Memorable Races

I'm sure there have been plenty of threads like this in the past but still... cpo mentioned elsewhere about a discussion of some of the best races from 2012 but I thought overall what are the races that stand out for you? This can be for any reason - punting wise, a classic/entertaining race or a great performance etc. It would be especially interesting for me personally to find some footage for some of the older races that I'm sure people on here will remember as I love watching old Grand Nationals and stuff. I realise that if the races were from years ago and weren't very high-profile then video footage will be very hard to come by but still talking about them will still be interesting. Personally I have a few. You can watch this one on the ATR website but not on Youtube. Anyway, I had just about got into racing quite a lot by Royal Ascot in 2007 and really fancied Indian Ink in the Coronation Stakes 'cos the rain came for her. Obviously I wasn't old enough to bet but it was still a race I took an interest in and the performance still stands out in my memory. It may well have been a different story on better ground but Richard Hughes came down the outside cantering and then quickened away in the mud really impressively to put lengths between herself and the rest of the field very quickly. Went on to win by 6l and that was her final race. Not a bad way to go out! A fairly obvious one also was the 2008 Gold Cup. Although very much respecting both Denman and Kauto Star I think you always tended to have a special soft spot for one of them and mine was for Denman. I was really looking forward to getting home from sixth form to watch the recording without knowing the result and I did fancy Denman to get the better of Kauto. Was a great race seeing him run and jump them into submission from the front. Great commentary too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQTzaCWnmA And another horse who you can't help but love is Lough Derg. He had many cracking races (there is a compilation on Youtube that I watched not long ago) but for one reason or another his win at Cheltenham in January 2009 was my favourite. It was a decent race and even though you knew what he was capable of you still couldn't really think he was going to get there as the ground wasn't too bad, the others were travelling, and it wasn't a case of horses going off too quick and falling in a hole. Okay, they didn't find as much as expected but still, seeing him come back up the stands rail was incredible and the commentary was brilliant too with pure emotion in there. That comes at 1:20 in the compilation (can't find individual race on Youtube - although available through the RUK archive). Oh and if he'd have got back up in the race at 7:20 then that would have been absurd (he very nearly did!) Can't put two videos in the same post so will put this one in the next post. Anyway, I'll stop blabbing on. Would be nice to hear other people's memorable ones (with videos if possible!).

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.