Flat Racing: 7th Jun 2011

5.30 Salisbury Class 5, 12f handicap with 12 runners and I'm particularly sweet on one, albeit at a shortish price. I want to oppose Filun and Danvilla, who despite 1's next to their names, look to have it all to do with conditions not expected to suit. I prefer the other market leader. Phonic (5/1 William Hill BOG) - I can't see this one being out of the mix here so am happy to take the price. 4yo with just 4 races in his short career and more than enough promise has been shown to make this a nice bet. As a 2yo, he did finish 3rd to Wigmore Hall which is impressive enough but that was 2 years ago. Off the track all last year before a very promising reappearance at Newbury a month ago. Finished just under 5L back in 8th in a 15 runner race but that was a solid performance with fitness to prove and with the race not being run to suit. A very steady pace ensued that day and our horse was held up which didn't help. Interestingly, of the 9 horses that pulled clear, 6 were held up and 4 of them have run since with 2 winning and 2 2nd next time out. Phonic stayed on very resolutely in the straight and looked to have a turn of foot which is a nice attribute to have as a middle distance horse. Mark remains unchanged but the extra quarter of a mile can only be seen as an advantage. Comes from a yard very adept with his middle distance animals and I think this one could progress into yet another. Open to any amount of improvement, this lightly raced horse could prove to be very leniently handicapped and is my confident selection.

Re: Flat Racing: 7th Jun 2011 3.00 Redcar 3yo, Class 5 handicap over 7f with 15 doing battle. Despite the big field, I think that many of these can be easily written off and think the 4 or 5 in the betting will fight this out. I'm on one of those. Maggie Mey (13/2 Boylesports BOG) - Loads in this one's favour today. Firstly, she hails from one of the most in form yards at present and is ridden by a jockey boasting an amazing strike rate of 8 winners from his last 12 rides. This horse has 2 wins from 9 career starts and is a capable performer that could prove a bit better than her current mark. Has a win at this track, albeit over a furlong shorter and has some very solid 2yo handicap form from last term in better company than this. The one doubt people are citing is her ability to stay 7f. Quite frankly, I ain't worried as there are excuses for her performances at that distance. On her last start in 2010, finished 8th of 15 but was badly hampered 1f out and would have finished a lot closer, that was in a race 3 grades higher than todays (and off a 2lb higher mark). She needed her seasonal reappearance so again I'll overlook her last 7f run. Was stepped back to 6f lto but was outpaced and then stayed on best of all finishing like a train and that suggested a step back up to 7f was in order. Dropped 2lb for that run and in a grade I firmly believe she can win in. This track suits prominent racers so our selection fits the bill, and the fact all the pace is low is another plus (our charge comes out of box 5). With stable in rude health, jockey in the form of his life, great draw and excellent mark, I feel this one will be bang there at the finish.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.