How long did it take you to...........

Silversurfer879

I was just curious when you first started out, how long did it take you to be able to either memorize or calculate pot/hand odds as well as be able to recognize how many outs you had on a given hand in your head as the game was being played? Do you have any suggestions, or secrets as to how to memorize pot/hand odds at a given point in a game......I am starting to get the concept a little but still struggle. To me, knowing the odds on each hand seems to be the best tool a player can have at his disposal....especially when it comes to making a decision. But I am having trouble being able to calculate things quick enough t use to my advantage. Any advice? I thought about making flash cards or something...for all the starting hands.....with preflop %'s to make certain hands...as well as a post flop set with %'s to make a hand on the turn and river. I figured if I kept going over and over the flash cards, I would memorize them by repetition. Reply With Quote

Re: How long did it take you to...........

I was just curious when you first started out, how long did it take you to be able to either memorize or calculate pot/hand odds as well as be able to recognize how many outs you had on a given hand in your head as the game was being played? Do you have any suggestions, or secrets as to how to memorize pot/hand odds at a given point in a game......I am starting to get the concept a little but still struggle. To me, knowing the odds on each hand seems to be the best tool a player can have at his disposal....especially when it comes to making a decision. But I am having trouble being able to calculate things quick enough t use to my advantage. Any advice? I thought about making flash cards or something...for all the starting hands.....with preflop %'s to make certain hands...as well as a post flop set with %'s to make a hand on the turn and river. I figured if I kept going over and over the flash cards, I would memorize them by repetition. Reply With Quote
Download PokerStove onto your desktop (it's free) and play around with it. I like the flash card idea. If you have young children you could get them to switch off CBeebies and join in Daddy's guessing game.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: How long did it take you to........... Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book" has some good info. that I think you'd benefit from. This book is a well-written, easy read & is the book I'd suggest for all to read. The section on odds & outs, (pot odds, implied odds & bet-sizing, etc.) is all great stuff for a newer player. Pretty sure he also talks about the 2-4 rule in there. To calculate the odds of making your hand > on the flop, multiply the # of outs x4, & on the turn x2. ie. Let's say you have a flush draw with 9outs to make your hand (assuming these are 'clean' outs), you'll be roughly 36% on the flop & 18% on the turn. (this is just a really basic explanation/example). I've never met anyone who was disappointed with reading the 'Little Green Book'. (I actually bought 4 copies of it & gifted them to friends who were just starting out playing NLHE... although some others who've played for yrs. could benefit from it as well).

• 4 weeks later...

Re: How long did it take you to........... I am not sure you need to memorise them exactly; rough calculation will do. I think it is better to learn to the flop and know your outs and the potential of the hand by the river and to read your opponents well .. a well timed raise with air can sometimes take down the pot with complete air - also you can stick a chart or a pot odds calculator on your desktop .. if you really need the info. Then you remember them as you go along ... think it is approx 7/1 your suited cards will hit a flush draw on the flop .. i.e two of your suit. .. that's from memory

• 1 month later...

Re: How long did it take you to........... i only really remember the really basic ones, such as 7/1 to flop a set or 20% to hit a flush card on a street. but in reality you dont really calculate these things in game, and you stick with your instinct if you can call or not etc. as said its always good to have pokerstoke to review hands in really tight spots, but currently i dont think my poker is "fine" enough to get an extra edge using cauclations on pokerstove, since there are still wide areas that i can improve in my game. currently im about break even playing 10nl and 20nl.

Re: How long did it take you to...........

I work mainly on instinct but have a rough idea of the pot odds but nothing accurate. I do use HoldemIndicator though if I am unsure.