Nicholls thoughts on his Chelt runners and plans

from the BF site, Nicholls comments about last week: Here are my thoughts on some of my leading lights of the week. Plans are not set in stone for any of them but this is my current thinking: Al Ferof: I was obviously delighted to win the first race of the Festival, and get Ruby on the board so soon. Al Ferof won't run again this season. Even though the Supreme was clearly a very good race - it was actually faster than the Champion - I don't think he is a horse that wants to stay hurdling too long. We will school him, put him away, and bring him back for a novice chase in the autumn, maybe at Exeter. Ghizao: Found the ground too quick and lost any chance with a blunder four out. He will go to Aintree, in the 2m race if it is soft or the 2m4f if it is better ground. Gullible Gordon: The National remains the plan with him. Definity: One of my mistakes of the meeting, running him in the 2m4f race on that ground instead of the 3m Stewart Family Spinal Research handicap. He could go for the 3m handicap at Aintree. Rock On Ruby: Ran a great race, only getting collared in the final stride in the Neptune. The form of his earlier second to Bob's Worth is clearly very solid form and the target now is the 2m4f race at Aintree. Aiteen Thirtythree: Has come back with sore shins, and Daryl said he was like a car with flat tyres coming down the hill. He will be prepared for the Hennessy. Master Minded: We were nervous of the ground beforehand, and he wants further when encountering that ground in the future. Will go for the 2m4f at Aintree and he will possibly be prepared for the King George Woolcombe Folly: Didn't get the run of the race, made a mistake two out, but wasn't at his best. Will go for the 2m handicap at Aintree, where Ryan will take 5lb off. Robinson Collonges: Was bitterly disappointing. Never jumped or travelled. Could go for the 3m novice at Aintree or even the 3m handicap hurdle there. Poquelin: Undoubtedly disappointing but perhaps he just isn't a Grade 1 winner; could go to Aintree or the Cheltenham April meeting. Big Buck's: Nothing much more to say about him. Goes to Grade 1 at Aintree, as in previous years. Zarkandar: To win the Triumph like that on his second start was awesome, and I think we have a Champion Hurdle horse on our hands; goes to Aintree. Sam Winner: Was taken off his feet early but came from nowhere to finish fourth: has always been a chaser in the making and will not run again this season. Brampour: Ran a good race in ninth in the Triumph but it could be that he is better on a flat track; goes to Aintree, where he could take in the older-age novice hurdle. Kauto Star: I'll say this again - we have no plans to retire him. I thought his excellent third would have answered those questions. Could go to Punchestown. Denman: Has come out of the race amazingly well, and it is possible he could go to Aintree. Neptune Collonges: Found the ground too quick but actually ran a fair race. I've yet to speak to John Hales about his next target but he could be interesting in something like the Scottish National. Is ground-dependent though. What A Friend: As we suspected, better ground and blinkers saw him post a much improved effort in the Gold Cup. Could run in the Totesport Bowl at Aintree but on good ground he is highly likely to run in the Grand National. King Of The Night: Was going well when falling. Runs in a handicap at Aintree. Indian Daudaie: Ran an excellent race in fourth and we will look for a 2m4f novice hurdle for him now. Tricky Trickster: Suffered a hairline fracture of a bone in his neck when falling at Ayr on Saturday; is in a bad way and the next four or five days will be crucial. Hopefully he will make a full recovery. Other than these, we still have plenty of others to run that bypassed Cheltenham - horses like Silviniaco Conti, Rebel Rebellion and Royal Charm.

Re: Nicholls thoughts on his Chelt runners and plans Master Minded for the King george, what is nicholls smoking!! Cant see it myself at all. Good to see plenty of horses aimed at Aintree though, i think a number of his have more to give this season The form of Rock on Ruby and Bobs Worth is working out well so keep an eye on that. I will be keeping a close eye on his for Aintree and what he takes over the water to Punchestown.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.