What's your favourite horse(s) in training?

Everyone's got one or two. They dont have to be the horse which has won you the most money (mine certainly aren't) they're just the horses which for whatever reason over the years you have developed a soft spot for. I've got 2 who l absolutely love. Lough Derg and General Tufto. Lough Derg is the horse who probably got me into racing seriously. His attitude in a finish is second to none and the way he battled back in the long walk hurdle at Ascot 2 or 3 years ago absolutely melted me. He's just got the heart of a lion and you always know who ever beats him is going to be in a hard race. Even Big Bucks had to be niggled along briefly in the fog at Ascot last year if I remember correctly. General Tufto is just one of those good old sticks that is certainly never going to be anythin better than what he is now. He wins when he's dropped to a mark in the mid 80's and not a minute before. Loves it round Southwell and often runs like a drain when he's carrying a couple of pounds above what he wins off but as soon as he's dropped to the correct mark he often pings in at a huge price. No airs or graces about him and it's almost like he's saying to everyone "no, no, no im NOT gonna run a good race until you get this extra 2lb off my back"

Re: What's your favourite horse(s) in training? You can probably guess... Jumpers always have more affection in my heart. Lough Derg is an obvious horse whose love is widespread really. Monet's Garden also. I just love Time For Rupert's attitude, having followed most of his career so far. Even in novice and handicap hurdles I loved him, so to have a genuine chance at a Gold Cup has been a great adventure to follow as a supporter of his. I think the fact Paul Webber isn't the most fashionable trainer (for all he does have some decent horses) and Will Kennedy in a similar position as jockey adds to the romance. He's just game, jumps well, and is honest. That's what you want to see in a horse. To see him put in plenty of quality in his races is another bonus and I'll be gutted when his career comes to an end. For me, there are flat horses I do like, but to put a rather sombre tone to the matter, I'd move on fairly quickly if they suffered a fatal injury. Touch wood it won't happen to Rupert, but I'd be genuinely saddened should he come to such fate. I can't even imagine what it's like for owners - moreso if they only have one 'stable star' as it were.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.