Tennis thread.

Ok. After some time off thought I might start on some good ol' tennis betting again. First thing I would do is to put an accy on for the big 4 here: Johansson, Federer, Roddick and Tommy Haas. These 4 dont give the best return, at around 1.27 but these are sure bankers. Possible Upsets: Henman V Kiefer, Keifer has the possibility to beat Henman here, who lost in the australian somewhat suprisingly to Davydenko. Keifer has not been too bad this year, so there is possible value in 2.62 I also quite fancy Ancic to beat Taylor dent. I have never really been a big fan of Dent, and I guess it will come down to who serves best on the day. Picks: Ok. Well if I will be going for (strength out of 10) 10/10 on the Accumulator above @1.27 4/10 Kiefer tb Henman @2.62 4/10 Ancic tb Dent 5/10 Schalken tb Pavel Fingers crossed everyone Sco

Re: Tennis thread. Hass is having back problems so make sure you use a bookie that will void the selection if he has to retire. I would leave him out at such a short price, as the problem restricts his serve. The courts at the ABM indoor and fast suit Henmans game perfectly, if he was playing Kiefer outside on rebound ace think there would be good value in Kiefer. But not so sure indoors on faster courts , also Kiefer just lost in S/Sets first round of open 13 indoor to Beck and was reported off form. Like you say Dent - Ancic could go either way. Think Schalken is the best bet coming back to form with the home crowd and the fact that he beat Pavel in S/Sets in thier only previous hard court match.

Re: Tennis thread. Just looked at the Henman - Kiefer head to heads , Henmans won the last four. Three in S/Sets including Rotterdam 2002. Check out the Hrbaty - Ljubicic head to head , Ljubicic leads 4-0 and is playing well, Hrbaty lost first round open 13 to Ancic and did not look like the Hrbaty of early 2004. Think I will go for a smallish treble Henman Ljubicic Schalken Pays around 5.0 Good luck

Re: Tennis thread. Brasil Open Mello to beat Montanes 1.53 Coral This must be the tennis bet of the week. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, shouldn't Mello be 1/4 here, at best? Mello on home soil, recently won a Challenger in Sao Paulo (on hard though, this is clay). Mello good form over later part of last year, 3-3 this year. Montanes 0-3 this year, losing to some poor players. Can't see that he has won a match on ATP tour since Wimbledon last year (?!). Please convince me not to put my house on this.. Well, perhaps not my house. We all know what tennis bets are like.

Re: Tennis thread. Mello 8/13 at Sporting Odds !! Can't last long, surely. Anyone know any problems with Mello/Montanes? Only possible problem is that it's on clay, Montanes' supposed preferred surface. The difference in form is still too great to make it a big problem. I must be missing something, if Mello is rated 8/13...

Re: Tennis thread. Montanes has only won 3 from 20 (includeing Challengers) in his last 20 starts. Its one of the worst slumps in tennis at the moment. He actually had a pretty good first half of 2004 (Final in Valencia) a few Challenger semis but the wheels have well and truly come off now. My only worry is that it is the first clay start of the year for Mello. As against that he tends to play well at home (hes won iN Sao Paolo twice on hardcourt). Medium stakes on Mello for mje here.

Re: Tennis thread. Betting on schalken in risky because he has troubles with his foot. The match is already changed to wednesday. And betting against Henman was also risky because he has said he wants to win the tournament and Kiefer is not the top from the tennis at moment.

Re: Tennis thread. not unless you did some set betting;) Ancic won, which was a good result, the Henman game was always more specualtive than anything else...I like to bet against Henman, cos when he wins im happy, and when he loses I'm rich!:D Sco

Re: Tennis thread. I am surprised no one has mentioned Coria to beat Srichaphan widely available at around 1.50 at most places. Srichaphan was horrendous in his first round match when he beat Andreev 7-6, 1-6, 7-5 squandering at least 20 break points along the way. He simply isn't in Coria's class and anything above 1.30 has got to be value here IMO. Get on it quick though, most books stop taking bets for that match in under half an hour (pencilled in for a 1130GMT start). In addition, I'll throw in Schalken to make a nice double here as I think Pavel is just past it - age is obviously catching up with him and with the home crowd backing Schalken to boot, I just can't see Pavel winning this. 4 pts Schalken-Coria double (2.50 @ William Hill) 10 pts Coria to beat Srichaphan (1.50 @ William Hill) Cheers & Good Luck! :ok

Re: Tennis thread. ATP Brazil Sa to beat Luczak 6/4 Blue Square Luczak beat Gonzalez in the first round, fair enough, but he was complaining about the heat and humidity. Sa cruised through first round, and is obviously on home soil here. Leads head to head 1-0, but that was on hard. Recently successful in Challengers, Sa comes in in good form. Great win for Luczak in the first round, but Sa is great value here. 13/8 at Bet 365, but I have taken 6/4 at Blue Sq, so I get paid if Luczak retires through heat exhaustion, etc. Should also consider: Massa to beat Costa 5/6 Coral/Blue Sq Similarly, Massa is a qualifier in a bit of form. Took out home player Saretta in the first round, 6-3 6-1. Costa only came through against Oscar Hernandez due to retirement of Hernandez, when the match was 1 set all and 4-4. Costa's clay court ability is unquestionable, but he is not getting any younger and lost his only clay court match this year to Juan Monaco in straight sets, which is not an achievement to be proud of. Massa has already won a clay court Challenger this season.

Re: Tennis thread.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Coria to beat Srichaphan widely available at around 1.50 at most places. Srichaphan was horrendous in his first round match when he beat Andreev 7-6, 1-6, 7-5 squandering at least 20 break points along the way. He simply isn't in Coria's class and anything above 1.30 has got to be value here IMO. Get on it quick though, most books stop taking bets for that match in under half an hour (pencilled in for a 1130GMT start). In addition, I'll throw in Schalken to make a nice double here as I think Pavel is just past it - age is obviously catching up with him and with the home crowd backing Schalken to boot, I just can't see Pavel winning this. 4 pts Schalken-Coria double (2.50 @ William Hill) 10 pts Coria to beat Srichaphan (1.50 @ William Hill) Cheers & Good Luck! :ok
Srichaphan beat Coria 2-6, 6-7, 6-3. :( Unbelievable the kind of rubbish Coria served up in the second and third sets - such a far cry from the way he flew off the traps in the first!

Re: Tennis thread. I fancy Rochus to beat Ancic, actually. Rochus has surprised everyone with the way he has started the year and containing the inconsistent Ancic shouldn't be too much hassle. Ancic's just too inconsistent to be worth a shout in matches like these where he's unjustifiably the favourite considering he's well capable of beating Henman on his day and losing to Starkhovsky on another day. Although the head-to-head between the pair is 1-1, Rochus has won the only meeting between them on hardcourts by beating Ancic in straight sets at last year's US Open. 8 pts O Rochus to bt M Ancic @ 2.25

Re: Tennis thread. OK. I actually fancy Ancic to win this one, after coming through a tough first round opponent. Although as you pointed out, he can be hot and cold in matches so I suppose the value is in Rochus who has been consistently playing well. Henman should win...simple as that, not too much to say. I fancy also Mello to beat Vassallo, but have not looked at H2H's yet, or if there is any other info I should know about. Sco

Re: Tennis thread. You're a bit late Sco. Ancic beat Dent earlier on today, and Mello has won 6-3 1-0 (Vassallo Arguello retired). Sa collapsed after winning the first set 6-3 ( was 5-0 up),losing 3-6 0-6. Shame that the match was moved from last night because of rain. Gave Luczak valuable extra recovery time from his last match, which by all accounts, he desperately needed.

Re: Tennis thread. Sco, 6-4 6-3 would be void as when the 'cap is applied the scores would be equal. The problem with this bet is that it comes down a lot to who serves first and i.e. who wins the toss - you cannot legislate for this and thus how will you find the value?:\ Anyway, as always it depends on what price you get but Ancic was pretty strong on the big points against Tim yesterday and I'd probably make Ancic +5 a decent favourite over Federer -5. Anything over 1.7 worth a go I'd say.:ok