NICKY HENDERSON -TAKEN FROM THE MAIL ONLINE

Gold Cup-winning trainer Nicky Henderson made the astonishing admission on Friday that he’d had a big bet at 16-1 on his own yard not having a single Cheltenham Festival success. The revelation, during a BBC 5 Live interview, was all the more surprising considering the ongoing racing authority investigation into Henderson’s book-keeping of drugs treatments, following the withdrawal of Binocular from the Champion Hurdle. Even more bizarrely, the wager, believed to be £1,000, was struck with the full backing of Cheltenham managing director Edward Gillespie, who discussed the bet when Henderson was their guest at a Festival preview dinner in London last week. Gillespie said: ‘I discussed the intended bet with Nicky during the meal and whether it might be misconstrued by those who don’t understand racing. (Yes, it will) ‘We had no problems with it whatsoever and gave him our 100 per cent backing to go ahead.It was what can be described as an emotional hedge bet.’ Gillespie also had no reservations about the way the racecourse’s new chairman, Robert Waley-Cohen, owner of Gold Cup victor Long Run, shamefully blocked questioning on Binoculargate after the showcase race. Waley-Cohen said: ‘We’re here to talk about Long Run, not what happened in the stables last week.’ Henderson refused again to comment on the background to the Binocular exit, saying only that it had been a ‘very cruel set of circumstances’.

Re: NICKY HENDERSON -TAKEN FROM THE MAIL ONLINE The wider issue is the relationship between trainers and bookies. These bets and deals that get struck make the trainer more likely to go easier on the enemy. The likes of Paul Nicholls are good at talking up the chances of horses that crash. There must be a good few bob in it for them.

Re: NICKY HENDERSON -TAKEN FROM THE MAIL ONLINE i often back against my own team (manchester united)..Although i dont play for them so maybe thats not the same..In fact when liverpool where fighting it out for united to win the league few years back ,i started backing liverpool to win every game..With my horrible luck and jinxiness,god crumbled and liverpool started losing at a fantastic rate..in fact manchester united should thank me for that great win This year i've been mostly backing arsenal :nana

Re: NICKY HENDERSON -TAKEN FROM THE MAIL ONLINE Geezus Goldi you got a vivid imagination. Paul Nichols is in huge demand and makes plenty from interviews etc without risking everything by getting into cahoots with some dodgy bookie.. As far sas Nicky goes he played smart enough making sure no matter what he wasn't going home emptyhanded.

Re: NICKY HENDERSON -TAKEN FROM THE MAIL ONLINE

i often back against my own team (manchester united)..Although i dont play for them so maybe thats not the same..In fact when liverpool where fighting it out for united to win the league few years back ,i started backing liverpool to win every game..With my horrible luck and jinxiness,god crumbled and liverpool started losing at a fantastic rate..in fact manchester united should thank me for that great win This year i've been mostly backing arsenal :nana
:rollin Good work TBR. :clap