Fair or not fair ?

@ datapunter : toss coin is the good example. if bookmaker offers tails @ 2.50 because mass punters bets on the other , you will take tails or not ? and what probability do you think that tails has. ? @ datapunter again :) : you have never answered on my question. can you answer please : what is your alternative ? For the moment, only Mulkis have proposed a table with a backtest. Please, Anybody wants argue-cons do the same . Thank you :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fair or not fair ?

The conclusion that the prices are all correct is where the error is. Maybe they are all priced wrong. Even then you can get a correct average. It really is that elementary.
They (the prices) may very well all be correct! The average will be the same. It really is that elementary.

Re: Fair or not fair ? ChrisB, the flaw in your reasoning is that with a coin toss you actually know the % in betting you do not know the % and in fact you cannot ever determine the actual % that is so elementary about "value betting" the comparison just doesn't work.

The scenario is still the same: Quote: What i did was i took 500 bets with an expectation of 40% translated in "fair odds" of 2.50 Then i took 500 bets with an expectation of 60% translates in "fair odds" of 1.66 And then i mixed them all up completely randomly. If you bet on all 1000 bets at odds of 2.00 you will break even at the end. Therefore the odds of 2.00 are COMPLETELY ACCURATE..... on average. But here's the key: they are only accurate if you actually bet on all 1000 bets. As soon as you bet on a sub-group the accuracy is no longer valid. When you bet at odds of 2.00 when the odds should actually be 2.50 you will end up making a loss. But as you also bet at 2.00 on each bet where the odds should be 1.66 that profit compensates the loss made on the 2.50 ones. So on average the numbers add up perfectly. I'm beginning to really like ChrisB and because of that every 5th bet i'm going to offer him odds of 2.25 . So out of 1000 bets 200 are offered at 2.25. Great, ChrisB bets on all of them and makes a very tidy profit. After all 200 of them have odds above average and therefore result in profit. ChrisB, you agree you make a profit ?
I am trying to explain something to you if you can manage to actually listen for 2 seconds. You are never going to get it unless you get each element involved. Now do you agree with the conclusion in this quote ?

Mulkis, yes, they may all be correct, and they may all be wrong. YOU DON"T KNOW WHICH IS THE CASE. You cannot conclude they are correct as there is the possibility they are not.
Yes, but my analysis shows that they (odds) are much more likely to be correct than not. I would suggest to take it into account and finalise this splendid discssion somehow:)

correct or wrong, at the end, there will be most correct price than wrong price. deviation% @ 5.5% justified :) yes, we know the % . not precisely, but with a low error margin. datapunter, thanks to post your alternative. i'm curious to see it, and also to advance in the interesting debate. :)

I'm beginning to really like ChrisB and because of that every 5th bet i'm going to offer him odds of 2.25 . So out of 1000 bets 200 are offered at 2.25. Great, ChrisB bets on all of them and makes a very tidy profit. After all 200 of them have odds above average and therefore result in profit. ChrisB, you agree you make a profit ?
ChrisB, DON'T! Take all 1000 @2.25 or nothing! 200 will not work!

Re: Fair or not fair ? Mulkis, if you're joining in then answer the question as it is put. You agree in the given case or not. We can only get to the next situation if you agree with the one in the quote. ChrisB, i haven't given you an alternative yet, i'm still trying to explain why your current method is flawed, so in the given situation in the quote, do you agree you make a profit ?

I'm beginning to really like ChrisB and because of that every 5th bet i'm going to offer him odds of 2.25 . So out of 1000 bets 200 are offered at 2.25. Great, ChrisB bets on all of them and makes a very tidy profit. After all 200 of them have odds above average and therefore result in profit. ChrisB, you agree you make a profit ?
You answered your question yourself in your example: "But here's the key: they are only accurate if you actually bet on all 1000 bets." This is obvious
I take that as a yes ;)

Re: Fair or not fair ? WOW, hang on one moment, back up them horses. I present you with 1000 bets, you know the strike rate is 50%, i.e. you will get 500 winners and 500 losers, on 800 bets i offer a price of 2.00, on 200 bets i offer a price of 2.25, you bet on all 1000 bets. Please explain how you do not make a profit ?

Re: Fair or not fair ? Sorry, I've understood you offering only 200 somehow pre-selected bets: "I'm beginning to really like ChrisB and because of that every 5th bet i'm going to offer him odds of 2.25 . So out of 1000 bets 200 are offered at 2.25. Great, ChrisB bets on all of them and makes a very tidy profit. After all 200 of them have odds above average and therefore result in profit." Sorry again, I am not a native english.

I present you with 1000 bets, you know the strike rate is 50%, i.e. you will get 500 winners and 500 losers, on 800 bets i offer a price of 2.00, on 200 bets i offer a price of 2.25, you bet on all 1000 bets.
Oh yes, definetely, I dont know about Chris, but in that case YES I'll take it! Where should I transfer the money?:)

WOW, hang on one moment, back up them horses. I present you with 1000 bets, you know the strike rate is 50%, i.e. you will get 500 winners and 500 losers, on 800 bets i offer a price of 2.00, on 200 bets i offer a price of 2.25, you bet on all 1000 bets. Please explain how you do not make a profit ?
If I can join the discussion :D Maybe I missed something but I need to ask! When U are saying 1000bets, 800 @2 and [email protected]... U mean on 1000bets which opening odds is @2...or ...? Sorry if my question is silly :D

betting-palace, in the presented scenario there is no timeframe yet, it's exactly as stated, you are offered 800 x 2.00 and 200 x 2.25, you bet on all 1000 right away at those odds, do you make a profit, and is that a certainty ?
and where 50% strike rate dissapeared? are u cheeting us, datapunter???:)

Re: Fair or not fair ? datapunter, are you agree with horse racing study ? ok , we forgot my 2.25 error... it would be nice to advance in the debate to compare our point of view (mulkis scenario) and the point of view of datapunter. personnaly, i respect those 2 points of view. i must admit that it's hard for me to understand why bookmakers do not offers odds that are closers to fair odds. i think also mulkis has proved otherwise with his table. now why table of mulkis would be wrong ? we are here to advance and find a solution for "fair odds" come on guys ! more participations please . thank you. :)

It hasn't changed, still the same scenario. Still 500 bets at 1.66, 500 bets at 2.50, totally random distribution into a group of 1000, strike rate 50%.
Then please proceed! I am eager to get my winnigs from your proposal! EDIT: and wait a minute, what a sh..t? Where my promissed odds of 2.00 and 2.25 dissapeared? Could you please be more consistent with the conditions!

ChrisB, please stop and listen for 2 seconds, i have already explained numerous times why it is flawed but you just don't listen. Simply answer the question. If i don't know if you agree or not i can't move to the next step.
Chris, please answer him... Its getting really boring...

Re: Fair or not fair ? ok, i bet 400 times @ 1.66 . strike rate = 60% , 10u/bet = - 41.6 i bet 400 times @ 2.50. strike rate = 40% , 10u/bet = 40 total with strike rate 50% and odd at 2.00 is -0.4 units datapunter, you are effectively right...

Re: Fair or not fair ? That question was ages ago, but i'm glad you got there in the end. Now we're still on this:

The scenario is still the same: Quote: What i did was i took 500 bets with an expectation of 40% translated in "fair odds" of 2.50 Then i took 500 bets with an expectation of 60% translates in "fair odds" of 1.66 And then i mixed them all up completely randomly. If you bet on all 1000 bets at odds of 2.00 you will break even at the end. Therefore the odds of 2.00 are COMPLETELY ACCURATE..... on average. But here's the key: they are only accurate if you actually bet on all 1000 bets. As soon as you bet on a sub-group the accuracy is no longer valid. When you bet at odds of 2.00 when the odds should actually be 2.50 you will end up making a loss. But as you also bet at 2.00 on each bet where the odds should be 1.66 that profit compensates the loss made on the 2.50 ones. So on average the numbers add up perfectly. I'm beginning to really like ChrisB and because of that every 5th bet i'm going to offer him odds of 2.25 . So out of 1000 bets 200 are offered at 2.25. Great, ChrisB bets on all of them and makes a very tidy profit. After all 200 of them have odds above average and therefore result in profit. ChrisB, you agree you make a profit ?
datapunter, with your scenario, i will not make profit.
I present you with 1000 bets, you know the strike rate is 50%, i.e. you will get 500 winners and 500 losers, on 800 bets i offer a price of 2.00, on 200 bets i offer a price of 2.25, you bet on all 1000 bets. Please explain how you do not make a profit ?
Either you do agree you will make a profit and it is certain you make a profit, or explain why you think you won't make a profit or it is not certain you make a profit.

Re: Fair or not fair ? Ok, so now you do agree there is profit and it is certain there is profit, now we come to the key question, the one this whole thread is about, Guys, please let ChrisB answer this one first, he needs to be clear in his own mind about it.

Still same scenario, I present you with 1000 bets, 500 have fair odds of 1.66, 500 have fair odds of 2.50, they are distributed in the group of 1000 completely random, you know the strike rate is 50%, on 800 bets i offer a price of 2.00, on 200 bets i offer a price of 2.25,
On this occasion you decide to ignore the 800 bets that are offered at 2.00, and you decide to bet ONLY on the 200 ones offered at 2.25. So the average of the group of 1000 is still 2.00 and it is completely accurate as you get a strike rate of 50% when you bet on all 1000. The 200 you bet on have odds of 2.25 which is above that average. Do you make a profit on those 200 ? and is it certain you make a profit ?