Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ...

Hello as my topic states i'm a newbie who is in desperate need of some guidance with betting. My main focus is football/soccer as I consider myself to have a decent knowledge of the game yet it's funny how gambling can make you question just how much you really know. The problem is I just keep going for the big money real fast, every week i will place say a £50 stake on one or two games that i'm pretty confident about and often they will come in, the problem is i keep going, to the point i'm sometimes putting £200 stakes down to try and win into the thousands. I would love to set myself a limit of say £10 a week but that just doesn't seem possible, at the moment i'm betting on anything and everything even pre season friendlies. Any help in how to set out a plan so that I don't keep losing so much. In 6 months I have staked £2,500 in total and won only £1,750.

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ...

My main focus is football/soccer as I consider myself to have a decent knowledge of the game yet it's funny how gambling can make you question just how much you really know.
This is the thing that trips up, probably everyone, at the start. They think it's that easy. I think when you get to that point there's two types of gamblers: the one's that become wise to how difficult it is, and the ones that don't, and develop a serious problem.
I'd love to set myself a limit of say £10 a week but that just doesn't seem possible, at the moment i'm betting on anything and everything even pre season friendlies.
Yeah, maybe you're not conveying things properly, but that's the kind of thing that someone that has a problem says.
Any help in how to set out a plan so that I don't keep losing so much. In 6 months I have staked £2,500 in total and won only £1,750.
I'd go a week from now without a bet to start with. If you can't do that, I would strongly suggest you have a chat with Gamcare, as it would be likely you're developing a problem. If you can go a week without it, I'd recommend paper trailing your bets to begin with. What that means is you go through the usual motions of a bet, but just note it, and don't place it. That way you can see what works and what doesn't, and you don't have to lose any cash. It can take years, I believe, for some people to find what works and what doesn't, so you were never gonna figure it out in six months. Stick around this site too, as there's some knowledgable and talented folks around, that should help you a lot. I actually have a brother that managed to get himself, he estimated, about £50,000 down due to his addiction, so I know what I'm talking about with that side of it. It may sound like I'm being dramatic, but trust me, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... hi m8, if you continue this way of betting you will never get to a point of a winning bettor. First thing is discipline, discipline and discipline - write down on papaer you are not betting more than say 10/bet a day - put that piece of paper besides your laptop so that you can see it all the time. if you have knowledge about football/soccer than make a decision: do i play 1x2 games (myself lost a lot of these games by late and very late goals), asian handicap or just goals. currently i am working on a strategy with a staking plan on "0ver 2,5 goals" only - this is the market i will concentrate on - here it doesn`t matter which team wins or loses - they jst have to score goals you need to improve your betting strategy - don`t bet just for the sake of it - sit down and write down what your goals are - an effective staking plan with the correct selections can bring you where you want to go - this will take time and again discipline search for bookies offering bonusses when signing up and have a look around inside this forum about matched betting = free bets if handled correctly there are a lot of ways getting into the betting business - if you need more info let me know - when you are up to 50 posts you can also use the private messages - if you want to get additional information let me know - my icq number is 621720366 - moderators should cancel this if it is against the forum rules.:ok

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... Your bets seem erratic. Stick to one particular league, or league's you are most confident in. Even just stick to one particular market. i.e. Asian Handicaps, or over/under goals market. Think of it as similar to any kind of investment scheme. Every scheme that you intend to make money from requires first to have some form of business plan, right ;)

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... Having some kind of strategy is a must if you want to be succesful on long term. The key to long term sucess is discipline. Define a bankroll at the begining of the month/year/season and stake max 5% of it on any bet. Bet singles only and stay calm after every bet. Analyse your bet before placing it and avoid outside influences. It's very important to keep a record of all of your bets and analyse it from time to time, learn from your own mistakes and experiences. Bet only if you think odds are in your favour, not for the sake of it. Having discipline is the most important thing and it's not that easy as it may sound. Always stick to your strategy however things are going :ok

Having some kind of strategy is a must if you want to be succesful on long term. The key to long term sucess is discipline. Define a bankroll at the begining of the month/year/season and stake max 5% of it on any bet. Bet singles only and stay calm after every bet. Analyse your bet before placing it and avoid outside influences. It's very important to keep a record of all of your bets and analyse it from time to time, learn from your own mistakes and experiences. Bet only if you think odds are in your favour, not for the sake of it. Having discipline is the most important thing and it's not that easy as it may sound. Always stick to your strategy however things are going :ok
Sound advice and a good post. :ok

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... Thanks for all your advice so far, some very good tips here. Lost another £50 so not in the best of moods, very strange feeling I must say, but great when I win. Keeping track of what I do and having some sort of strategy in place seems a must. I just can't get over how many times a injury time goal has let me down in the last seconds! I've also learnt to never bet on my own team as they always let you down. Thing is on my first accumulator I put a tenner on a 30/1 and it came in, got the bug straight away. But yeh I musn't let this develop into a problem and when it's making me feel bad it can't be good.

Hello as my topic states i'm a newbie who is in desperate need of some guidance with betting. My main focus is football/soccer as I consider myself to have a decent knowledge of the game yet it's funny how gambling can make you question just how much you really know. The problem is I just keep going for the big money real fast, every week i will place say a £50 stake on one or two games that i'm pretty confident about and often they will come in, the problem is i keep going, to the point i'm sometimes putting £200 stakes down to try and win into the thousands. I would love to set myself a limit of say £10 a week but that just doesn't seem possible, at the moment i'm betting on anything and everything even pre season friendlies. Any help in how to set out a plan so that I don't keep losing so much. In 6 months I have staked £2,500 in total and won only £1,750.
Gday player Mate, I think you need professional help.

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... Magoo is right. In my experience your at a very serious position with your gambling and certainly not in any frame of mind to take on board ways of improving it. Get professional help as soon as possible, its the only way forward. I hope things work out for you. :ok

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... I wouldn't want to give it up as I do enjoy the buzz of it, love watching sport anyway but now find it hard to watch without having a flutter. Thing is we all have our vices, I have a mate who spends about £60 a week on ciggies and when he get's on to me about my betting I tell him i'd rather spend it on betting that ciggies, at least betting has potential! But yeh I do need to put a cap on my spending before it get's out of hand although I had a bit of luck the other day. Was watching some random football game inplay the other day and the home team were losing 2-1 with about 10 minutes left anyway William Hill had it at 14-1 for the draw so like a madman I stuck £100 on it and it came in! been in a good mood for the rest of the week.

I wouldn't want to give it up as I do enjoy the buzz of it, love watching sport anyway but now find it hard to watch without having a flutter. Thing is we all have our vices, I have a mate who spends about £60 a week on ciggies and when he get's on to me about my betting I tell him i'd rather spend it on betting that ciggies, at least betting has potential! But yeh I do need to put a cap on my spending before it get's out of hand although I had a bit of luck the other day. Was watching some random football game inplay the other day and the home team were losing 2-1 with about 10 minutes left anyway William Hill had it at 14-1 for the draw so like a madman I stuck £100 on it and it came in! been in a good mood for the rest of the week.
Well you know you can't carry on backing on everything you watch on TV and you are absolutely right. so dont bet like that. You will soon have a very serious problem if you don't watch out. tell yourself this is the worst type of gambling, you should be able to watch any sport you enjoy without placing a bet for interest.if you cant accept this you have a problem , get control again by not betting. instead of backing in every event,save this stake money and wait till you do fancy something. How to not be a mug punter is a different matter, look up some of the topics on Value and that will help you be far more selective with your hard earned cash. good luck and dont ignore the advice you prob wont like hearing.

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... Hmmmmmmm comparing your mates smoking habit to gambling is kind of a way to justify it.So i think if you feel you have to justify it you have a problem and should perhaps ease up if you can.follow advice from earlier threads and try one day at a time without betting,after a week you may fell different. We all watch sport and most on here bet on what we think the outcome will be its just the bigger stakes the bigger the thrill and then the bigger comedown if you lose. If you feel you need to make bets why not stick £20 per week in(think you can limit most accounts)and say bet 50p ,£1 on teams to win ect,I know the thrill is greatly reduced but look at it like you are just trying to get one up on the bookies every week.I would rather win £5 a week every week than lose £50-£100 on random bets. You say you won £1400 on a draw , do yourself a favour and withdraw it quickly before you lose it.Also there are very few who make a living out of gambling its the other 99.9% like us who keep the bookies going. Checked my bet 365 acc a while ago and since Jan i bet £2300 ish and returned £2250 on my footy bets so about £50 down overall which to me is nothing as i had fun on the way. good luck but ease up

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... I think we can all relate to reckless rookies predicament to some extent. The first few months of betting as a hobby is great fun. Once you get the bug you want to bet on as many games or sports as you can with reckless abandon. There is something genuinely gratifying when your predictions come in just as you thought. The research, the forums and of course, the winning all add up to an addictive cocktail which put in the wrong hands can be lethal. I said earlier that all hobby punters probably started that way. What happens after the novelty period can go one of several ways. The hobby punter You realize that gambling isn't as easy as you thought. You study how other people do it, you look at forums, websites, blogs, you read books. Basically anything that will help your knowledge. Despite all this effort after a time you get to a level where it dawns on you that however much you research, however amazing the odds are and however certain you are of an outcome. It sometimes doesn't happen. There might be a time when you think that you can make a proper living from it and there are days when you think your wasting your time. Its at this stage where most people carry on as a hobby. They set aside a certain amount of money and time just like any other interest. They might have 5 bets on day and then nothing for a week, everything is in moderation. Betting like this its about as dangerous as playing bridge at the local residential home. When it does become dangerous leads me onto............... The junkie punter Instead of coming out of the novelty stage with a renewed passion for learning the ropes the reckless bets carry on. The eureka moment of realizing that gambling is hard doesn't materialize. The loses get bigger and unfortunately the wins get bigger too. I say unfortunately because its the big wins which give you false hope that it can be a regular occurrence. How ever much your bank balance is screaming at you, you start chasing your loses because ' my bad luck cant continue like this' etc. The trouble with this stage is it cant be sustained.You run out of money and are unable to feed your addiction, like anybody with an unfed addiction it affects the rest of your life and the people close to you. Its absolutely imperative that people in this stage get out as soon as possible. The money and terms you are spending are worrying. You have staked a massive amount of money and are using terms like 'buzz'. Everybody gets a buzz from winning but if making loads of money and consistently getting a buzz is what your after you need to get out now. At least until you see gambling for what it can and can't do for you. It can be a great hobby with the added bonus of making a bit of money, it also can add a bit of spice to watching sport. What it can't do is make you rich over night and give you the right buzz you crave on a consistent basis. I admire your honesty about your lack of discipline and the money your spending. In my opinion the purpose of this thread is shouldn't how to make you money, it should be how you are going to enjoy your betting without it getting it out of hand. Anyway, sorry to get all melodramatic about it. Just don't want to see anybody get in over their head. Keep us updated. Cheers Giz :ok

I wouldn't want to give it up as I do enjoy the buzz of it' date=' love watching sport anyway but now find it hard to watch without having a flutter. [/quote'] there it is, right there - until you find a way around this, I think you're on the road to potentially serious difficulties. we're all similar here, we all like a punt, we all like the buzz but if you do not have control over yourself and your betting, you WILL get into trouble sooner or later. I'd be concerned to give you any advice other than avoidance at the moment - http://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/

there it is, right there - until you find a way around this, I think you're on the road to potentially serious difficulties. we're all similar here, we all like a punt, we all like the buzz but if you do not have control over yourself and your betting, you WILL get into trouble sooner or later. I'd be concerned to give you any advice other than avoidance at the moment - http://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/
Yeah, in my opinion, any other advice given here is unhelpful, and also dangerous. Sadly, this guy isn't paying the slightest bit of attention to the important comments here, and I think is gonna end up f*cked. Can't say he wasn't warned.

Re: Newbie in desperate need of some strategy tips ... Oh I am paying attention mate, last night I was just betting with very small stakes. Didn't have the same optomistic factor that a potential big win can bring but was fun all the same and far less stressfull. Typically all my bets came in last night, would happen when i'm putting small stakes down haha!