Flat Racing; Friday 29th April

Leicester 15:15 A quite competitive 6f handicap, and not a race to get too heavily involved with, however, I think that Peter Island has a chance off his current mark of 80, and although he hasn’t won off a mark this high, he did win on his only try over course and distance back in April 2009 when running in very similar conditions. He runs well fresh and the double figure odds are value. The John Gallagher trained 8yo has won nine times, but hasn’t done so since almost a year ago, off a mark 1lb lower than he runs off today. Since then, he ran with credit in a couple of turf handicaps, including off a mark of 82 at Warwick, when he finished 2nd. Since that run, he did finish the season with a bit of a whimper, being well beaten on both starts at Kempton. Today, I think he’s up to running well again. He returns to Leicester, when he won on his only start here back in 2009. He absolutely hosed up that day, breaking the course record, which is still intact today. He definitely handles a testing track, as he’s won here and at Brighton and has placed at Warwick. The ground was similar that it will be today, which is another positive as all of his victories have come on fast ground. Peter Island faces a 200 day absence, and he may need the run, but he has run very respectably when fresh. He won on seasonal reappearance last year, and hasn’t run badly on a couple of other occasions. The break should have done him some good. The way the race may be run, could be of benefit, as Peter Island is a confirmed front-runner. There are a couple of other horses, who like to be prominent but Peter Island may get a length or two on the rest of the field especially as the draw has been kind. These factors considered, and at a price of 10/1, I feel he’s worth a small investment in the hope that the break has done him good, and he’s able to get to the front. If so, I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t make the first three. Peter Island; 1pt EW @ 10/1 William Hill (bog)

Re: Flat Racing; Friday 29th April LArs, i used to follow this horse and was certain it would win a biggie one day somewhere like Goodwood, however for me, i would prefer to back it over 5f as it shows such great speed, you may want to lay it in running once it goes 5L clear of the field to lock in some profit. Good luck

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.