Tony McCoy have a remarkable strike rate this season, so keep an eye on that partnership. Gold Cup PH: Captain Chris is in good form since his Ascot run and goes for the Gold Cup. I feel he will be suited by good ground and has won here before. PN: Silviniaco Conti had a good season as a novice last year. He is nothing flashy but he jumps and stays. I think the race will be between the three novices; ourselves, Sir Des Champs and Bobs Worth. It’s a good looking Gold Cup. DP: No runners here. I am going with Bobs Worth; he is the best of this lot I think. I would like The Giant Bolster at a big price, I have heard reports that they have been having problems with the gallops at home, but that is all sorted now. AK: I think it is a year for the novices really. Bobs Worth seems to have a touch of class, but 5/2 is not a price to be backing him. PB: I think it will fall the way of Sir Des Champs. Captain Chris looks a nice each way bet at 20/1. NS: Long Run is only an eight-year-old and can come back and win it. TS: I have always had a soft spot for Colm Murphy’s Quito De La Roque. If he does go for this I will be having him each way at 66/1. Charity Bets (£200 each). PN: £100 each way on Dodging Bullets. PH: £200 win on Overturn. AK: £200 win on Colour Squadron. DP: £200 win on Cue Card in the Ryanair. NS: £200 win on Cadlo in the JLT. TS: £200 win on Our Mick on the Tuesday.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.