Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th

staffy

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th Wonder if Southampton will continue to attack as they have done, they carved United and City open at times but were undone by crap defending and tbh I think Adkins blinked with his subs and tactics in the United game and allowed them back in when he should have went for the jugular. Has the potential to be a bit scrappy this one I think, especially after an international break. Think we'l win but may not cover a 2 goal handicap, might be value in Southampton on a + depending on the line.

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th I don't believe there are any concerns for Arsenal win. Southampton might be an attacking team but this Arsenal team have the best defence in years i believe... I expect strong display from the gunners, and a comfortable win.

It's interesting here. The bookmakers seem split on both to score, which I quite fancy here. Ranging from 1.66 to 1.85. StanJames have it @ 1.8, which appeals to me. Although arsenal haven't conceded so far this season, I think this is more down to circumstance rather than possessing rock solid defenders. Southampton have been impressive going forward so far, and have only been done over by poor defending. I would imagine Southampton will hand a debut to winger gaston Ramirez? That will give them a boost no doubt, but I don't know if he's available. Added to the recent international call up of llalana, confidence must be high. Considering they will probably pose more of a threat going forward than stoke or Sunderland did... Maybe even Liverpool too? I am considering a cheeky punt on Southampton, which is around 10 on betfair. I just think that recent results could end up lulling punters into a false sense of security regarding arsenal's defence, and Southampton will attack them. They were only twenty odd minutes away from beating city and united, and I think surprised a few. You can also get Southampton +1.5 @ 1.8, which I think offers good value as I think the chances of Southampton losing by more than one are not as great as the odds suggest. Arsenal just aren't that far apart.

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th

It's interesting here. The bookmakers seem split on both to score' date=' which I quite fancy here. Ranging from 1.66 to 1.85. StanJames have it @ 1.8, which appeals to me. Although arsenal haven't conceded so far this season, I think this is more down to circumstance rather than possessing rock solid defenders. Southampton have been impressive going forward so far, and have only been done over by poor defending. I would imagine Southampton will hand a debut to winger gaston Ramirez? That will give them a boost no doubt, but I don't know if he's available. Added to the recent international call up of llalana, confidence must be high. Considering they will probably pose more of a threat going forward than stoke or Sunderland did... Maybe even Liverpool too? I am considering a cheeky punt on Southampton, which is around 10 on betfair. I just think that recent results could end up lulling punters into a false sense of security regarding arsenal's defence, and Southampton will attack them. They were only twenty odd minutes away from beating city and united, and I think surprised a few. You can also get Southampton +1.5 @ 1.8, which I think offers good value as I think the chances of Southampton losing by more than one are not as great as the odds suggest. Arsenal just aren't that far apart.[/quote'] Arsenal and Southampton are worlds apart Jase. I also don't understand how Arsenal have kept 3 clean sheets due to circumstance, Stoke are a very tough side away from home, Sunderland banged in 2 at Swansea and Sunderland didn't get a sniff at the Emirates, and although Liverpool are not the side they were, Anfield is still a very tough place to go to. Southampton played well in their 3 games, but conceding 8 goals in 3 games, they are poor at the back. They were very good against City and United in fairness, but they still couldn't muster up a draw from the United game after being by far the better team, Wigan beat them 2-0 in their home pitch too, and it's hard to envisage anything but an Arsenal win, especially now that Carzola and Podolski have got off the mark, and the defence looks rock solid.

Because stoke offered very little going forward at that time. As did Sunderland. Since then both have rectified their own individual offensive deficiencies. I backed liverpool because I thought Suarez and co would come good. I was wrong. Liverpool are obviously much worse going forward than previous years. Especially now they lack kuyt's energy. Aidy, you're also conveniently forgetting Sunderland signed Steven fletcher and Adam Johnson since the arsenal game, and fletcher subsequently scored both goals against Swansea. All I'm saying is that arsenal still have the same defence as they've always had, and I don't believe they can have improved dramatically in that space of time, just like that. I think Southampton will provide probably the sternest test to their defence this season. Now the news diaby may be out is pretty important IMO, as he's been impressive so far. And I don't believe they are worlds apart when you talk about two teams of eleven footballers.

Because stoke offered very little going forward at that time. As did Sunderland. Since then both have rectified their own individual offensive deficiencies. I backed liverpool because I thought Suarez and co would come good. I was wrong. Liverpool are obviously much worse going forward than previous years. Especially now they lack kuyt's energy. Aidy, you're also conveniently forgetting Sunderland signed Steven fletcher and Adam Johnson since the arsenal game, and fletcher subsequently scored both goals against Swansea. All I'm saying is that arsenal still have the same defence as they've always had, and I don't believe they can have improved dramatically in that space of time, just like that. I think Southampton will provide probably the sternest test to their defence this season. Now the news diaby may be out is pretty important IMO, as he's been impressive so far. And I don't believe they are worlds apart when you talk about two teams of eleven footballers.
Well Arsenal are regulars in the champions league Jase, always finish in the top 4 of the premier league. Southampton just came up from the Championship and will do very well to stay up. So in footballing terms, they are worlds apart i reckon. Southampton offered zilch going forward at home to Wigan, they had a right go against City and United, but both City and United's defence has been brutal so far this season. A weak defence doesn't keep 3 clean sheets in a row, especially in the premier league. I think Arsenal deserve some credit with the way they have defended this season so far, and i think their defence has improved dramatically, Mertesacker was going to need time to settle in and him and Vermaelen are a formidable pair in my opinion. I agree, that Southampton will probably give it a right go, they have nothing to lose, but i find it very hard to envisage Southampton even getting a draw.

.....and I don't believe they are worlds apart when you talk about two teams of eleven footballers.
How can you get away with this dross......seriously..... I believe Saints are very unfortunate to be bottom of the league considering how well they've played thus far (bar Wigan game when they very poor) but to put them in the same bracket as Arsenal is just embarrassing....

How can you get away with this dross......seriously....
well you'll always find a thousand million punters willing to back an arsenal, or a united, or a man city every week. Thing is they can't win every game mate :) and I don't want to labour any points further as people seem to take it quite personal when you oppose them... I think you should offer some opinions to the forum on this game rather than the above.. Then we can have some balance to the argument, and it keeps things less antagonistic ;)

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th Off the cuff this looks like 3 points for the Gunners here. Agree with Jase that Diaby will be important to the balance of this side and if he's out so am I (from betting on the game that is ;)). Anyway, reason is Sunderland and Stoke play physical, defensively tight and rigid sort of football - they are like "rocks" Saints are happy to play football and pass it around as seen against the Manchester clubs. They are open - like "paper" Arsenal like playing open passing teams at the Emirates because it makes it easier to cut through them - like "scissors" Remember: No Diaby No Bet

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th Diaby has already been ruled out........... Wenger on Diaby, "He is in a position where we can certainly play him, but don't wish to take that risk considering his history." A precautionary measure really. So I'd expect Ramsey to fill in for him alongside Arteta and Cazorla. Szczesny will come back in for Mannone, defence should stay unchanged even though Koscielny is fit again, the two lads Vermaelen and Mertesacker have played well in the centre so no need to change it.

well you'll always find a thousand million punters willing to back an arsenal' date=' or a united, or a man city every week. Thing is they can't win every game mate :) and I don't want to labour any points further as people seem to take it quite personal when you oppose them... I think you should offer some opinions to the forum on this game rather than the above.. Then we can have some balance to the argument, and it keeps things less antagonistic ;)[/quote'] I agree sometimes there is no value in taking the big sides to win, at home particularly you'll find they are very short prices in what doesn't appear to be a straightforward game. Just think saying Saints are on par with Arsenal is ridiculous, Arsenal have consistently finished in top 4 of the prem for like the last 15 seasons (with some titles along the way, albeit not for a while now) whereas Southampton were playing in league one 2 seasons ago, where they got promoted as runners up in what was a pretty poor standard league to be honest. Ultimately though i respect everyone on here that takes the time to write in-depth write-ups about matches so can't grumble really when you are taking the time week in week out to do this.....just had to share my opinion.

I agree sometimes there is no value in taking the big sides to win, at home particularly you'll find they are very short prices in what doesn't appear to be a straightforward game. Just think saying Saints are on par with Arsenal is ridiculous, Arsenal have consistently finished in top 4 of the prem for like the last 15 seasons (with some titles along the way, albeit not for a while now) whereas Southampton were playing in league one 2 seasons ago, where they got promoted as runners up in what was a pretty poor standard league to be honest. Ultimately though i respect everyone on here that takes the time to write in-depth write-ups about matches so can't grumble really when you are taking the time week in week out to do this.....just had to share my opinion.
I agree, that Southampton will probably give it a right go, they have nothing to lose, but i find it very hard to envisage Southampton even getting a draw.
It really is the odds alone that can justify a bet. Of course no pundit, punter or mug can ever say they can imagine the likes of Southampton even getting a point at the Emirates. That is why you're being offered much better odds because its not difficult to see or feel that Arsenal are likely to get the win here, hence making it difficult to imagine Southampton getting anything from the game. However when you're being offered much better odds on the away side (some 30 times more profit for a bet of the same stake), that is when you question if you should back them.

It really is the odds alone that can justify a bet. Of course no pundit' date=' punter or mug can ever say they can imagine the likes of Southampton even getting a point at the Emirates. That is why you're being offered much better odds because its not difficult to see or feel that Arsenal are [i']likely to get the win here, hence making it difficult to imagine Southampton getting anything from the game. However when you're being offered much better odds on the away side (some 30 times more profit for a bet of the same stake), that is when you question if you should back them.
100% correct mate. I am a value-hunter myself, that is why i have had such a good year with the horses and on the golf. The one thing i have yet to get my head round is the football, it will take me a while to get the hang of it, and at the moment i find it hard to make money from the sport, so that is why i am trying to integrate on the football part of the forum more often, as i think you learn from other people, and their are some very good punters here in this section.

100% correct mate. I am a value-hunter myself, that is why i have had such a good year with the horses and on the golf. The one thing i have yet to get my head round is the football, it will take me a while to get the hang of it, and at the moment i find it hard to make money from the sport, so that is why i am trying to integrate on the football part of the forum more often, as i think you learn from other people, and their are some very good punters here in this section.
Haha, football should be a breeze for you if you know your horses. I can never get my head around them. I know similarly you base it on form, breed of horse and bloodlines and stuff like that but I just don't know how to rate/judge the horses. On the football pitch is easy. If someone is playing well/bad its easy to tell, as well as all the player/manager transfers and form.

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th I see this as nothing other than a comfortably Arsenal win. Arsenal even though, they didn't score in their first couple of games, still played well in those games and made plenty of chances for themselves. They finally came good against Liverpool but I expect them to build on that win and go form strength to strength. The only downside could possibly be Giroud. He has yet to find the back of the net and I do believe he got booed by French fans while on International Duty so his confidence may be low. Depending on what type of player he is, he will either carry on playing with no confidence or try and prove the doubters wrong. I hope its the latter! Saying that, Arsenal still have plenty of forward players and even though Diaby is 50-50 for the game, I still believe they should have enough to beat Southampton. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints came to the Emirates with an attacking attitude. Ramirez their record signing is in contention for a game and he will lift the players. There has to be a doubt over him settling in the league and how long this process will take. Sunderland came to the Emirates to try and stop Arsenal from scoring. I reckon Southampton will go there trying to score goals which could play into Arsenal's hands. They have so much pace on the counter. I am hoping for an early Arsenal goal which could open the floodgates. I wouldn't be confident of another clean sheet but I fancy there could be a few goals in the game. Arsenal to start this one quickly and get off to an early lead. Bets Arsenal HT-FT 5pts @ 10/11 SkyBet

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th Arsenal v Southampton 6pts Arsenal/Arsenal Half time/Full Time @ 1.9 Paddypower At the start of the season Arsenal looked very cautious, new players settling in and a few injuries. Now that players are starting to find there feet and after last weeks performance against Liverpool, I think this Arsenal team will be feeling alot more confident here and seeing Man u and City only just beating Southampton they won't be underestimated by Wenger. I can see Arsenal knocking in a few goals here. 1pt Cazorla to score 1st @ 7 Bet365 This lads slotted right in for Arsenal and been unlucky not to of bagged a few already, and at these odds i reckon hes definitely worth a bet.

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th Over 3.5 @ 2.57 pinnacle Arsenal have yet to concede so far but believe that they will here as they rode their luck against Liverpool. Soton on the other hand, have been scoring as well as conceding goals, with 3-2 losses to both Manchester sides while did also lose 2-0 at home to Wigan. They like to play the style of football like Arsenal does, so can see this being an open game. Without Diaby to screen the Arsenal back four, then like Soton to get in behind them. On the other hand, Cazorla has been very good for them, and like him to dominate the middle, and create chances for Podolski once again, while Giroud has had his chances and it is a matter of time that he finds the net. With both teams being more attack minded, then there is a good chance that this game will feature goals in it

Re: Arsenal v Southampton > September 15th I think it's a potentially good bet mate as Ricky Lambert is the type of striker who has given us troubles in the past - see Grant Holt at the Emirates last season. Our shape looks alot better right now but we'll see long-term how that pans out. But we certainly did not ride our luck at Liverpool..........:lol.....Liverpool had a half-effort from Sterling that was never going in, he was marked out by Jenkinson, Suarez was marked out by Mertesacker and Vermaelen. Liverpool had no real clear chances.

Southampton + 5 Asian corner handicap @ 1.92 - BET365. I can't see arsenal beating this sort of handicap here because I think there will be goals, and that Southampton will offer enough going forward to win their fare share of corners. I also think that they're not the sort of side that are likely to hold on to a lead if they go one up. Southampton won three and four corners against city and united respectively.

Southampton + 5 Asian corner handicap @ 1.92 - BET365. I can't see arsenal beating this sort of handicap here because I think there will be goals, and that Southampton will offer enough going forward to win their fare share of corners. I also think that they're not the sort of side that are likely to hold on to a lead if they go one up. Southampton won three and four corners against city and united respectively.
Corners 8 - 3. Bet voided! Should have just backed both to score and kept my mouth shut! Well done all arsenal backers, especially Blackcrow!

Arsenal v Southampton 6pts Arsenal/Arsenal Half time/Full Time @ 1.9 Paddypower At the start of the season Arsenal looked very cautious, new players settling in and a few injuries. Now that players are starting to find there feet and after last weeks performance against Liverpool, I think this Arsenal team will be feeling alot more confident here and seeing Man u and City only just beating Southampton they won't be underestimated by Wenger. I can see Arsenal knocking in a few goals here. 1pt Cazorla to score 1st @ 7 Bet365 This lads slotted right in for Arsenal and been unlucky not to of bagged a few already, and at these odds i reckon hes definitely worth a bet.
1 won 1 lost Betting Record 2012: 3-6 (-14.60)