Want some advice on 7 Card Stud

JulieC

I've played Texas on the net for a while now and fancy a change. I've been reading up on 7 Card Stud, and I think I'll give that a go. My question is, should I mix up the game types, or not play Texas at all while I concentrate on Stud? My concern is that the two games have different strategies, and my little brain might get confused. What do you think?

Re: Want some advice on 7 Card Stud I play mostly omaha/omaha hi/lo cash these days and no straight holdem cash at all. Dont think you can play omaha along side holdem. I would think with the importance of knowing discarded cards in stud games most peoples brains would get confused so I would stick to stud. Don't know if you multi-table stud but that must be near impossible. Think there might be a lot of easy money at stud tables if your any good at it though so good luck. Oh. whatever you do don't play stud and stud hi/lo at the same time you might just end up in the poor house and the mad house.

Re: Want some advice on 7 Card Stud

I would think with the importance of knowing discarded cards in stud games most peoples brains would get confused so I would stick to stud. Don't know if you multi-table stud but that must be near impossible. Think there might be a lot of easy money at stud tables if your any good at it though so good luck. Oh. whatever you do don't play stud and stud hi/lo at the same time you might just end up in the poor house and the mad house.
1 table only for me. Sounds like good advice - much appreciated

Re: Want some advice on 7 Card Stud Hi Julie. I've just started playing 7Lstud (both micro cash and low buy in tournies) and have found that it's confusing the hell out of me if I have any other variant alongside. Also I can't manage more than one table with Stud because as glceud you should really try and keep up with dead/discarded cards. I'm enjoying playing it and the next one for me is Razz (probably on Full Tilt). Good luck and keep us updated :ok

Hi Julie. I've just started playing 7Lstud (both micro cash and low buy in tournies) and have found that it's confusing the hell out of me if I have any other variant alongside. Also I can't manage more than one table with Stud because as glceud you should really try and keep up with dead/discarded cards.
Thanks for the advice. I know I'm nowhere near clever enough to play Stud on 1 table whilst playing holdem on another. I'm playing low stakes cash. While I'm learning stud, should I drop holdem entirely and stick to stud for a few months? Or is it ok to play stud 1 day, and holdem another? Is regular switching between the two likely to inhibit my stud development?

Re: Want some advice on 7 Card Stud NLHE especially, is popular because of the downright aggression and pressure that you are able to put on your opponents and chase them from a draw. Stud is fun but like any limit game you have the odds to call a lot of the time and with no community cards in stud this rises further. For example, last night it was obvious that I had split Qs and he had split 10s and because he was holding another Q I couldn't shake him off as he had a good chance of hitting 2 pair. As it was I made two pair on 7th street while he hit a 10. He just simply called every bet. As a newbie to the game I don't quite know what I could have done and whether he was right to call every street. It was just before the money as well.

Just read an article on 7 card stud in poker magazine.Looks fun.Why is holdem so much more popular than stud?Is it down to tv coverage?
Because any idiot can play it, the other formats require at least a modicum of intelligence.