Why do you read the systems and strategy pages?

Any comments here?? I'm asking as I'm quite intrigued at the amount of traffic in this forum, the types of 'systems' fellow punters post to/view the most, the amount of threads which die after a very short time, and whether there are that many ever interested in the serious and valued advice that I've seen many of the 'older hands' give in this forum. I've been a regular here for over a year, but only fairly recently started posting. I'm afraid to say that most of the ideas presented here are seriously flawed, from a theoretical point of view - and reasoned mathematical arguments, well thought out, are often given but sometimes ignored. It's no big deal to me - but I'm sure that the same types of arguments are brought out time after time after time. The amount of systems posted where simple backtesting can be done, but isn't, is simply breath-taking. And where testing has to be live, as can be the case, the samples presented in this forum fall well short of the amount required to bring any significance into the findings. I've utmost respect for any contributor here who sticks at their system for a good while (ONEDUNME - superb commitment there) - and of course everyone has the right to prove the rest wrong. But honestly, a little more rigour in the processes involved would benefit not only the quality of this forum - but is also in the interests of the originator of the system. If advice was taken on board, better ideas would be forthcoming. Before anyone gets personal and launches into me here (I'm not talking about all the systems presented here!)- I am a mathematician, who has spent more than enough time researching the field, and I'm posting this in order to benefit the forum. Personal comment - I think it was better when there was a separate 'Systems' page and a 'Glory Hunt' page.:(

Re: Why do you read the systems and strategy pages? Good point mronemore, I think people are often after a) a fast easy route to lots of profit or b) to show everyone else they know what they are doing, and proove themselves as a tipster think this is why we sometimes get systems on here that just wont make a profit, and like you say can be easily shown not to make a profit very simply. I suppose in a way everyone's entitled to their chance to fail or succeed, after all we only learn from our mistakes, but sometimes you would think that common sense would prevail

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.