flat racing 7th may

Re: flat racing 7th may I’m keeping these fairly brief, as have exams all next week. 14:50 Ascot I don’t generally back Mark Johnston horses, not sure why. This is a nice looking handicap, and a few of these may turn out to be useful. I think at present the value lies with Oceanway, and she should be able to improve on her return effort when running poorly at Lingfield. This 3yo has raced four times to date, and improved markedly from her first run. She just ran out of steam on her second start, which was over a mile when beaten a length by Charleston Lady. That horse has gone on this season to finish second in the Listed Pretty Polly stakes, so she isn’t bad yardstick at all. Oceanway got off the mark in fine fashion, routing a 7f maiden at Kempton. The form of that race couldn’t really have worked out much worse, with only one winner coming out of it. That aside, she did beat them by 8 lengths, and was eased down. She could have probably beaten them by a couple more. On that performance, and the form behind Charleston Lady, her current mark of 87 looks pretty fair. She was pitched in the deep-end when last seen, on seasonal reappearance at Lingfield. That was a tough listed race, with the winner, Dubawi Gold, finishing 2nd in the 2000 Guineas. She didn’t acquit herself as well as she probably should have, although she did look a bit in need of the run, and I wouldn’t write her off just yet. This race, although competitive, is at a slightly more reasonable level, and the fact that she was fairly prominent in the market that day (11/2), might show how she’s quite well thought of. The switch to turf shouldn’t be an issue, and Louis-Phillipe Buezelin takes off 3lbs. His only other ride for Mark Johnston this season, he finished 2nd by a nose. His small claim might make a world of difference in this tight race. She receives a hefty weight-allowance, for her being a 3yo. However, it may be that she finds it difficult against her elders, even with this weight-allowance. We will see. Minimum stake stuff, but at a double figure price, I think this one has a decent enough chance. Oceanway; 1pt EW @ 10/1 Bet365 (bog)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.