Problem with odds with e/w, rule4, and Dead Heat

Hi guys, I'm currently writing an application for windows phones that calculates the returns on bets. I have a problem thugh, I can't get a result I can trust for a given situation, if anyone could help me out I would be very grateful. I need to know how a return is calculated for the following scenario: horse with odds 1:1 is staked £2 each way. at 1/4 place odds The horse is dead heat (2) with rule4 at 10p. my calculation : win return + place return where : returns = (((stake/Dead Heat Place)*odds)*((100-Rule4 deduction)/100)+(stake/Dead Heat Place)) which gives (for the example) win return =(((2/2)*1)*((100-10)/100)+(2/2))) = 1.9 and place return = ((((2/4)/2)*1)*((100-10)/100)+((2/2))) = 1.225 For a total return of 3.125 However this differs from the online betting calculators that see this scenario as a 4.35 return. can anyone see where I am going wrong, or indeed if I'm going wrong, or if indeed this scenario cannot exist.

Re: Problem with odds with e/w, rule4, and Dead Heat

Hi guys, I'm currently writing an application for windows phones that calculates the returns on bets. I have a problem thugh, I can't get a result I can trust for a given situation, if anyone could help me out I would be very grateful. I need to know how a return is calculated for the following scenario: horse with odds 1:1 is staked £2 each way. at 1/4 place odds The horse is dead heat (2) with rule4 at 10p. my calculation : win return + place return where : returns = (((stake/Dead Heat Place)*odds)*((100-Rule4 deduction)/100)+(stake/Dead Heat Place)) which gives (for the example) win return =(((2/2)*1)*((100-10)/100)+(2/2))) = 1.9 and place return = ((((2/4)/2)*1)*((100-10)/100)+((2/2))) = 1.225 For a total return of 3.125 However this differs from the online betting calculators that see this scenario as a 4.35 return. can anyone see where I am going wrong, or indeed if I'm going wrong, or if indeed this scenario cannot exist.
Hi Krippers - what you are doing wrong is halfing your stake for the place part of your bet. If your horse dead heats for 1st place then you are still entitled to your full stake on the place part of the bet. Personally, on my spreadsheet, I calculate any R4 deductions manually!! Not that you will catch me betting EW.... Very often! :D

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.