William Hill Lincoln - 2nd April, Doncaster

I know most people's focus is on Cheltenham but, personally, I'm getting pretty excited about the start of the flat. Less than a month to go now. William Hill Lincoln The first big race of the season is, of course, the Lincoln, run at Donny on Sat 2nd April. I'm a couple of weeks late posting this as the 16's on offer has long since gone but the one I'm very keen on here is Taqleed, from the Gosden yard. Now favourite, 10's still available, I'm still convinced this one will be half that come race day. Not 100% certain to make the cut but only needs a handful to come out of the 118 declarations so we'd have to be very unlucky indeed for that not to happen. We've seen recently, as Penitent last year, that improving types that will develop into group performers excel in this as my charge fits the bill. Is very lightly raced, only 4 career starts to date and I'm pretty sure this one will ply its trade in group races this summer. Opened up as a 2yo with a slightly disappointing effort but had the worst of draw and was out wide all race. Off for 12 months but returning at Nottingham and trounced its maiden opposition by 9L over 1m, recording a Topspeed figure of 86 in the process. Reappeared then at Newmarket over 10f on good to soft ground and again trotted up, powering away inside the last and finishing 3.5L to the good. That was off a rating of 85 and again an excellent Topspeed figure was recorded, 103. Up in the weights again, this time to 95, Taqleed took on some top handicappers in the Cambridgeshire over 9f at Newmarket. Raced up with the pace all the way, actually hitting the front inside the 2 but wasn't helped by Camerooney carrying him left and eventually stayed on to be 6th of 35, finishing best of the 3yo's. That was an excellent run and clearly shows there is more to come. Also indicates what the trainer thinks of the horse. Everything suggests a massive run here. Goes well fresh, proves he can quicken well, races prominently which is an advantage in these big handicaps and has form over further than the distance (these big handicaps bring stamina into play too). Generally, improving types win these rather than the exposed types so even at 10's, I think this is a superb EW bet to start the season. Taqleed, 2pts EW @ 10/1 Betfred BOG (1/4 odds 1-4)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: William Hill Lincoln - 2nd April, Doncaster Think Taqleed will go well as well Russ but backed Nazreef when the market first opened. Thought he'd have his flat mark raised after his aw exploits but doesn't seem to have done. Would have been thrown in off a nice weight but willl probably take his chance in the Spring Mile now as its likely he will miss the lincoln cut. Also like Brick Red who has the potential to develop into a pattern race performer and is 16/1.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.