Maximum exposure to loss

pg_yid

I use a staking plan so that I never bet any more than 10% of my bank on any one bet, as is commonly done. However, I have recently found that with a lot of football matches being played simultaneously (e.g. in Euro/World Cup qualifiers) there are a number of different bets which I like, and I'm not sure how much of my bank I should be betting at once on a variety of bets. I worry that through some fluke all the bets lose, and a great deal of my bank will be wiped out at once. Obviously, if the games had been on different days I would be using different sized stakes in keeping with the losses already accrued, so the effect would not be nearly as pronounced. So I've been trying to keep it down so that I am not betting more than 20% of my entire bank at once, on any number of bets. On the plus side this limits my exposure, but in practice it has limited the amount I would have won. Does anyone else have this problem and what rules do you use to help you balance out these positives/negatives? 20% is just a figure I made up from nowhere so I would be interested to know what other bettors did. Cheers.

Re: Maximum exposure to loss I don't really find myself in this situation often, as my style is more ploughing in to the one or two I really like, but I think an important thing is to stay disciplined, like you are doing, and not break your rules regarding how much of your bank is being used. It's annoying to miss out on extra profit, but the moment you start trying to overachieve is when you'll probably start coming unstuck. Having the discipline to except missing out on ''opportunities'' is crucial.

Re: Maximum exposure to loss Here's what I do. Bet max 5% of my bank on a single bet and where the stake can vary from 1 to 5 depending how confident on a bet I am. Rarely go (5/5) as only death is certain! I've learned the hard way that taking too many bets will not make you great profits so limited myself on max three bets daily, and four bets Sat/Sun (thinking to go with five as the season is getting shape) for a minimum exposure to loss. Daily strike rate cant be worse if I take what I think are the best four bets of ten that I like. Betting 20% of a bank on a bet can make your bank dissapear very quickly and I've somewhere read that pro's are only staking max 2% of their banks which shouldn't be under 30k. Know you've had a nice run the last few days and heres my congrats :clap:clap but don't be fooled with that. Good luck with your betting

Re: Maximum exposure to loss

I use a staking plan so that I never bet any more than 10% of my bank on any one bet, as is commonly done. However, I have recently found that with a lot of football matches being played simultaneously (e.g. in Euro/World Cup qualifiers) there are a number of different bets which I like, and I'm not sure how much of my bank I should be betting at once on a variety of bets. I worry that through some fluke all the bets lose, and a great deal of my bank will be wiped out at once. Obviously, if the games had been on different days I would be using different sized stakes in keeping with the losses already accrued, so the effect would not be nearly as pronounced. So I've been trying to keep it down so that I am not betting more than 20% of my entire bank at once, on any number of bets. On the plus side this limits my exposure, but in practice it has limited the amount I would have won. Does anyone else have this problem and what rules do you use to help you balance out these positives/negatives? 20% is just a figure I made up from nowhere so I would be interested to know what other bettors did. Cheers.
If,as you say, you are worried that by some fluke all your bets will lose just do a small acca on that very eventualilty.

Here's what I do. Bet max 5% of my bank on a single bet and where the stake can vary from 1 to 5 depending how confident on a bet I am. Rarely go (5/5) as only death is certain! I've learned the hard way that taking too many bets will not make you great profits so limited myself on max three bets daily, and four bets Sat/Sun (thinking to go with five as the season is getting shape) for a minimum exposure to loss. Daily strike rate cant be worse if I take what I think are the best four bets of ten that I like. Betting 20% of a bank on a bet can make your bank dissapear very quickly and I've somewhere read that pro's are only staking max 2% of their banks which shouldn't be under 30k. Know you've had a nice run the last few days and heres my congrats :clap:clap but don't be fooled with that. Good luck with your betting
Interesting, I do the same but on the basis of 1 to 10. I think some bets, where you are convinced by the value in it, warrant staking 10% of your bank, but never more. Most of the time in practice I am staking 3% or 4% on each bet. I find the problem with limiting yourself to 3 or 4 bets each day is this: some days I can't find any value bets, some days I find loads. It is natural to want to bet every day, or at least every few days, and it is natural to want to limit your bets (out of caution) when there are a lot of opportunities. But in the interests of following value, this is where you need your discipline. It's important to make sure you're not betting on something simply because it's the best bet available on that day...you must also be convinced that it is a value bet, or at least have a strong guess that it is value. Equally, if there are lots of good opportunities on one day, then it would be missing out only to take 3 or 4 of them.

If' date='as you say, you are worried that by some fluke all your bets will lose just do a small acca on that very eventualilty.[/quote'] I thought of that, but long term it would eat into your profits, and obviously it would be (in my view) terrible value. I don't think it can be profitable to bet poor value accas frequently, even as a cover. Maybe this could work for the odd day on which you have loads of bets though.

Here's what I do. Bet max 5% of my bank on a single bet and where the stake can vary from 1 to 5 depending how confident on a bet I am. Rarely go (5/5) as only death is certain! I've learned the hard way that taking too many bets will not make you great profits so limited myself on max three bets daily, and four bets Sat/Sun (thinking to go with five as the season is getting shape) for a minimum exposure to loss. Daily strike rate cant be worse if I take what I think are the best four bets of ten that I like. Betting 20% of a bank on a bet can make your bank dissapear very quickly and I've somewhere read that pro's are only staking max 2% of their banks which shouldn't be under 30k. Know you've had a nice run the last few days and heres my congrats :clap:clap but don't be fooled with that. Good luck with your betting
hi,I dont suppose you remember whether,in the same article,it mentioned anything else of interest concerning pro soccer bettors? I ask because Ive always wondered how much money a true pro expects to make from betting on soccer? As far as I know there are actually very,very few people whose main income comes from betting football. I wonder if any PL member would care to say how much they make from the game-perhaps not?

hi,I dont suppose you remember whether,in the same article,it mentioned anything else of interest concerning pro soccer bettors? I ask because Ive always wondered how much money a true pro expects to make from betting on soccer? As far as I know there are actually very,very few people whose main income comes from betting football. I wonder if any PL member would care to say how much they make from the game-perhaps not?
I imagine it depends, some probably earn only just enough to live on, whereas others will earn £100,000+ per year. I think you're right though, it's very few people. I read that only 1% of football bettors make any profit, so the amount who make a living from it is very small indeed. Although I also read that there are more professional gamblers now than in the days before the Internet, because now punters have access to the same stats as the bookies, amongst other possible reasons. If you use the search engine I'm sure you'll find some threads on this issue, also check out the Betfair forum as people talk about it on there quite a lot as well.

Re: Maximum exposure to loss thanks,I would be very surprised if anyone makes £100,000 a year betting on soccer results/goalines/correct scores. Even making this amount by trading would be difficult.. (Tony Ansell famously made £1,000,000 in 4 years from scottish football BUT he had a lot of contacts and,also the bookies made some rather naive mistakes a few years ago eg not realising that the home advantage was negligible in scottish division 3 games!)