Discipline

I was having a look back at some of the profitable systems on here and wondered to myself whether the original poster actually put their money down and backed the runners themselves, and are they still doing so. It takes a lot of time and discipline to stick rigidly to a system backing every horse every day. Its the only way to learn the emotional side of betting though as paper chasing in the end is like playing poker with buttons. I stuck to a system i devised last may on the flat and made a small profit last year, im hoping to up the stakes this year. I did start backing my novice hurdle system 2 weeks ago but have been decimated by the weather from the outset. I would be interested if anyone here actually has made good profits from their systems they've put up on these boards as i suppose thats the whole point of them

Re: Discipline

I would be interested if anyone here actually has made good profits from their systems they've put up on these boards as i suppose thats the whole point of them
I bet on football, not horses, but I was drawn to the thread title. I think you make some good points about systems and discipline. Personally, I find it easier to run systems for other people or for public websites than for myself. I think it's something to do with feeling an obligation to someone, even if you don't know them. Sometimes if I post a tip on this site, I get nervous about the result, even if I forgot to put a bet on myself ... I also find I have more than one way of finding bets, so in reality when it comes to my own bets, I think I'm running several systems at once - which makes discipline and being "in control" all the more important.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.