Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April

Sandwiched in between the Spring milke and the Lincoln is the Cammidge Trophy run over 6f. Not quite Group status but Class 1 listed, and always attracts a reasonable field. One horse that i think can land a decent sprint or 2 this year is DONCASTER ROVER, aptly named for this weeks donny race. The horse has an Amercian pedigree and boasts a record of 19 runs, 4 wins and 7 places. 4 wins have come in May, July and August twice. It seems to run well at a variety of tracks having won at Chester twice, Haydock and Newmarket. It had a recent run on Turf over at Meydan 4th behind JJ The Jet Plane. I am hoping this will have put the horse spot on for Saturday's race. Any cut in the ground will be ok as well as decent racing good ground. Ted Durcan takes the ride and at 5yo now, there are some decent prizes around for this horse this season. As its an unfashionable trainer, the price is often decent also. my only negative at ths stage is that the horse has only won in fields no bigger than 8 and being a cover up horse needs a bit of luck in a bigger field. Cant find a price yet on the race but this is one i will be playing on

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April I quite like the look of Prime Defender. 2nd in the race last year, won it the year before and 4th the year before that. If the ground is good to firm on the day will definitely be backing this one. Won the race 2 years ago off the same mark on good to firm ground and I think this one will be trained for the race.

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April I guess we'll have a better idea tomorrow when the decs come out but at the moment the Life has Adrian Nicholls riding 4 different horses........:rollin I like the Cammidge............first Listed race of the season...........

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April interesting to see what dandy runs in this listed sprint and which one he jocks his son on. id be interested in SILAAH if it was turned out after last weeks fine effort when just getting touched off in the listed sprint on the all weather at lingfield. this one has improved no end this year having shot up the ratings quite dramatically following a couple of impressive all weather victories and a gallant 2nd over in dubai. its certainly a sprinter in form and highly progressive. interestingly it does have a much lower turf rating than its all weather one so if connections decide to give it an outing in a handicap instead it could be something of a good thing for sure. either way it certainly is a beast worth noting wherever it turns out next. one other cammidge entry that took the eye was the roger charlton trained BATED BREATH who looks a improving type as a 3yo last year and could quite easily develop into a very smart prospect on this years sprinting scene. agree with you CPO that Prime Defender looks like it has certainly been aimed at the race as in previous years and sets the standard for the others to aim at. all being well we could be in for a fascinating renewal.

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April just hjad a look at the few trends i have for this race : 14 from 15 prior to last year this was there first run of the season (laid out) so of the 26 runners at present that leaves 3,6,8,10,15,16,17,18,21,22,24,25 too many runners to handle (12) so we need further refining: runners from a.w or 8yrold + are 1-33 and 1-26 respectively so discard leaving 3,10,16,17,18,21,22,25 bated breath high standing kaldoun kingdom lovelace prime defender rash judgement royal rock capercaillie 8 runners ? still no good from a betting point of view ...... class 3 or lower lto 0-25 so discard capercaillie hacap lto 1-65 so discard : rash judgement leaves bated breath high standing kaldoun kingdom lovelace prime defender royal rock this is as far as i can take this so far.......of this shortlist i personally like BATED BREATH who has a good form line with doncaster rover and fits all known trend winners of this race including the lesser 8-15 lto had run in a listed race prior to winning here but this list is quite open but thats the one im on at present ........i agree with yorkshire punter .....this looks like an improving type who could do well this season and only needs a few pounds improvement to turn form around with doncaster rover.....prime defender also looks a danger 7/15 were priced 6/1-11/1 so if bated breath falls in this range it would strengthen the bet

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April

Surely talking up a horses chances in a big race before the odds are out will only bring the available odds down?:unsure
just the way it goes i suppose, i wanted to post the race up here and my thoughts about the race. Perhaps that should put the price up

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April Bated Breath is a class act, really looking forward to seeing it run this season. I asked Roger Charlton if it needed good ground on Twitter and he replied saying it doesn't want ground too firm or too soft. I saw it run at Ponty last year and it is a very decent animal. :ok

Bated Breath is a class act' date=' really looking forward to seeing it run this season. I asked Roger Charlton if it needed good ground on Twitter and he replied saying it doesn't want ground too firm or too soft. I saw it run at Ponty last year and it is a very decent animal. :ok[/quote'] agree that Bated breath looks a decent prospect for the season but Doncaster Rover did beat it last season so not sure why it should reverse the form now, think these could be 1-2 in this race.

agree that Bated breath looks a decent prospect for the season but Doncaster Rover did beat it last season so not sure why it should reverse the form now' date=' think these could be 1-2 in this race.[/quote'] True but we were given this rather suspicious warning before the race that day: http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/roger-charlton-newmarket-july-newmarket-july-charlton-issues-warning-about-bated-breath/760632/ I feel it needs good or good to firm to be seen at its best. Drawn 13 so likely to come down middle of track or drop in behind leaders and come late. I lke Doncaster Rover too, genuine sort and you feel you'll get a run for your money with it.

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April Brave Prospector looks interesting to me, followed this horse for a while and tends to run in patches, one race he can look great another not so good. CD winner who has a decent record with Spencer on board. Best suited when running up with the pace. Bated Breath and Donny Rover both useful and interesting but at what odds?

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April im hoping bated breath will be decent odds because of his lack of run and beating by doncaster rovers .......he improved 17lbs last season and as there is only about 3lbs separating them on that run if hes improved again over the winter then it should be a good rematch between the two.....and like mowgli said that foot problem could have had an impact that day....should make for an exciting race and really looking forward to this weekends racing

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April Of course Bated Breath is favourite. I backed him on Thursday after going through the form in The Weekender. A lightly raced, potential improver. If the hunters can see it then the Cookies can see it. If you were making a book, what would you offer for Bated Breath? 8/1? I know I wouldn't.

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April Bated breath comes into this race as a prep for further targets down the line, clearly he will be fit enough to do himself justice and if the hype is right he may even win but the price is abit skinny for a horse that the trainer says is not 100% and their are bigger targets later in the season. The 2nd fav is the popular barry hills trained Prime Defender 1st and 2nd in this race in past two years i am hoping he can regain the winner thread the today, the winner of the duke of york group 2 last year beat starspangled banner that day :O anyhow he however came 11th in the king stand, 4the in a nunthorpe not short of speed or class i think he could have enough today specially going by his record fresh, 2points win @ 5/1 lads

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April I think Bated Breath is worthy favourite but if you are looking for value why has no one mentioned Jack My Boy? 2nd off 93 previously but won well off ratings of 81 and 86 and still has scope for improvement. Won at class 2 level and not that much difference usually between a decent class 2 horse and a listed horse. When it has won over 6f it has got the trip really well, still looking strong at the end of the races. A decent spring horse and likes this quick type of surface. 40-1 with a handful of bookies (Coral, SJ, Sportingbet) and price looks too big. The form with Victoire De Lyphar looks pretty solid too.

Re: Cammidge Trophy Sprint Donny Sat 2nd April Iver Bridge Lad is the potential surprise for me. Beaten by JJ the Jet Plane in Meydan last time out and has some useful form besides. Wouldn't have to find a lot more. Also despite the fact he's now a 7 year old and stats go against him, I have a feeling Docofthebay will run a big race in the Lincoln. :hope