How much is a loaf of bread? (FAO Alun Bowden ;) )

GaF

Received the April Poker Player Mag today - was reading the "Confessions of a Poker Player" on page 17 with Barny Boatman and the last question was "How much is a loaf of bread?" to which the respone was "99p (more like £1.20, but not a bad stab Barny)". Now, I dont know where the Poker Player Mag team do their shopping, but I would never dream of paying as much as 99p for a loaf of bread, let alone £1.20!! Though I do confess to giving as little of my money to supermarkets as I can get away with. A look here, http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Bread_in_ASDA.html shows the price of an 800g loaf in Sainsbury can be had for 47p. You can even get a brand name like Hovis for 75p (2 for £1.50. Usually £1.05 each). You can even get a wholemeal loaf for 60p. Even if we go up market to Ocado (Waitrose), you can get a loaf (800g) for 60p (http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Bread_in_Ocado.html) So I have to ask, where on Earth do the Poker Player Mag Team do their shopping where a loaf of bread sets them back £1.20? I much prefer Barnys answer of 99p, but even that IMO is way too high!

Re: How much is a loaf of bread? (FAO Alun Bowden ;) )

Received the April Poker Player Mag today - was reading the "Confessions of a Poker Player" on page 17 with Barny Boatman and the last question was "How much is a loaf of bread?" to which the respone was "99p (more like £1.20, but not a bad stab Barny)". Now, I dont know where the Poker Player Mag team do their shopping, but I would never dream of paying as much as 99p for a loaf of bread, let alone £1.20!! Though I do confess to giving as little of my money to supermarkets as I can get away with. A look here, http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Bread_in_ASDA.html shows the price of an 800g loaf in Sainsbury can be had for 47p. You can even get a brand name like Hovis for 75p (2 for £1.50. Usually £1.05 each). You can even get a wholemeal loaf for 60p. Even if we go up market to Ocado (Waitrose), you can get a loaf (800g) for 60p (http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Bread_in_Ocado.html) So I have to ask, where on Earth do the Poker Player Mag Team do their shopping where a loaf of bread sets them back £1.20? I much prefer Barnys answer of 99p, but even that IMO is way too high!
:eyes:eyes:eyes i think someone needs to get out more :eyes:eyes:eyes average price of a loaf here is about £1.29 and only cheaper when there on offer

:eyes:eyes:eyes i think someone needs to get out more :eyes:eyes:eyes average price of a loaf here is about £1.29 and only cheaper when there on offer
Dont you have Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco, Waitrose etc up there? :tongue2 You can always buy a loaf of bread for around 50p - without offers (but there are always offers anyway - the RRP isnt a real price :tongue2)....

Re: How much is a loaf of bread? (FAO Alun Bowden ;) ) Well I'm shocked!

According to the Office for National Statistics, the average price of a loaf of sliced bread in Britain is £1.19.
Thats from June 2010 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/7929101/Price-of-bread-could-hit-record-after-Russian-wheat-export-ban.html But I dont get it - I buy bread regularly, and would NEVER pay £1.20 for a loaf! (or anywhere near that)

Re: How much is a loaf of bread? (FAO Alun Bowden ;) ) I spend between 59p and £1.29 depending on my mood, finances, time,transport etc. Pretty dumb question really, now which would prefer to fight 50 duck sized horses or one horse sized duck? quality:ok

Dont you have Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco, Waitrose etc up there? :tongue2 You can always buy a loaf of bread for around 50p - without offers (but there are always offers anyway - the RRP isnt a real price :tongue2)....
I know were your coming from mate but if i buy bread that cheap id have a mutiny in my house,the stuff only stays fresh for a day and tastes terrible,on usually in my local aldi best of both is 99p and in farmfoods is 2 for £1.50 but sometimes your doing a big shop in the supermarket and might as well get your bread while your there and thats when i pay more so it depends were you go :ok:ok

get a wife let her do the shopping it could be £5 a loaf for all i know (or care):ok

Re: How much is a loaf of bread? (FAO Alun Bowden ;) ) This makes me laugh. We actually had an argument about this in the office, with me saying it was a perfectly reasonable answer. But apparently dictatorships are out of fashion so I had to bow to popular opinion.

Re: How much is a loaf of bread? (FAO Alun Bowden ;) ) I suppose my point is that anyone in the country can almost certainly buy a loaf of bread locally for 47p, from any of the nationwide superstores of Asda, Tesco or Sainsbury, and I'm sure many others too. Sure many will choose to pay for extras (such as brand names, convenience, pretty packaging, speciality breads, even occasionally higher quality :tongue2 etc...) but that doesn't change the fact that a basic loaf of bread is available for 47p. For me, that means that the cost of a loaf of bread is 47p. Now I was a bit thrown last night by the ONS reporting last year that the average price was £1.19, but on reflection, that is the average price once all the extras that people choose to buy have been added on. A basic loaf of bread remains available at a standard (non special offer) price of 47p. The price of a basic loaf of bread is 47p, regardless of the fact that many (most?) people choose to pay more for various perceived added value. Barny was wrong IMO with 99p, being too high (over double what a loaf costs :tongue2). The Poker Player Mag team were more wrong :tongue2 breadm.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: How much is a loaf of bread? (FAO Alun Bowden ;) ) Have you tried Tiger bread? I don't buy much bread but when I do I never ever buy their own brand.It is cheap and ok for toast.If making a sandwich it has to be thick sliced and you got to have the best.You do notice the difference. And I never freeze bread.

Before I get involved' date=' could I request, as a mathematician, that we define the term "bread"?[/quote'] Well I can send you 47p and let you find out for yourself what it is if you like :tongue2 It's one line in a mag - they didn't give a definition of what they meant by "Bread", but if you want a definition, I googled this: And a loaf is defined as: So I could have got away with a 400g loaf :tongue2 I'm not sure where you're coming from though and what this will change. I've double checked the ingredients of the smartprice loaf and it includes flour and yeast, so should meet the definition :tongue2 Are you going to tell me they're manufactured without being kneaded or something? :lol :lol :lol

Have you tried Tiger bread? I don't buy much bread but when I do I never ever buy their own brand.It is cheap and ok for toast.If making a sandwich it has to be thick sliced and you got to have the best.You do notice the difference. And I never freeze bread.
Tiger Bread gets my vote every time:D