Flat Racing: 19th March 2011

8.20 Wolverhampton A Class 5 handicap over 7f and an open looking field for these 10 runners with bookies going 5/1 the field. I'm happy to take many of these on; Spin Again has chances but I'm not sure it will be granted a soft lead and, unless it is, should be taken on whilst lightly raced Woolfall Sovereign is a danger. However, suspicion is it doesn't stand its racing too well and its higher mark than last win casts enough doubts for me at a short price. Khajaaly, on form, is a worthy fav but this grade combined with an ever rising mark makes me question its chances, and Copperwood needs an easing of mark and a return to Kempton. The one that takes my eye is: Tourist (8/1 William Hill BOG) - On the face of it, imagination may be needed but looking deeper into his credentials, I think this is a top bet. A 6yo, with 42 races under its belt, this one isn't a big secret but has plenty in its favour today. Quite clearly to me, needs 7f and is best at Wolverhampton. Off a lowly mark and, with stable doing ok in 2011, we have everything to suit. Will need a decent pace but I think there's enough that like to race up with the pace to ensure we get that. In his career, has only ran off this mark twice, finishing 2nd over 9f, a trip too far, and winning over this C&D in this grade at 9/1. That was over 15 months ago but no surprise to see a repeat of that effort. Pretty much since then, this horses' mark has been fluctuating between 80 and 91 (off just 70 today) without a great deal of success (although 2 wins 12 months ago). Mark has clearly been a contributory factor but, to me, so has trip. Won 3 over 6f and since then has been campaigned at sprint trips. Those 6f wins came in fast run races (2 of them) and at Southwell (need stamina at that track), and it's evident to me that he needs a return to 7f. Last 3 runs have been off marks in the 70's (79, 75 & 72) and we've not seen much to write home about despite an improved effort last time. Again though, this trip didn't help, especially as a couple were in steadily run events. New jockey too for this run, another factor for me to consider this a bet, I just feel 8's is a big price in a 10 runner field where 12 months ago, this one would have stood out as the class act by around 20lb.

Re: Flat Racing: 19th March 2011 I know nothing about the horse, the race, the price or anything but i just got a text telling me to back Frequency on the flat today... I wont get a chance to back it myself but just passing on the word if anyone fancies a flutter

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.